Starting again- looking for a buddy- any takers?

Lessser

I have started this several times and only manage a few days.  Is anyone else having trouble staying strong?  I realize it's not rocket science and would love to start again with someone so we could encourage each other with support and ideas.  My downfall is that small glass of wine that turns into a poor choice at the end of the evening.   I'm good all day then fail at night after work.  

I have even started back at working out in the am, I'm making progress in most areas but not at night.  I think its a lack of sleep, all I want to do is curl up with a book, or a movie and a glass of wine.  

Any takers> ?????

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Lesser, lets do this. Did the plan in July with my wife and we both lost over 20 pounds each, and feel pretty good. Am starting again today (well tomorrow - day 0 today) to go after another 20.

Had a scramble this morning with onions and kale. Will probably hit the salad with some left over walnut pork loin we have. Even though we haven't been doing the 30, we are still using the recipes and keeping the weight off. We seem to eat well, and not very smart sometimes, but our portions are smaller also. We have changed our eating habits dramatically (sugars, milk, cheese, tortillas, rice, creamers, bread are used very little anymore since July). We feel great!!

Looking forward to the next 30.

That's great that you are both doing it together, my husband doesn't need to lose anything and he loves cheese so I have to make 2 different meals every night.  I'm starting again tomorrow, even with football all weekend (usually have wings and beer) I find it easier to do this at home then at work.  I have to change my coming home pattern- instead of relaxing with a glass of wine, will do a cup of tea and a salad.  I made a great roast with carrots last night- added rice to my husbands and was fine.  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Me!!!

Lessser - my coming home pattern does me in too.  I work 12hr shifts so when I get home at 8ish (after leaving the house at 6:30 AM) I want to eat all.the.food.  I can't really take 2 lunch breaks at work and I'm not supposed to eat outside the break room (some units are stricter than others - I could have an apple or something but a "meal" isn't allowed) so I'm starving when I get home.  

Have you seen recipes for W30 wings?  There are a bunch out there.  Like this one.

Thanks for the wings recipe, I'll try it on Sunday.  Maybe you could bring some Whole30 approved bars with you.  I have a hour commute from work so sometimes I eat a bar before I leave and then when I get home its not so frenzied to make dinner and eat.  I found some Paleo approved, all natural, bars called Cave Man.    I don't eat them often, but it does the trick.

I found some Paleo approved, all natural, bars called Cave Man.    I don't eat them often, but it does the trick.

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but if these are the Caveman bars you're having, they are not Whole30 compliant. I've bolded the ingredients below that are off-limits on a Whole30. (Paleo does not necessarily mean Whole30: you need to check every product's ingredient label.)

Sunflower seeds, almonds, brown rice syrup, currants, evaporated cane syrup, dried apples, cashews, sesame seeds, blueberry pieces (blueberry, sugar), natural flavor, sea salt.

Day 1 done.

6 AM M1: burger, creamed spinach (Aroy-D coconut milk)

11 AM: half-arsed pre-workout - coffee with 2 tbsp coconut milk, frothed - got hungry around 11, so 5 hours was a good run on M1

12 PM - crossfit

2 PM - post WO - apple (I know, no cooked starch around), few bites of the cross shank that had been cooking

2:30  M2: serving bowl salad, left over cross shank, home fries, cranberry/strawberry sauce as "dressing", mashed cauliflower with ghee

6:30 M3 (hungry): salmon, oven roasted fennel and onions, 1/4 kobucha squash with ghee

22215246753_d825b8db4b_n.jpg

22213651504_903fd847ed_n.jpg

22822839752_5f0ea3695c_n.jpg

Yeah... bars are pretty much out.  I can't eat nuts or eggs so the easy "portable" W30 snacks are out too.  I'm working on my own demons with a diet that is 90% fruit so I'm trying *really* hard to not just eat a couple of apples during the day as a snack.  So... I'm kinda stuck.  What did a few days at work last week was to eat a protein serving with some fat before I leave for work.  I don't want M1 at 5:30 in the morning because (a) I have IBS and really just don't feel well in the morning until things are ... taken care of ( B) I'm rushed and  © I want to sit and enjoy a meal, not shovel it in.  So, I have my protein and some fat on my way out the door.  This gets me to 9 or 10 until I get hungry and eat M1. Then I eat M2 at 2 or 3.  Where it fell apart last week was I would just come home and eat fruit (if I hadn't already eaten my body weight in junk food).  These 12 hour shifts are not easy to navigate.  Not to mention my lunch bag weights about 10 lbs since I only use glass containers and have to bring 2 or 3 meals worth of food  :)

Morning started, Day 1- feeling grumpy and less then enthusiastic. Breakfest is scrambled egg with red oinions and green tea. I'm not even hungry. Love the pictures Littleg! CJW1 Good luck and thanks for joining. I'm hoping to have some better engergy to start working out.

