Ghee: Buying Vs. Making

beaglesloveblueberries

My boyfriend and I just started our first Whole 30 on Sunday. Pre W30 we always used Kerrygold butter, which would normally be fine except it's not clarified. I was going to get a bunch and make ghee with it, but then I found a huge tub of it at the market that I suspect will last us the whole 30 days, if not more. The only problem is that it was sort of pricey (13 dollars for 13 oz) but I figured that this would actually be more cost effective than trying to make that much since grass fed butter can be close to 5 dollars a package and I guessed it would take 4 or 5 to make the same amount as the store bought, but now I'm not so sure

I was wondering, for those of you who make their own ghee, how much ghee do you get out of a package of butter once it's clarified? Do you find it more cost effective to buy it or make it?

• Moderators

It's really all a matter of personal preference.  I think the stuff from Trader Joes tastes and smells atrocious but there are people on here who list that particular one as their favorite.

I think home made would always be better, personally but that ends up being personal choice as well because some people are not interested in mucking about with making it.

ps. To the posters about to reply and say it's not difficult, I'm aware, it's just not something I choose to spend time mucking with... but yes, it's dead easy!

I make my own ghee and I like it a little brown. It's easy to make, but it requires attention while cooking and care while straining.

Personally, I would never buy it, but I understand why someone would prefer store-bought over homemade.

• 2 years later...

This thread comes up first in google so I figured I'd update it with my results from this morning.

Started with 2lbs of butter, or 8 sticks.  Skimmed a little of the foam off the top as it simmered but mostly just let the solids settle out to the bottom. Spilled a little bit as I poured it through the cheesecloth. Also left a little in the pan floating on top of the solids, since I didn't trust my cheesecloth enough to keep the whole mass filtered.

Ended up with 21oz, so that's only a 66% yield.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived