Wholeheartedly Whole30

annieaa

Hello all,

My family is embracing Whole30. We're on week one and I have to say, it's VERY similar to my eating habits from days gone by OTHER THAN, it's taking it to a more holistic method.  All natural and no processed AT ALL is a welcome upgrade. 

I'm looking for feedback/advice on the following aspects:

1. I'm about 30-40lbs overweight.  I'd like to lose, but the reason we chose Whole30 isn't to LOSE, but to feel better to WANT to get more active - the better I feel, the more energy I have, etc.  However, I did expect to realize some loss based on what we would be eating.  We typically eat chicken with beef about once every 6 days or so.  We have fish about 2x per week.  We've had pork - I focus on loin chops (the other white meat) and we avoid ribs, butt, etc.  We only use ghee or olive oil - and I cook with only about 1 T when I saute.  The ONLY starch we eat are potatoes.  We LOVE japanese sweet or yukon and I put them in only ONE meal per day for ME.  My husband (6'4" and VERY active for his job) get's them whenever he dang well pleases.  :-)  I haven't lost weight at all.  I know this because of how I feel. What would cause me to NOT experience any weight loss with this program - to clarify - what should I avoid/adopt to ensure that anticipated weight loss would be best realized?

2.  I'm ALWAYS having a very loose stool.  ALL the time.  Typically MOST active in the am, but I haven't had a firm one since we started.  I thought it might be not enough veggies, but I have veggies at EVERY meal.  

3.  Almond and Cashew butters and nuts are a gateway drug.  For me, I can't seem to manage them.  When I first started, I was reading the meal template but MIS-reading it.  I thought I was allowed ONE piece of fruit per DAY; one avocado per DAY.  Upon re-reading, it's my understanding that I should include one fat PER MEAL and I need to choose wisely what that is (coconut, butters, mayo, avocado).  Is this right??  With fruits, is it best to avoid dried?  I have dried and unsweetened and I love eating those, but will refrain if that would assist. 

4.  I'm drinking about 100 oz of water per day.  Nothing added to it other then a squeezed lemon once in a while. 

Thank you so much for the help and feedback.  Thank you in advance for all the info that's already been provided.  I appreciate the openness and desire to share.  

Annie

• Moderators

The way the Whole30 leads to weight loss is through getting your hormones to cooperate with fat burning instead of fighting against it. Most people do not gain the cooperation of their hormones in one week. Most people require several weeks and some require 4-6 weeks. It is too early for you to expect weight loss from anything except water loss at this point. So relax, you are doing fine.

If you restrict fat intake, you will interfere with your hormones beginning to help you with fat loss. The meal template should be read as you must include at least one serving of fat with every meal and you may add more fat to achieve good taste. Cooking fat tends to stay in the pan and not become a part of your meal, so you are not really getting a serving of fat when you count cooking fat in many circumstances. 

If you restrict food intake, you will interfere with your hormones... In other words, be sure to eat at least the meal planning template minimum and don't look for ways to avoid food.

I have shifted my opinion about probiotic supplements over the past year. I now think it wise to take one daily. I currently take Primal Flora from Primal Blueprint. My bowel movements have thanked me. :) If you need an OTC medication to tighten things up fast, that is okay. 

I am glad you are avoiding nuts and nut butters. They are too big a problem to juggle most of the time.

What you should know about probiotics

2.  I'm ALWAYS having a very loose stool.  ALL the time.  Typically MOST active in the am, but I haven't had a firm one since we started.  I thought it might be not enough veggies, but I have veggies at EVERY meal.  

3.  Almond and Cashew butters and nuts are a gateway drug.  For me, I can't seem to manage them.  When I first started, I was reading the meal template but MIS-reading it.  I thought I was allowed ONE piece of fruit per DAY; one avocado per DAY.  Upon re-reading, it's my understanding that I should include one fat PER MEAL and I need to choose wisely what that is (coconut, butters, mayo, avocado).  Is this right??  With fruits, is it best to avoid dried?  I have dried and unsweetened and I love eating those, but will refrain if that would assist. 

On the loose stools, is this something that was the case before your Whole30, or only since you've been doing your Whole30?  If the latter, post 2-3 days worth of your meals, and we can see if anything stands out (start by laying off the nuts and nut butters).

Fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you're going to have it, the recommendation is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. Try to only have fruit with meals (not letting fruit push vegetables off your plate), not on its own as a snack. Limit dried fruit, as it can be like candy (also confirm the ingredients for compliance).

As someone who has been on what she calls a fat to fit journey since March of this year, I will just say this: 

You may not think you are losing weight based on how you feel, but you might actually be losing fat. If you weighed yourself (obviously, DON'T but you get what I'm saying), the number *could* be lower, even if you don't feel it. 

But as Tom said, it's week 1. It's still so early days, PLUS at this point, I would just focus on making healthy changes for life. You will see pounds drop off over time, not overnight. One week of healthy eating isn't going to make you skinny just like one week of poor eating isn't going to make you overweight. 

I'm on Day 12 and am feeling great. Have I lost weight? I have no clue. Do I care? You know, the shallow part of me does care a little bit. But more than the number on the scale, I know I *feel* good. And that means more to me than a number on a scale. At some point, you have to put quality of life first. I feel like Whole30 is about just that. 

Best wishes to you on the rest of your journey!

Archived