I'm making a big life change in 2 months and I'm going to need the energy to get through everything. I used to start my morning with fruit, so I'm missing the sugar, but the egg helped. Actually I'm not even hungry. Good luck everyone

Morning started, Day 1- feeling grumpy and less then enthusiastic. Breakfest is scrambled egg with red oinions and green tea. I'm not even hungry. Love the pictures Littleg! CJW1 Good luck and thanks for joining. I'm hoping to have some better engergy to start working out.

I'm making a big life change in 2 months and I'm going to need the energy to get through everything. I used to start my morning with fruit, so I'm missing the sugar, but the egg helped. Actually I'm not even hungry. Good luck everyone

Hi Lessser and welcome to Whole30.

When you say 'egg' I hope you meant 'eggs', plural?

When eggs are the only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females.

If you feel unable to eat more at this stage we would advise that you plate a full template meal, and then eat around the plate, ensuring you get a little of each food group, then wrap up the remainder of the meal to eat as soon as you feel able.

Eating within an hour of wakening is key to getting your hormones back into whack, and the fact that you are not hungry now is indicative that this is something you might want to focus on. As your hormones settle your appetite will increase & you'll soon be surprised how much food you can put away first thing in the morning!

Good luck with day 2 and beyond!

22222941884_6ab11fa108_n.jpg

M1: 6AM - ate some of the salmon with a blob of homemade (runny, ugh) mayo.  10ish.  Ate the rest of the salmon with creamed spinach and zucchini soup and a grapefruit.  

M2: 2:30 PM - cross shank, home fries, mashed cauli, salad with a sliced pepper and some oil and vinegar

M3: STARVING (lots of self talk to not just buy myself an apple) 8 PM - many bowls of broccoli with orange-ginger-garlic sauce, kobucha with coconut milk.  Munched on carrots.  Maybe a few too many...

22237174564_00a82d4866_n.jpg

Day 2 in the books.  First successful day at work in a long time.

Littleg love your pictures! I ate very little but at least I was compliant. Day 1 completed!

M1- egg with onions

M2- one bite of lamb and ice tea

M3- hamburger patty on lettuce, side of cauliflower club soda

And that was it. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow cause I had no energy.

Have a good night all

So my husband, who made me the sauce for the broccoli (it was supposed to be for tomorrow's lunch) was made with 2 cups of orange juice :(  When I make it I use 1/2 cup so I figured eating the whole thing was fine.  Totally bummed.  Grumble.

I am starting tomorrow again. I have completed one round back at the beginning of the year but have not been committed to the numerous rounds I have started since then. I am 36 years old mother of 3 that is 50 pounds overweight. My first whole 30 cured me of chronic fatigue and I lost 18 pounds. But since then I have gone through the most stressful time of my life and gained 30 pounds. I have to take back control because I am tired of feeling the way I do about myself. I have to commit to this as I deserve better. I deserve to have optimal health. I decided to need to be accountable for this whole 30 and plan on sharing and being a active participate in this forum. All the best to everyone and yes to this round of whole 30!

Lessser - why did you eat so little yesterday?  Is it W30 related or were you just under the weather?  I hope you start eating more - it will make these 30 days much better ;)

Welcome Destiny!

I wasn't hungry Littleg, I forced myself to eat what I did, hoping today will be better. Destiny, welcome! This is my first w30 because I have started it 3 times never getting past the first week. My downfall is wine. Day 2 so far so good. Sunday's are my football day and usually drink during the game while noshing on appetizers. I'm baking chicken wings and having tea instead. Last night was hard because we got home late (went to the Hallstrom planetarium) and I threw in some frozen pizza for the kids because my food wasn't defrosted yet. I need to be a better planner.

Destiny do you work or a stay at home Mom?

I'm in my 50's about 30 pounds overweight but on a 5'2" frame that is a lot. 2 Years ago I got really sick (heart) and getting back to good health has been slow. Happy Sunday!

22222941884_6ab11fa108_n.jpg

M1: 6AM - ate some of the salmon with a blob of homemade (runny, ugh) mayo.  10ish.  Ate the rest of the salmon with creamed spinach and zucchini soup and a grapefruit.  

M2: 2:30 PM - cross shank, home fries, mashed cauli, salad with a sliced pepper and some oil and vinegar

M3: STARVING (lots of self talk to not just buy myself an apple) 8 PM - many bowls of broccoli with orange-ginger-garlic sauce, kobucha with coconut milk.  Munched on carrots.  Maybe a few too many...

22237174564_00a82d4866_n.jpg

Day 2 in the books.  First successful day at work in a long time.

Loving the photos, littleg (I've got mine on instagram if anyone's interested - search for "thegoldengrahamgirl" and you'll see what a big Quest bar addition I have to give up, haha).

I paused at your kobucha with coconut milk because it looks almost exactly like my butternut squash with coconut milk.  While i was scarfing it down, I was thinking, "Geez, I'm such a weirdo for pouring coconut milk ALL over this thing - guess I'm not the only 'weird' one!"  ;)

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Argh, just typed out a response replying to everyone and that went back to page one and my text got deleted... grumble.

Short version: hi everyone!  hope everyone is still out there :)  

Day 3 (work day)

22271499064_5123f2f651_n.jpg

Archived