Banana and Eggs?

Erica Gucc

maybe its a no cause its sweet?  I know egg foo young is acceptable..    

This is why pancakes are out on a Whole30, directly from the Can I Have Guide:

'Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…

Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored.

Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Hhrq2rlP.dpuf

Minus the blender, this becomes a banana omelet, but I'm at a loss for veggies to add into that omelet that don't make the banana taste like marshmallow fluff.  I look at eggs as a vegetable delivery system.  Once veggies are banished and all you have left is a confection, there's a lot of plate to fill from the plant department.

Puree some sweet potato and add that in maybe?

If you mean adding sweet potatoes to the egg/banana mixture - no - that's just a sweet potato pancake. Given that we don't allow sweet potato waffles, that wouldn't work either, sorry.

The bottom line is, pancakes are out, period, on a Whole30 for all the reasons outlined above in my post with the excerpt from the Can I Have guide. It's only for 30 days - you can do it!

Stop thinking in terms of breakfast, and start thinking in terms of meals one, two & three.

Anything you'd eat for meal three will also work for meal one.

Nobody said you MUST have eggs - today for instance I had roast chicken with kale slow braised in ghee with cashews & cranberries. Not an egg in sight.

Stop thinking in terms of breakfast, and start thinking in terms of meals one, two & three.

Anything you'd eat for meal three will also work for meal one.

Nobody said you MUST have eggs - today for instance I had roast chicken with kale slow braised in ghee with cashews & cranberries. Not an egg in sight.

Its not that, its just i need to batch-cook whatever I eat for breakfast, and theres not a lot of recipes that have all the required portions of every group and can be cooked up in one go and grabbed on the fly.

EDIT: Like, I was thinking of making meat cakes, then something with egg to go on the side. I have no problem eating eggs, infact they are a cheap buy, and thats what i have planned. I wanted to do something different is all.

Its not that, its just i need to batch-cook whatever I eat for breakfast, and theres not a lot of recipes that have all the required portions of every group and can be cooked up in one go and grabbed on the fly.

EDIT: Like, I was thinking of making meat cakes, then something with egg to go on the side. I have no problem eating eggs, infact they are a cheap buy, and thats what i have planned. I wanted to do something different is all.

All of that was batch cooked. I usually prep three separate proteins, two cooked veg sides, and have supplies of tinned fish, salad veg & fats - then for every meal I choose a protein, choose a side & add a fat.

I don't have time to cook meals up individually either, and this is what has worked best for me over time rather than trying to cook individual recipes.

All of that was batch cooked. I usually prep three separate proteins, two cooked veg sides, and have supplies of tinned fish, salad veg & fats - then for every meal I choose a protein, choose a side & add a fat.

I don't have time to cook meals up individually either, and this is what has worked best for me over time rather than trying to cook individual recipes.

i have not found a way to cook veggies which is appetizing as a leftover. Tried roasting asparagus and it tasted funky. I tried balsamic roasted veggies and they were unappetizing the next day.

Blended soup for breakfast?  Lettuce wraps?  Bake your frittata into little mini cups using a muffin tin (no, they're NOT muffins) - just eating an old recipe in a new shape can make it more fun.

Good luck!  At some point I'm sure I'm going to hit a burger restaurant for breakfast and just have the patty, the lettuce and tomato for meal 1.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

My spouse and I made "hash cakes" out of grated sweet potato, egg, green onion, and a bit of coconut flake as a binder. They reheated very well (we stored them in a stack, separated by parchment paper) and they have a different texture, but they're more like hash brown patties than "pancakes". It was something like this recipe - http://gabbysgfree.com/2013/03/paleo-shredded-sweet-potato-cakes/- but we just winged it. These might work for changing up your routine, but I think they're different enough from sweet breakfast food that they wouldn't be SWYPO. In fact, we ate most of our batch with dinners, usually topped with pulled pork.

I remember my mom telling me about these "2-ingredient" pancakes awhile back and how they were just the greatest thing.  It went in one ear and out the other, for the most part, because we don't really do carbs for breakfast.

This post reminded me, and I decided to make them for something new for the kids to try this morning.  I added a little cinnamon, a little vanilla.  Definitely a pancake.  Definitely SWYPO.  They are wolfing them down like candy -- which, as we all know, is NOT the idea.  :)

• Moderators

i just cant wait for day 31 i will be eating all the SWYPO foods i can get my hands on

If you are coming from a place of poor health (judging by your previous posts on high level pain etc), you may want to reconsider this.  You also mention you're planning on doing some other eating plan that is even more restrictive than Whole30 after Whole 30... it doesn't make sense to me to do a Whole30, go off the deep end with SWYPO foods and then switch to the other diet... maybe you should consider choosing an eating plan that can provide your body with some longer term consistency so it can actually figure out what's going on and start to heal. Whether thats Whole30 or something else... when you're trying to heal, bouncing from one thing to the next to the next isn't going to give you the best chance.

If you are coming from a place of poor health (judging by your previous posts on high level pain etc), you may want to reconsider this.  You also mention you're planning on doing some other eating plan that is even more restrictive than Whole30 after Whole 30... it doesn't make sense to me to do a Whole30, go off the deep end with SWYPO foods and then switch to the other diet... maybe you should consider a way of eating that can provide your body with some longer term consistency so it can actually figure out what's going on and start to heal.

I joined a SCD group and all i see all day are muffins, cakes, and other desserts!! The issue isnt with the format the food comes in but the ingredients. If its a muffin, its ok. Whole30 has this stance on eating foods that remind you of baked goods, that you wont want to eat it with healthy ingredients, that it wont compare to the "unhealthy" version, and youll end up wanting to take your pants off. its completely different for SCD, because you CANT take your pants off. So you have to let your tastebuds adjust and learn how to love these foods in their "healthier" format.

Because if eating bananas and eggs are good for you, there is nothing wrong with mixing them into a pancake, and your not hurting your body that way. Psychologically is a different story, but enjoying the food I eat doesnt have an affect on how that food is absorbed. 

• Moderators

I joined a SCD group and all i see all day are muffins, cakes, and other desserts!! The issue isnt with the format the food comes in but the ingredients. If its a muffin, its ok. Whole30 has this stance on eating foods that remind you of baked goods, that you wont want to eat it with healthy ingredients, that it wont compare to the "unhealthy" version, and youll end up wanting to take your pants off. its completely different for SCD, because you CANT take your pants off. So you have to let your tastebuds adjust and learn how to love these foods in their "healthier" format.

Because if eating bananas and eggs are good for you, there is nothing wrong with mixing them into a pancake, and your not hurting your body that way. Psychologically is a different story, but enjoying the food I eat doesnt have an affect on how that food is absorbed. 

I don't agree, sorry.

Muffins, cakes and other desserts are not nutritionally sound no matter how you cut it.  If you fill your body up with those things, you're filling it up with sugar alternatives, nuts and other gluten free grains etc... and that is not going to help your body. But you are an individual and if you feel that eating loads SWYPO food is going to serve you well, then power on sister.

Archived