Starting Nov 2nd with husband, but I'm nervous!

AVazquez

My husband and I are starting the Whole30 on Monday Nov. 2nd, but I'm nervous. We decided that there's never a "good" time to start, so we just decided on a day and went for it. We won't be able to eat everything at family celebrations this month or at Thanksgiving, but we still decided to go for it. My husband and I both have experience dealing with awkward dinner moments where we can't eat what everyone else is because we're Christian and we fast. However, it's been a while since the last time we've had to stand our ground. We're both Mexican and refusing food is not taken lightly. Our families love us, and they don't try to pressure us, but I'm concerned about being rude. 

Welcome!

You can decide to be polite but firm about what you choose to put in your body without being rude.

Bring delicious compliant food to share at family gatherings.  If people ask why you're not eating a certain dish, tell them you're temporarily eliminating certain foods to learn whether/how they impact your health. 

It may help to join a group of folks that are doing a Whole30 around the same time as you, so you have some additional camaraderie and support to help you stay on track. Here is one group that is starting November 1st.

I'm starting tomorrow, too for a round 2.  I am so excited to be back posting! I have some cauliflower rice, veggies, chicken, and sunshine sauce pre-made for a nice lunch tomorrow. The first 10 days are the hardest. 

Any delicious meals in the works for you guys?

I'm starting today too!! I'm excited and scared, I'm Mexican too my mom has diabetes and I want to inspire her to take care of herself better. I'm nervous about the holidays coming up, I love food and thanksgiving is going to be hard to say no but I know with eacithers support we can do this!

My family is Hispanic too and I was at my mother-in-laws Saturday and she was trying to send me home with tortillas and homemade beans which I love and would normally take but my husband and I were starting 11/2 as well. So I politely refused a couple of times and when she asked me the 3rd time I explained "no because it's not on our diet" that was the simple explanation for her and she told me I was "loca" to not eat even corn tortillas for 30 days.

That made me laugh because it sounded silly when she said it but I had been privately having the same thoughts before. That's when it dawned on me, "it's only for 30 days, not the rest of my life" and I told her that.

In truth her and my father-in-law are excited to see if this will make real changes for my husband and I as they want the best for us, and I'm sure your family does too so if you tell them that then how can they not be supportive?

Good luck!

Whoo Hoo . . . November 2nd start! I'm back for a second time. I completed two back to back rounds at the beginning of the year, and did amazing! Lost 25-lbs, eliminated a ton of bad choices from my diet, and made really positive strides with some health issues. But life happens, and after two unexpected deaths in the family and some setbacks with my health, I found myself slipping back into some of my old bad habits. I decided to get back on track, and spent the entire day yesterday food prepping for this week. I finally stepped on the scale today and found that I had gained back 15 of the 25-lbs I had lost. :( But today is a new start. We've got this!!

Look out day 2 here we come...

Breakfast

2 farm fresh eggs over easy

1 cup broccoli and 1/2 cup of bell peppers sauteed in coconut oil with whole30 steak rub

1/6 pound homemade sausage patty

6 almonds - heartburn prevention

2 cups black coffee

Time to go screen print some ball caps.  Have a good morning everyone!

I started yesterday with my niece.  Had my gallbladder removed back on October 8th and am just tired of feeling bad all the time.  Creeping up on 40 and need to get myself in better shape so I thought I would try this.  So far the only problem I'm having is that I miss my coffee with sugar and creamer in it.  Probably going to just drink hot tea so I can stop the no caffeine headaches because I DO NO like black coffee.

I get intimidated with large crowds (offline, and I guess online, too), so this sparse Nov 2 thread feels right at home for me. :P

How was everyone's first day? I've managed not to scare anyone with anger so far ;) I even managed to get in a workout, which I totally failed at incorporating on my last Whole30. Patiently awaiting until I hit peak "kill all the things" mode. Likely when the sugar withdrawal starts.

Yesterday:

M1: 2 eggs fried in ghee, steamed broccoli with leftover ghee from the egg pan, 3 pieces of crispy proscuitto

M2: Caulilower rice, 3 chicken drum sticks, sauteed peppers / onions / green beans / bok choy, "sunshine sauce" from the W30 book

M3: Citrus baked cod, cabbage slaw w/ peppers and lemon-garlic dressing, mashed sweet potatoes.

Breakfast today was leftover cauliflower rice and veggies stir fried with 2 eggs and sunshine sauce. Having some leftover fish and slaw for lunch. Heading to the gym after work, so I'm thinking dinner will be an easy one. I'm thinking compliant sausage, veggies, and sauerkraut.

TDWebb, have you tried compliant canned coconut milk in your coffee? I promise that it is super delicious.

Bronwyn, yes I did try the canned coconut milk and I didn't like it.  I think I will just stick with tea.  Day 3 and I'm feeling super foggy headed today.  Doing okay food wise, not having any cravings or crankiness yet.  My niece made eggplant sliders for our dinner last night and both her and my daughter did not like it.  She also made homemade Ranch dressing and they didn't like that either.  I like it but I ordered Tessamae's Ranch dressing for them today.  Hopefully they will like that.  I had leftover chicken apple sausage casserole this morning and a banana for breakfast, will have leftover eggplant sliders and salad for lunch and blackened salmon, asparagus, green beans and baked potatoes for dinner.

I love doing a sweet potato bun for my burgers. Eggplant is totally hit or miss with me. When I'm not on W30, I use a sweet potato pancake from Balanced Bites as my bun. Too good.

