Beating a dead horse

Ok y'all as the topic states I am aware that a similar question has probably been posted on more than one occasion. I am also aware that doctor's orders trump the Whole30 rules. That being said.... my doctor recommended these prenatal/pregnancy vitamins (trying to conceive) that come in a packet with the prenatals, calcium/magnesium, choline, and fish oil. She is the one who got me started on the Whole30 and is very familiar with the requirements of the program as she has done it herself several times. I asked her if they are complaint and she said they were.

Well I purchased the (expensive) box and went home. The supplements look compliant EXCEPT the choline has soybean oil and sorbitol in it. Just looking for some expert advice. Should I take them? Just take the other supplements and leave that one out?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

No one here can tell you to ignore your doctor's recommendation, but I can tell you that anything with soybean oil in it is not okay during a Whole30. 

It is not a Whole30 if you just reduce the volume of off-plan foods that you consume. It is a Whole30 when you eliminate off-plan foods. Lots of people reason that this or that is such a small amount that it doesn't matter. However, that is not how the program is designed. We ask people to be 100 percent compliant for 30 days. 

• Moderators

Well I purchased the (expensive) box and went home. The supplements look compliant EXCEPT the choline has soybean oil and sorbitol in it. Just looking for some expert advice. Should I take them? Just take the other supplements and leave that one out?

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be a quick call/visit with the doctor to let her know that you're really committed to the Whole30 and does she think it would be a-okay to just stay off the choline for 30 days.  If not, is there a compliant one you can find? (altho you likely don't want to spend a lot more money).  

It's just... soy is terrible on every level... it's in everything and it's not good for you so it's something that people should really try and stay away from.  Why o why would we need soy oil and a sweetener in a capsule we're supposed to swallow, not chew... it boggles my mind!

Archived