Coconut aminos vs coconut vinegar

nomad2224

I went to my local health food store looking to find coconut aminos for my recipe (sunshine sauce), but got confused because all the bottles that had "aminos" on them started with coconut nectar in the ingredients. I did find one product that said only "100% pure coconut sap" but it was called coconut "vinegar". Which one to buy? I thought coconut nectar was not permitted?

I've only used coconut aminos in the sunshine sauce.

Given the descriptions on the Coconut Secret website, it looks like you could use coconut vinegar in place of something like apple cider vinegar, where coconut aminos is more to be used instead of soy sauce.

Unless someone else replies to this thread with more info, if a recipe calls for coconut aminos, that's what I'd use.

Ok so since the rest of the bottles had coconut nectar, I went with the coconut vinegar, bibtopened it up at home and found it really smelled like vinegar. I'm sure that's not how the aminos smell...I guess I'll skip it or see if another local store has it tomorrow but if not I'll order online.

coconut aminos is permitted on the whole30, since the coconut nectar used is fermented, consuming the sugars. Pure, unfermented coconut nectar (sold as a sweetener) is not allowed.

I would use coconut vinegar for salad dressing or other places I would use other types of vinegar.

Coconut aminos is a fair sub for soy sauce, although it is not as salty. I find it works best with some sea salt added.

coconut aminos is permitted on the whole30, since the coconut nectar used is fermented, consuming the sugars. Pure, unfermented coconut nectar (sold as a sweetener) is not allowed.

So having coconut nectar listed in the ingredients is ok? All of the coconut aminos here in the health food store in my area (i'm in canada), have that listed alongside fermented coconut sap as well.

So having coconut nectar listed in the ingredients is ok? All of the coconut aminos here in the health food store in my area (i'm in canada), have that listed alongside fermented coconut sap as well.

I actually don't know, sorry. There is some confusion over what is meant by these terms and how the manufacturers use them. We determined the coconut secret brand coconut aminos were ok. I'm not sure about any others.

Archived