Is it day four already? Unreal. I was feeling inspired last night, so I made somewhat of an easy fancy meal for my fiance and myself. Breakfast and lunch were leftovers from days previous (eggs, veggies, sausage, zzzz). Dinner was these chicken breasts and coconut almond green beans.

Oh man. You guys *need* to try these. Not only are they time efficient, but are incredibly easy and tasty. Not just "Whole 30" tasty, but can please literally any palette. This is me giving a massive thumbs up to Mel Joulwan and her abundance of interesting, flavorful recipes.

Today:

M1: Steamed broccoli sauteed in garlic, olive oil, and chili flakes. 2 pieces of crispy prosciutto and 2 eggs. A dab of sunshine sauce.

M2: Leftover chicken tossed with W30 mayo, mixed kale salad

M3: Going to be making Melissa's chicken hash!

How's everyone doing?

Hey November peeps!  And especially hello to Bronwyn, just because I'm a (transplanted) Canuck, too (I'm on a job assignment in South Korea right now, but I AM Canadian and I've lived all over Canada).

I explained elsewhere that I'm *not* doing an official Whole30 (yet) but I am doing "demo days" to test out compliant recipes and slowly prep my pantry and fridge with a target to do Whole29 (+1) in February 2016 (get it - 29 days in February + March 1?).

M1: Shredded cabbage and two eggs fried in ghee with a side of butternut squash roasted with coconut oil - everything topped with sea salt & black pepper

Pre-WO: Toasted coconut-almond-apricot ball (my own recipe; I'm on the fence about whether it violates the "no baked goods" rule - you don't bake it - it's almond butter with pieces of dried apricot and coconut flakes stirred in until you can pick it up and roll it around in more coconut flakes and sea salt for a coating) and half an apple - not the best pre-WO I understand - I'm still trying to figure out good, easily digestible pre-WO protein sources.  It was a lacklustre workout, that's for sure

Post-WO: Leftover roasted butternut squash with sea salt

M2: Mixed salad greens topped with shredded chicken pieces, dried cranberries, clementine orange segments and EVOO & balsamic vinegar (which I sadly realized is not compliant since it contains sulfites - this is part of the prep to get me ready for the real deal!)

M3: I impressed myself with this one: sauteed onions and apple in EVOO then added in cubes of cooked white potato and baked chicken breast, seasoned with rosemary, sage & thyme and then poured the skillet mixture into a half a roasted squash "bowl".  I can't wait to eat the leftover skillet with some eggs and/or sausage for breakfast tomorrow.  

If I don't hit the massive "hangover" stage tomorrow I'm hoping to get a good workout.  Would appreciate some good tips on pre and post-WO mini meals.  I was actually thinking of a post-workout "smoothie" (and yes, I know the Whole30 position on smoothies) of compliant canned coconut milk, a splash of OJ, a banana and some beef collagen protein powder.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Is anyone else anxious about the first weekend? I'm going to miss my big glass of wine after work.

For folks who have done this before, any advice for approaching social settings? I hate talking about food/dieting but friends are going to wonder why I'm not having a beer or eating a burger. 

Hi spillykate (and everyone else!),

I'm happy to report that I had a half a chicken breast first thing for my pre-WO and I was shocked that I had good energy levels during my HIIT workout (>45 minutes).  In, fact I was shocked that I felt like working out at all - I am anticipating the day 2-3 "hangover" feeling although maybe it won't be my experience, since everyone is different.

So, since I'm in Korea I'm well into my Saturday, I thought I'd respond to spillykate's comments.  First of all HAVE A PLAN.  What ARE you going to eat/drink instead?  You can try sparkling water/club soda (as long as it is not sweetened) with a splash of lemon, lime or fruit juice.  People might even assume it's an alcoholic beverage and you don't have to set the record straight.  And you CAN eat the burger - just leave off the bun and any non-compliant condiments/toppings.  And remember, someone else's response to YOUR eating is NOT your responsibility.  In fact, when you really think about it, it's weird (although totally common) that other people are at all concerned at what you're putting in YOUR mouth.  YOU worry about YOU; let them worry about them.  This is true not just of the Whole30, but of any diet.  You should never have to defend choices for YOUR health, but for whatever reason, it can make people feel insecure/defensive/uncomfortable about THEIR choices.  So it's a great choice to educate them.  Just focus on the real, good food you ARE eating and explain you're trying it for the short term for some health benefits (whatever's most important to you).

Hope that helps!  We're going to see a movie tonight and possibly even attend an open house celebration, so I'll eat before we leave and bring some emergency compliant snacks (check the Whole30 downloads for emergency eating out options).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

That's awesome! I love me a Canadian. And I don't know about you, but I'm loving what's happening in the country right now with Justin Trudeau  :rolleyes:

I've heard a hard-boiled egg and a dab of guacamole makes a good Pre-WO snack. Your almond butter one sounds absolutely delicious, too. Sounds like the chicken worked well! 

I agree that having a plan for any potential situation works well on weekends. You could try a Whole30 mocktail, a glass of kombucha, etc. I was invited out for drinks (which I heard apparently turned into a bar crawl) with a group of friends that I had to turn down for this weekend. I'm not all that confident in saying "no thank you" since it's the first week and all. It's really awkward and embarrassing to explain to friends sometimes, but ultimately it's you life, it's for 30 days, and they will totally understand.

Burgers with a lettuce wrap, hold the bun, hold the cheese are not quite as delicious, but still great! 

Weekend is going well so far! Yesterday I finished the week with a nice strip steak, potatoes, and balsamic roasted veggies. I can feel the sugar leaving my body, and my brain is screaming! Ahhhh. Lots of leftovers in the fridge. I should be good to go! 

Archived