Starting 11/9/15

Sara Ann

Hello all! I will be starting the Whole30 on Monday 11/9. A little background on me... about 18 months ago I joined a local gym that includes strength training and has a nutritional component to it as well. Since then I have been eating clean, and lost apprx 50 pounds. The owner of my gym has also trains individuals for bikini competitions. This past May I decided to do my first competition, something I never thought I would do. Well since then I have struggled to remain on track with my food, and have been trying to figure out what maintenance is. I have the tools, and I know what to eat and not eat, so why is it so hard? I knew I would gain weight back after the competition, and I am ok where I am right now for the most part. But, I feel like I am losing control of my food choices right now. One of my coaches recommended that I complete the Whole30, so here I am! I have been reading the book, and look forward to begin this program. 

Hi Sara Ann,

I am starting on Monday also. I just got the book and am excited to begin - hopefully I can maintain that excitement for 30 days.

My main goal is to realize that food is just food and not to use to to reward myself, or make myself feel better, or eat when I am stressed. I enjoy real food but that isn't what I reach for first. So hopefully I will "reset" my body and taste buds and will continue to make good choices long after my 30 days is over. 

I will be cheering you on!

Hi ladies! I'm also starting tomorrow. I'm both excited and nervous...haha. I'm also hoping this will help make me look at food simply as nourishment for my body instead of using it as a reward, comfort, or excuse for social occasions. My husband and I are also battling unexplained infertility and i'm hoping this will help heal some hidden problems in my body and improve our chances of getting pregnant.

Now off to make a grocery list and shop. Today is prep day!

Hi Sara Ann,

I can relate to your story in some ways.  I recently spent 10 months doing IIFYM with a "cut" phase and then going back up to "maintenance" but I feel as though maybe I *don't* really know the best foods to eat (I was constantly craving fat during and after my program - the Whole30 eating protocol fixes that with its emphasis on healthy fats).  Also, even though I didn't compete and only lost about 7 lbs (congrats to you!), I feel as though the experience damaged my metabolism and had me consuming a LOT of artificial sweeteners, which would have really confused my body's satiety symbols.  I was also at times eating when I wasn't hungry and also NOT eating when I was hungry. Plus, I personally can't spend the rest of my life constantly weighing and measuring my foods.  So, lots of reasons to give Whole30 a go - I'm in the "prep" mode now, rididng my kitchen of non-compliant items and waiting until after some international travel to begin my "official" Whole30.  But I am trying to eat compliant, template meals on a daily basis.  Even though I know it's not perfect because it's not 100% compliant, I figure it certainly can't hurt me to try!

Hello zoeygirl,

Good luck to you - I too, am hoping for a re-set!

Hello mkat,

Good luck to you!  I really think that there can be benefits to hormonal balance and fertility related to Whole30 (of course the official program position does not make any health claims and "your mileage will vary").  I personally had some issues and did a similar elimination diet with re-introduction protocol (not Whole30, though), as well as acupuncture and was able to conceive my son naturally.

Hello Blfitzwa,

Good luck to you and your husband!  I'm hoping I can get my husband on board to do the official program with me in early 2016.  For now, he's getting compliant suppers without even knowing it!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

I'm starting tomorrow as well! I'm excited!

But anyone want to bet how long before the excitement wears off? :-)

I'm doing this to help with my GERD/lose weight/eat more mindfully/identify food that nourishes me vs food that makes me feel less than optimal.

So, any benefits in any of these areas will make it a success.

I'm keeping my foods pretty simple and basic.

Best wishes to everyone.

Hello zoeygirl! I was wondering if any November 9-ers were around! How are you doing?

Thing have gone smoothly, as I learn to schedule meals on my long teaching-meetings-workout days (Monday and Wednesday). And today I didn't have the 3-5 pm bout of heartburn that's plagued me the last two months!

I'm enjoying broiled meat and fish and roasted vegetables or steamed ones topped with clarified butter. My craving is for mustard, so I'm going back to Trader Joes for their grass fed burgers.

I'm still not cooking "recipes"--just cooking proteins and veggies and eggs and parceling them out. This is my choice, to minimize my kitchen time.

I have had a lot of energy and a surprising amount of calm. :-) How about you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Day 25-ers, wherever you are!

Five more days! And then, Reintroduction!

The time has flown by!

I've been thinking a lot about how I want to do my reintroduction and will be posting my plan in that forum.

Meanwhile, my NSVs continue to accumulate, including my Pilates instructor remarking on how my body has been re-shaping. We work one on one and she knows my body. :-)

Anyone else reintroducing after your Whole 30? Or are you extending your 30 to a 45 or 60?

For me, working out what and how I eat after Whole30 will be the real challenge and I'm looking forward to conducting my "experiment of one" and logging what I discover.

Well, as a November 9th group of (now) one, it is after dinner on Day 30 and so my Whole30 is in the bank. :-)

Tomorrow is my last day of classes (teaching) and I will celebrate that and my Whole30 by writing up my success story and my plan for reintroductions.

To all November Whole30 folks, I hope you are well.

Archived