How often do you weigh after W30?

I completed a W30 and have been "life after W30" for 7 or so months. I am also postpartum and weighed myself each week for most of those months, watching the weight consistently drop. I have hit the weight where I think my body is happy and healthy, so I have plateaued, and am fine with that, but I find myself anxious about GAINING weight now. I get anxious when the weekly weigh in day arrives, even though I feel good and don't have any reason to truly believe I've gained weight (my new clothes all fit fine) and in fact my lowest weight was 3 lbs below where my goal was. 

So my question is...how often do you all weigh yourselves in Life after W30? I have read elsewhere that weighing weekly is a good barometer of how you're doing, but I think that's too often for me. Is once a month too infrequent? (Btw, I do not own a scale--but there is one in the bathroom where I work! So I have to face it multiple times a day, M-F!)

Honestly I cannot tell you the last time I stepped on a scale.

My barometers?  How my clothes fit, how my energy levels are, how my nails and skin seems to be doing, and how well I sleep at night.

Personally I had to break up with the scale as every time I stood on it, it always made me feel inadequate.  I was never good enough, I didn't like the number on it, etc, etc.

I will only step on a scale if I feel in the right head space that I will not let the number on it define me. Or if I feel that it's input is valuable information that I think will be information that I need.  

So far I have felt neither.

For me once a month would be reasonable I think.  But in the end - do not let a number on the scale define you.

• 3 weeks later...

As a counterpoint, I weigh myself most mornings.  I still have health-related reasons to improve my weight, and so I still pay attention to it.  I have about 15 pounds to go before I will hit my goal.  (I've had that 15 pounds to go for several months now, but that's another issue.)

I also find that I lose weight only when my stress levels are really low, my sleep levels are really high, I'm happy, AND I make the right food choices.  In that order.  So for me, the scale is also a measure of those other things.  High stress and not enough sleep?  I'm not going to lose weight.  Decided to shed some stress, sleep well, and then made awesome food choices?  The scale will show those victories -- as well the rest of my life.

ThyPeace, the scale says I'm stressed, sleepy, and eating sugar these days.  I'm aware.  Now to take action.  Sigh.

I'm currently 30w pregnant so not with you in the postpartum side of life quite yet. But I wanted to say that really, you don't need to weigh yourself and I don't plan to. I don't own a scale at all - haven't for my whole adult life, actually. I've always been well in the healthy BMI/weight category for my height, even now as I'm growing little Twig. I get weighed at every doctor's appointment and while it sometimes is a little surprising to see the number because I've never seen it for me on a scale before, it's not something that bothers me most of the time.

What I focus on is how things fit and how I look. If I weighed myself daily/weekly/regularly in any way I know I'd focus on the number and feel good/bad based on that instead of how I felt/what I accomplished/how I looked/how my clothes fit. People can't look at me and tell what my weight is....but they can tell if my clothes aren't fitting right. There are days where I do feel like a big fat blob...but then I remember that I'm still wearing several pairs of non-pregnancy pants (okay, so they're leggings and/or pajama pants, but STILL) so I can't be that fat.

I have had a serious scale addiction in.... ohhhhh..... forever, but in the past few months I read so many things on here, and the W30 blog, about the damaging effects of measuring yourself via the scale that I stepped off and haven't weighed myself since finishing my W30. Don't get me wrong... there is serious temptation there (I may just throw it out) but the longer I stay off of it, the more I realize it would seriously spoil all the fun I am having! Think about it. People tell me I look great, and that's always a nice surprise which boosts my happiness quotient for days. If I had weighed myself & knew for sure that I wasn't satisfied with the number, there's no way I could get as much enjoyment out of the compliment. If I was weighing myself I would totally miss the joy that comes with suddenly realizing I need a belt to hold up my jeans. If I was weighing myself, a lower number would make me think I should need a belt, but if I didn't need one quite yet I'd be disappointed (& more critical of myself). The best one yet? I walked by my full length mirror the other day & happened to catch a glimpse of myself. Wow! I'm visibly smaller, even to my jaded view! If I had been weighing myself, I would have known I should be smaller & the glimpse (& the reaction) would have been much more critical. So much more fun to bask in the NSVs than to let them be eclipsed by a random number that is not a good measure of my health anyway.

I've weighed myself once since completing my W30 ten months ago. I plan to do another W30 in January, with no intention of stepping on th scale before or after. The number is irrelevant to me. I have even asked to not be told my weight when I get weighed at the doctors office- I am happier not knowing, the scale used to have too much power over me and I refuse to open that door. I donate blood every 8 weeks, they always ask my weight, I just ball park it. I know when I eat well and feel good; I know when I don't. Maybe try to decide what your reasons are for knowing the number, like ThyPeace has done.

Archived