Getting fats into kids

andrealoureed

Day 28 here.  My 4 year old eats a lot of fruit.  I'm ok with this as he eats some veggies and loves sliced turkey and hard boiled eggs.  But I suddenly thought that he's not getting a lot of good fats.  He won't eat avocado, although I offer it often.  How can I sneak good fats into his diet.  I think he's just burning fruit sugar.  I can get coconut milk into his scrambled eggs, but not sure that's enough.  Thanks!

Neither of my kids (6 & 2) do whole 30 but they both love homemade mayo, olives, olive oil based dressings, and yes avocado. Only sliced, not as guacamole. The eldest one will also eat nuts - she likes cashews. Also coconut flakes. I'm sure if I bought a fresh coconut they'd eat that. Could also try nut butters on apple slices, celery sticks etc. I also make a lot of curries and sauces with coconut milk which they both enjoy.

• 2 months later...

I'm breastfeeding and make a coconut milk smoothie with a can of coconut milk, banana, small can crushed pineapple, frozen fruit, and ground flax seed. We have it as a smoothie or I pour in Popsicle molds. We all love it!!! My kids love nuts too! (My girls are 8, 6, 4, and 5 months)

• Administrators

Hi Adakate, even though you are breastfeeding, making Popsicles would not be Whole30 compliant. The only recommendation that is really waived for pregnant or nursing is the number of meals and meal timing. SWYPO such as these smoothie Popsicles would still be against the rules for anyone doing a Whole30. Great for your kids though!

Archived