On day 29 and have no idea what I'm doing next

Mbert

I am on day 29 of my first Whole30 and I have no idea what I am going to do in two days. I have been reading ISWF, but as a college student, I don't have much free reading time. When I started the Whole30, I expected to feel miserable, as many people had warned. But I didn't, and I think part of this is due to fairly healthy eating habits before the W30 (not always great and nowhere near Paleo, but I did eat lots of raw spinach and fruit on a regular basis, which is pretty good by college standards :) ). Throughout the W30, I kept waiting for an energy surge or some sort of amazing results, and while I do feel better simply from eating healthy food and for being disciplined, I don't feel so much more crazy amazing that I want to eat this way for the rest of my life.

But I don't know what to do! I have read all over the W30 discussion boards and searched all over the internet and still feel at a loss. I have thought about going Paleo, but there are so many different degrees of Paleo. I thought about doing a 95% Whole30 and 5% relaxed eating. I've thought about doing a “whole food†diet, where I am very cautious about the ingredients and foods I put in my body, but more relaxed with things like natural sugar and whole wheat. But I think what it comes down to is that I am so scared to commit to something for the rest of my life. Right now I feel paralyzed to the point that I am worried that I will just never stray from the Whole30 regimen, and while it is a healthy and great way to eat, I don't think that is what W30 is intended to be, especially if it is driven by guilt and fear.

Also, if I begin re-introduction and find that dairy or sugar or whole wheat doesn't affect my body in a negative way, does that mean it is okay for me to eat it in moderation? Or is it bad for everyone and some people just don't feel the results?

And if I do the 95%/5% thing, is the 5% going to completely mess up all of the good things I do during the 95%? Are there some foods that have irreversible effects?

And how do I manage special occasions, like trips home, dinners out with friends, birthdays, and holidays? Again, will I do irreversible damage if I allow myself to have treats? And how often is a treat acceptable?

Thanks to those who manage to make it through my crazy, fear-induced ramblings. And thanks in advance for any suggestions and responses.

-M

Oh my...you have a lot going on in your head. :) I would take the time to transition as the book says and then take it one day at a time after that.

Personally, I did my first Whole30 a year ago August 1. I started my second one on Sept 1 of this year. Inbetween I was probably 90-95% Whole30, but I didn't obsess. What I did do is carefully and mindfully choose my off road times. Thanksgiving with my family was a time I relaxed. The next day, I went right back on Whole30.

If I am going out to dinner with friends or over to a friend's house, I relax and enjoy without going crazy. Most of my friends know my eating habits, so it's usually quite easy to stay on track with them at their houses. What would I do if I was invited to someone's house who I didn't know well and they were serving pasta? It hasn't happened yet, but I imagine I would concentrate on salad and eat some pasta. I don't do the "I can't eat ...whatever" because honestly, I have never had a huge problem with any of the food groups. However, I do know I feel better when I stay away from dairy and grains of any kind. Sugar doesn't mean much to me either way, but it seems to always come heavily laden with dairy and/or grains, so I tread lightly there.

You will figure out what works for you. I'm impressed that you did this as a college student. Congrats! :)

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I think what I need to internalize is that it is okay to make mistakes, I can always come back to Whole30 eating. I have a perfectionist problem ;) .

-M

Oh, I'm the same way. Yes, if what you choose to do after doesn't work, you can jump right back on the Whole30 horse and then choose better after that 30. :) Just don't over think it. I often do and have really had to work on myself to STOP doing that. :)

Archived