Eating too much post-workout?

angiebeth04

I work out first thing in the morning after I wake up... at 5am.... (after my pre-workout snack, of course).  My workouts typically consist of 30- 40-minute high intense cardio/interval training (think P90X3 or T25) with occasional weighlifting mixed in throughout the week.  On the weekends I'll usually increase my workouts to about 60 minutes since I have more time.

Does this amount of exercise require a full post-workout meal?  

Pre-workout I'll eat a slice of prosciutto, post-workout is about 1 cup of chicken sausage & sweet potato hash.  I try to keep my servings small since my workouts aren't super long, however they are intense.

I've been reading other threads that sort of touch on this topic - since I do wish to reduce bloating/inflammation on this program and shed a few pounds, should I just eat only protein post-workout and skip the starchy veggies? 

Thanks!

You don't mention what day you are on, so I would suggest that if you are in the first two weeks still (or thereabouts) that you stick with the starchy veg alongside the protein on the days that you lift & after your weekend session, remembering that you really only need a few bites of each - your body will only absorb a small amount of protein postWO anyways so it's pointless eating too much. Once you're in the swing of things you can experiment a little and see what works for you.

I knew I forgot to mention something!  I just recently reached the half-way point, I'm on Day 18.  My energy levels are fine when I am working out and I do feel like my post-workout meal is getting my metabolism going because I definitely feel hungry come breakfast time.

Archived