Day 5 - Dry mouth and crazy thirsty?

Hello, I am on day 5 and last night I started having this very dry mouth feeling in my mouth/throat, which is making me much more thirsty than normal. All I want to do is keep drinking water! Not sure what is causing this...could it be from the sugar widthdrawal?

Because of all the water intake, I didn't get a good nights sleep since I was up several times to pee throughout.

I have been adding salt to my recipes, but I can't imaging it being worse than the processed food and junk I was eating pre-whole30.

Any ideas or experience with this?

• Administrators

Hi nomad,

Dry mouth can be a symptom of having gone too low carb.  Make sure you are including at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie every day, more if you are very active, feeling anxiety/depression, low energy or are getting poor sleep.  If you like you are free to post some examples of your meals in a day (include portions) and fluids, stress, exercise and anything else that might be relevant.  We can take a look and see if anything stands out.

Just been trying to follow the guidelines. I do have an anxiety disorder as well as sleep apnea, but they are both relatively under control with medications and a CPAP machine, although the last few days since starting I've seen a resurgence of mini panick attacks. I expected this going into the whole30 because of the the sugar/carbs withdrawal and also the pressure of sticking to the plan.

Water (throughout the day...but can't say exactly how much). At least 2L

Meal 1

1 Egg, Turkey sausage & kale "muffin"

Orange

Meal 2

Carrot Sweet Potato Soup

Some seasoned ground beef (taco seasoning - homemade)

Snack:

Apple w/Sunflower Seed Butter

Meal 3:

Roasted Aparagus (olive oil)

Some Leftover baked Chicken breast

Coconut flakes + some pecans

Blueberries

Exercise: 25 minute moderate walk outside at lunch.

• Administrators

Just been trying to follow the guidelines. I do have an anxiety disorder as well as sleep apnea, but they are both relatively under control with medications and a CPAP machine, although the last few days since starting I've seen a resurgence of mini panick attacks. I expected this going into the whole30 because of the the sugar/carbs withdrawal and also the pressure of sticking to the plan.

Water (throughout the day...but can't say exactly how much). At least 2L

Meal 1

Orange

Meal 2

Carrot Sweet Potato Soup

Some seasoned ground beef (taco seasoning - homemade)

Snack:

Apple w/Sunflower Seed Butter

Meal 3:

Roasted Aparagus (olive oil)

Some Leftover baked Chicken breast

Coconut flakes + some pecans

Blueberries

Exercise: 25 minute moderate walk outside at lunch.

Hi Nomad,  the resurgence of some anxiety doesn't surprise me, you are not eating nearly enough food.  This is not a diet, it's a plan that wants you to eat real food in quantities appropriate to your context.  Have you seen our meal template? It's linked below, but the crux is:

1-2 palms protein (when it's eggs, that's as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping...since you are a man, I'm guessing 4-5 to start)

1-3 cups veggies (1 is good, 3+ is optimal)

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or handfuls olives)

we recommend at least one serving of starchy veggie and since you have a history of dealing with anxiety and are having symptoms as well as a main symptom of going too low carb, my recommendation for you personally, is to have at least two fist sized servings per day until you start to feel better.

Remember that the meal template is a range and at the moment you are at the low end of that range, if not right off the template. The fact that you are snacking is a good clue that you either have many more than 4-5 hours between meals or that you are not eating enough at your meals.  

I'm concerned about you, please eat more food....around 1.5 to double what you are eating now (and make each meal follow the template with protein, fat and veggies) and see if you don't start to feel better.  

Thanks for your help ladyshanny, I am still trying to get the hang of this, but will make an effort to go according to the template.

One of my big issues is not being very hungry in the morning...I have always been that way, but I know it affects me later in the day.

I'm coming from a diet where I basically grazed all day back and forth with lots of sugary food, bread and meat, with very little fruits/veg/nuts.

I'm also struggling a bit with keeping up with the pace of having all my meals cooked by myself and the time to prepare, as well as experimenting with what I'll actualy eat and enjoy.

This weekend I am planning a big cooking day as recommended and will start to ramp up the portions to the template.

Thanks,

• Administrators

Hi nomad,

Glad to hear that you are working on making this experience the best it can be!  One thing to note is that the more you eat within an hour of waking, the more you will feel like eating wtihin an hour of waking. It's a sign of unbalanced hormones that you are not hungry in the morning so getting those into proper will help you out immensely!

Hi Nomad,

Are you able to set up a period of time either during the weekend or during the week - where you are able to take a couple of hours and "batch cook?"

What I mean by this is that usually Sunday Afternoon for me is when I set aside time to cook a tray of chicken thighs, brown a lb or so of seasoned ground meat, cook a spaghetti squash, cube and cook some sweet potatoes, and maybe make a pot of butter chicken, meat loaf, or chili.

Yes, that's the plan. Last Sunday was my day one, in retrospect I should have started a day later, but it still worked out. I big component that I underestimated, and probably a newbie mistake, is finding the recipes I want to try, planning out the week, and getting my shopping list organized. It's been a major stress for me in these first few days to scramble around and figure out what is going to be on my plate in the next meal (anxiety provoking for anyone I think).

If anything, the whole30 is going to get my planning/cooking skills up to speed quickly!

Is there a recommended meal prep/planning "for dummies" style resource out there?

• Administrators

Absolutely!  Mel Joulwan is an amazing resource for weekly cookup/prep and her books Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are a life saver.  Here are a couple links to get you started.

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

Archived