Substitution for canned sweet potatoes

DivaJoAnna

I cannot find canned Unsweetened sweet potatoes anywhere!  I'm making the dish tomorrow so I cannot order online. I have fresh sweet potatoes on hand.  How many fresh sweet potatoes should I use for the no-fuss salmon cake recipe in the book?

It's not really a no fuss recipe if you can't find an ingredient at a local store in a major city! <_<

Estimate a ball park amount given the size of the sweet potatoes you have and the amount identified in the recipe.

There have been at least a couple past discussions in the forum about possible substitutions, which you might find helpful.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2822-canned-sweet-potatoes-without-sugar/
http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23386-help-no-fuss-salmon-cakes-recipe-from-the-book/

• Administrators

I cannot find canned Unsweetened sweet potatoes anywhere!  I'm making the dish tomorrow so I cannot order online. I have fresh sweet potatoes on hand.  How many fresh sweet potatoes should I use for the no-fuss salmon cake recipe in the book?

It's not really a no fuss recipe if you can't find an ingredient at a local store in a major city! <_<

I never use canned.  I usually just bake a "mid sized" one and throw the whole thing in.  Unless you use a ridiculously giant one, it should be totally fine!  You can also use canned pumpkin (not pie filling) for an equally delightful result.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, BKA said:

How many cups of cooked sweet potato should I use if I substitute fresh for canned? I have half a ridiculously giant one and several ridiculously tiny ones on hand :-P 

1:1 substitution.  I would just roast as many as you think you'll eat, use what you need for the recipe and then use the leftovers in a hash or mashed etc..

I would like to see pictures of what compliant canned sweet potato looks like.  I haven't turned over every rock possible, but I've looked on and off again for a while and haven't run in to it "in the wild".

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

1:1 substitution.  I would just roast as many as you think you'll eat, use what you need for the recipe and then use the leftovers in a hash or mashed etc..

I have never seen the canned version. What size of can? 

On 11/5/2015 at 5:12 PM, DivaJoAnna said:

That's one of my favorite Whole30 recipes of all time, and I had the same problem trying to find canned sweet potatoes then. I always double the recipe, so I take two smallish sweet potatoes, poke them all over with a fork, and microwave then for 9 minutes. Let them cool, then cut in half and scoop the insides into your measuring cup. Easy peasy!

16 hours ago, kirkor said:

I would like to see pictures of what compliant canned sweet potato looks like.  I haven't turned over every rock possible, but I've looked on and off again for a while and haven't run in to it "in the wild".

I live in the fourth largest city in the country and have never seen them here. I'm not convinced they exist. At least not in my region! I'd also like to see a picture.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

That's one of my favorite Whole30 recipes of all time, and I had the same problem trying to find canned sweet potatoes then. I always double the recipe, so I take two smallish sweet potatoes, poke them all over with a fork, and microwave then for 9 minutes. Let them cool, then cut in half and scoop the insides into your measuring cup. Easy peasy!

I live in the fourth largest city in the country and have never seen them here. I'm not convinced they exist. At least not in my region! I'd also like to see a picture.

You can also use canned pumpkin (not pie filling) for the same result. If you can't find the unicorn canned sweet potatoes and you don't want to cook your own. ;) 

The "Farmer's Market" brand of Organic Sweet Potato Puree is just sweet potatoes every time I've seen it (check your labels).  I've found it at Sprouts Market and at Harmon's (local UT chain).  Usually on the bottom shelf of the canned vegetable section, sometimes near the canned pumpkin stuff for pies, or randomly at side aisles of Sprouts.  The brand also has pumpkin and butternut squash puree.  They have it on thrive market if you're OK with online ordering. 

On 2015-11-05 at 3:22 PM, GFChris said:

Estimate a ball park amount given the size of the sweet potatoes you have and the amount identified in the recipe.

The amount quoted in the recipe is "one can." There is no mention of the size of a can and having never heard of canned sweet potatoes, I have no idea what size they come in. Anyway, I am going to make the recipe now and will just wing it and imagine what I think the texture should be. 

3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

So, I am guessing that when you double the recipe, you use roughly one cup? So a half a cup for a single recipe? Anyway, I will be doubling the recipe so will go with two smallish ones because I have those on hand. 

This thread is quite funny. If I didn't cook, I would be really stressed out about the fact that nobody has really committed to a cup size :D But I cook and and can wing it. 

8 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry? Usually in a recipe it tells you how many cups you need... so you would just roast as much as you think looks like xx cups?

OMG I feel like a total moron. I was just about to take a photo of the recipe to say, see? It doesn't mention a cup anywhere. And then I see it!!! Am I going through the brain fog stage or something? :lol: 

Sorry to put you all through this. You must think I'm crazy! I am wondering myself... 

Archived