Round 2! I can do this

snailytrail

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been here, but I'm SO glad to be back.

I'm on Day 5 of my second round of Whole 30. In fact, I think this is going to be a Whole60. I haven't decided yet and I haven't committed either because my first round (2 whole years ago) was really really tough going with my sugar dragon but it seems to me this time that that's actually a good reason to do a Whole 60. I really need to grips with the things and slay it as much as I can.

A Whole 60 takes me up to two days before Christmas. I can DO this! Prior to starting I was making some really poor food choices and felt dreadful so in some ways right now I'm the most motivated I've ever been. And I might as well be honest here and say that having done two years of Paleo eating (following my Whole 30) I've knocked all sorts of things on the head with regards my health but my weight has been up and down and all over the place. This is because of my sugar dragon and it's not ok. I'm now back to being the exact weight I was before I started my first Whole 30 and that feels absolutely dreadful. I need to get it off for my health and my emotional well being. It is secondary to everything else but it still matters.

So far my first 5 days have been easy. I've just broken up with someone so I'm really going through the wringer and I really expected this to be tougher, but I did a lot of prep before I started and am making sure to eat the nicest food I possibly can. It helps so much, even if it's expensive. I just wish the days were rolling around a little quicker!! I keep thinking about how it will feel when I get to Christmas and I feel healthier and strong and powerful and slimmer and I can go into the new year with a head start by maybe doing another Whole 30 then.

So bring it on, I'll look forward to popping into other peoples' logs and seeing how you're all doing. We can do this!

So great that you have decided to start again! I have a quite powerful sugar dragon myself and will be doing my first Whole30 soon, so may I ask if/how you slayed it the first time around?

Also, this is SUCH a good way to handle a breakup! That's awesome :) 

XO

The Whole30 will help the emotional ache - I had the same experience early in my 2nd W30 and the W30 focus really helped. I'm at day 152 and originally started with a goal of Whole30, then I changed it to Whole92 (all of our Winter), then Whole 183 (Winter & Spring). The extended goal absolutely helped me get through the yo-yo stage. My suggestion is to set your goal as a Whole90 so you push through Christmas focused & strong, rather than get to Christmas and binge on the dragon and undo all the fantastic work you've done before.

Just a thought :)

Hello and thank you! Lots of luck Miamis, you can do this. I'm still working on the sugar dragon, but the things which have minimised it for me are eating enough fat (having no hunger really really helps) and journalling. It is keeping me committed so far. I've always done best over the last two years if I've done both of those. Variety of food help too.

Thank you about the break up. To be honest, I've been binging this year whenever we argued, I didn't even realise I was doing it. I suddenly twigged that perhaps a relationship isn't healthy for you if you're struggling to eat well and not binge. It has felt like such a positive step to go straight into this, like however heartbroken I am (and I really am), I'm doing something positive to rebuild my future. I keep thinking in 60 days I'll hopefully look in the mirror and feel so proud and that will make me feel really strong again.

WholeDave, holy maraconi. Are you kidding me? 152 days? seriously, I'm so impressed. Has it been hard? I have been sitting here today funnily enough wondering whether I should do a Whole90. Christmas feels a bit flat this year, it will just be me and my parents and it isn't a hard day to get through doing paleo really. I need to do some thinking about whether it's a good idea. At the moment I'm not sure it's quite right for various reasons but then going on a sugar binge doesn't appeal at present. I really will give it some serious thought though.

As with my first Whole30, it was hard to start, going through the usual withdrawal symptoms and cravings. But over time the routine really cranked up so that it has become a lifestyle not a program. I've been super consistent with breakfasts and that has driven my days. The journelling is absolutely fundamental for me - looking back on the hard days, celebrating small successes, picking patterns, getting fantastic support from the W30 community and my W30 moderator mentor. It's helped me understand my own body so now I don't worry if I have a large food day - it's because I need it.

I've learned to listen to my body and as my exercise patterns have increased (I didn't do any exercise at all for the first month and it has gradually increased so that I'm now getting a consistent level of activity across a week even though it is in bursts because of my busy work life) I am now able to take advantage of my increased fitness which in turn drives my desire for healthy fresh whole food rather than processed stuff.

The "secondary" benefits can't be understand either - significantly improved mental health, self awareness, self worth, emotional strength - they all drive a fundamental belief that counters potential challenges with cheats or off-roading (and also help when friends & colleagues give you sh*t about why you're not eating/drinking/being weird/blahblahblah :D)

It's really inspiring reading what you have to say. Thank you for sharing. I had a good nose through your log and a few other people's who have been doing this for 60 days plus and am learning lots.

Day 7 here. I can't believe how much easier this is than my first round. I am counting down the days but only because I'm impatient for my results, not because I'm wanting to get to a point where I can eat crap again. It is so liberating. I miss nothing at all right now. To be saying that is amazing, bear in mind I've put off doing this round for two years because the programme felt too strict. Amazing how my relationship ending has fired me up.

Really agree Dave that the right breakfast sets you up well. Sparkling water and bone broth feel crucial right now to me not missing other things. A bit worried I'll start running out of ideas for meals and get bored but I'm not going to give that too much headspace. There are so many nice things out there to eat.

Day 8 done and in the bag!! I feel like a champion today. Last night was the first time I felt I was struggling a little. I couldn't imagine eating MORE meat or MORE eggs. Today I just sucked it up and tried to eat nice food and after a few tears I was back on track. Supper was delicious and I'm doing really well. It feels easy again. It's funny how it changes day to day.

I'm excited to get days 9 and 10 done because in my mind it feels like I'm really into it then and getting the days ticked off. My clothes are definitely starting to feel looser just on Day 8 which is great. I feel so heavy right now so any change is welcome.

I just can't believe how I've struggled all year with slipping up and binging and craving things and these 8 days I've really not felt any desire for sugar at all. It's giving me confidence than my whole life won't be ruled by food.

I watched some of 'Fed Up' on Netflix too, that definitely helped. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's so interesting.

Hoping to go and pick up some fresh fish this week and do some more meal planning so I have lots of variety. I can do this!

That's fantastic, keep it up! Fish will definitely help. When I feel like I can't eat too much meat and eggs I load up with veggies, especially greens and starchy ones plus some good fat. Satisfies you without feeling like you've eaten a whole cow lol :)

I'm still here! Day 12 today, will be great to get to the half way point! It's been quite a hard week emotionally regarding my break up and for the first time I have been struggling. But I've told myself it will pass, have written down how I'm feeling and after the year I've had with binging it feels so great to have stuck with it.

My trousers are definitely looser. I have a thing where I definitely expect far too many changes too soon, but really my body has definitely changed for the better. Still motivated to make this a Whole60, still open though depending on how the next 2 weeks go.

I need to go shopping tomorrow and explore some new recipes. I definitely start to feel restricted doing this after a while. My head keeps reminding me how much easier this would be if I could eat dairy. I don't actually react negatively to it so I will re-introduce it after 60 days but I've committed to this so going to keep away from it for now. I definitely find it hard to manage portion sizes when I do eat it.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Archived