What bowl do you use for your salads?

newwhole30er

Ha ha! I understand your question; I actually went though this myself.

I do prefer to eat my giant salads out of a Pyrex mixing bowl. But a while back I bought a couple of Paula Deen mixing bowls in robin's egg blue on Amazon to serve as more attractive "eating bowls." They are cute, but a little too deep (rather than wide) for my preference. (I bought them before she was outed as a racist).But if you look on Amazon there are also some bright melamine mixing bowls that are cute. 

Or maybe if you look at ceramic pasta bowls you could find some that are more generous than the typical soup or salad bowl?

oooh Kirkor, yours is pretty! I'm impressed.

I vote for serving bowls--lots of nice options, though a bit heavy if you are the type to lift the bowl closer to better shovel the salad into your mouth (not that I know anything about that  :ph34r: ). These are the ones we have at the office for lunches (I use the middle size, others prefer the small one, go figure):

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/bistro-6-11.75-bowls/f24495

My husband and I went bowl shopping about a year ago for this exact purpose.  We bought two massive ceramic bowls from Pier 1 that kind of coordinate with our dishes.  They are our designated 'salad bowls'.  Occasionally they get used for serving dishes at Thanksgiving but most of the time, they are reserved for individual salads.

• 3 weeks later...

missmary, I like those bowls!  I have a bowl thing, and now I might have to go get those. I currently eat salad out of large plastic storage containers, but if I'm feeling fancy, I will use a pasta bowl.

This is me (above).

But seriously, this thread cracks me up.  I love you guys.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a pho bowl that I picked up from a local Asian grocery store. It's mixing bowl sized, but definitely looks like table-ware. It's pleasantly decorative and because it's plastic it's light.

Edit: I don't toss in these, only serve to eat.... heaping.

• 5 months later...

I prefer a very large pyrex mixing bowl for giant salads. Unless it's dirty. Then I use a very large rectangular plastic tupperware type container. Unless it's dirty. Then I use a smaller pyrex mixing bowl (which is by no means small, just not the roomiest one I own)... unless that's dirty. And if it is, I cry, because it's too many dirty dishes and I'm hungry for my dang salad!

I use a large round wooden bowl for my salads at home.  I think it was meant as a serving bowl, but it is a perfect size for me and I like the way it looks.  It cannot be put in the dishwasher, but I'm fine with that.

Archived