wanting to give up

Hi I am on my first ever whole30. Starting day 8 and I just want to give up.  Super amount of stress in my life over the last few days. I stayed on track with my food but this morning I am feeling worse than ever. I am hungry. I am tired. I want my coffee.  And frankly anything else that will give me some comfort.  Words of help anyone?

eat some food and drink some coffee.

The whole30 doesn't ask you to go hungry. If you are, it means you aren't eating enough. Instead of going off plan, eat more of the good stuff. Load up your plate with good quality protein and fat and lots and lots of vegetables (don't forget starchy ones, like sweet potato or winter squash or white potatoes, even).

Why are you going cold turkey on caffeine along with the whole30? Although an admirable goal, it might be easier to add that restriction after your whole30 is done. If you are used to sweet milky coffee, you might do ok with coconut milk or coconut oil blended in (no sweeteners, of course). Or you might prefer going the opposite direction and having black coffee or black tea.

Good job sticking with the whole30 during a stressful time!

the reason I am going cold tukey on the caffine is because I haven't been able to find a way to make my coffee that I like. I am taking caffine pills periodically but I would love to wrap my hands around a nice creammy cup of coffee.....I will keep trying......I think it is as much emotional for me as anything else. I am already thinking that After I will be doing whole30 ish that includes my one cup of creamy slightly sweet coffee 2 or 3 times a week :P

Consider experimenting with different coffee beans, along with compliant coconut milk/cream.

Also, play with non-food ways to respond to stress.

If you'd like more specific help on how to alter your food intake to keep you satiated, post a few days worth of your food, water intake, hours of sleep and any exercise. We can take a look for possible tweaks.

Do you have a blender? Try full fat coconut milk pulsed in the blender with your coffee. It's very creamy infact I enjoy it more than half and half and haven't looked back

Also definitely eat more food!! Figure out a day where you can do a cookup and makes loads of complaint tasty foods. Make mayo, make chicken, roast some veggies. You'll thank yourself later.

Seconding the suggestion to try different coffees. I find flavored coffee (caramel, coconut macadamia, and the ubiquitous pumpkin spice) with coconut milk can really help. Or try even just using the coconut cream in your coffee from some higher-quality canned coconut milk for a few days. Starting Whole30 AND giving up coffee at once is rough.

Hiya,   I am in the same boat as you. I had to give up coffee as I only like it creamy and sugary.  I did have it for a few days with full fat coconut milk which was ok, but over the weekend I did without and I think I am done with any caffine wtihdrawl but not sugar.  I am also going through high stress situations right now and all I can think about is how a creamy cup of sugary coffee would make me feel better.  I try and justify and it and tell myself that it is my dopamine receptors that need the sugar to feel better, but it doesnt help.  I need something to comfort me in the same way, but nothing is the same.    I am an emotional eater and not sure that is ever going to go away. So going through high stress and not allowing yourself to turn to what normally helps you deal with stress  = a very unhappy camper.   I am not sure this was the right time to do a Whole30 :(  

I don't really want to give tough love, but I will :) There is no "right time" to do Whole30.

I am weaning my baby from nursing. I work 50+ hours/week. I have two small children (8 months and 2.5 years old). I am closing on my first home. I am an emotional eater.

Listen, you CAN do this. Exercise your willpower and truck on. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Do you want to eat sugar and suffer the effects of that MORE than you want to complete Whole30 and the commitment you made to yourself?

You made a commitment to yourself. That means something.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

Try Holy Basil tea or Tulsi tea.  It helps with stress.  I'm on day 9 and I am and emotional eater, and a sugar addict.  I drink three cups per day.  It is an adaptogen in that it helps your body deal with stress.  I found out about it through another clean eating program, I didn't end up doing that program but I did use this tea to help wean myself off of an antidepressant.  It doesn't make you feel funny or anything, I just find it is easier to deal with things.  My husband is a total junk food eater and is not doing the program with me.  I cook separate non whole30 meals and snacks for him.  I've been able to resist eating off plan so far.  Good luck!

My husband is a total junk food eater and is not doing the program with me.  I cook separate non whole30 meals and snacks for him. 

how does he feel about not getting to get all the glorious benefits of eating healthy? Is it cool with it, or does it sort of depress him that he can't commit to it?

My boyfriend committed to whole30, and I'm so proud of him. Its been very hard for him. He was begging me this weekend if he could have a beer before the game, poor guy

Archived