Day 18 Constipated, Nauseous and Full Quickly; get "low blood sugar" shakes

emtg

I looked on the forum for this topic, but couldn't find exactly the question I was looking for: 

I'm on Day 18:

• For the past week I've been mildly constipated - meaning that I've put a LOT more in my body than has come out.
  • I've also found for the past week that I get very full/nauseous about halfway through my meals.
  • Additionally, there have been a few days now where I get shaky about 2 or 3 hours after I've eaten - almost like i have low blood sugar from the old days (something I haven't really had since doing my first Whole30 a year ago). 

Breakfast today - 8:45am: 

• 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, 2/3 C brussels sprouts (chopped), 2/3 cup cabbage (chopped), 1/2 onion

Crossfit 10-11:15am

Post-workout snack - 11:45am:

• sardines in olive oil

Lunch today - 1:30pm: 

• 4 eggs cooked in coconut oil, 2 tbsp paleo mayo + vinegar (dressing), 1 C (packed) spinach, 1 C cabbage, 1 full-size carrot, 1/2 tomato, 1 C cucumber
  • I also made 1/2 small kabocha squash to make sure I got my starchy carbs for the day, but was only able to eat 1/3 of it. 

OTHER INFORMATION

I do crossfit 4-5 times/week and run usually once/week (I'm definitely getting stronger at this point in my Whole30, which is awesome). Sometimes the prospect of eating right after my workout is really unpleasant, so on those occasions I wait until I get home (20 min or so later). 

I'm also burping. A lot. Not sure if this is relevant.

I make sure to add fat to each meal in addition to cooking oil: 1-2 TBSP paleo mayo, 1/2 avocado, heaping handful of olives, 1-2 TBSP coconut oil melted on top of my food, etc.

I do eat at least a fistful-size of starchy carbs every day (sweet potato, squash - I took a few days off from squash because of the constipation - I had been eating it in wedges with the skin on). 

I do need to drink more water - I'm averaging about 70oz/day (is this a bigger deal than I think it is?). I find that drinking water is sometimes like eating after working out; I feel overly full and don't want to put any more liquid in my body.

Any thoughts? There's probably some glaring error that's right in front of me...could someone else point it out? Bring on the tough love.

Thank you!

-EMTG

The brussel sprouts, cabbage and raw veggies might be causing your digestive issues. I'd switch to all cooked veggies, and drop the brussel sprouts, cabbage and any cruciferous veggies for starters.

On post workout, the recommendation is protein and optional carb, no fat. As such, the sardines in olive oil isn't the best choice.

What other proteins are you having at your meals?  What are your portion sizes like?

Other protein looks like: 4-6 oz grass-fed beef (80/20%), 4-6 oz chicken breast, 4-6 oz ground turkey, a can of sardines (in olive oil), a can of tuna. 

Typically, I'll fry two extra eggs to take with me for my post-workout snack, which means I use oil. Should I switch to hardboiled, or is some cooking oil okay?

For digestion issues: is it possible that I'm eating TOO much squash? I love the stuff, so I was having it pretty much every day.

Typically, I'll fry two extra eggs to take with me for my post-workout snack, which means I use oil. Should I switch to hardboiled, or is some cooking oil okay?

You should avoid using whole eggs for your post workout meal, as the yolk is a fat.  No cooking oil should be used in this case either.

Egg whites would be ok, or any other lean protein: chicken is a popular choice.

I don't think your digestion issues are being caused by starches: I believe it's for the reasons I stated in my original post.

The shakiness may be caused by not eating enough food - try upping your portion sizes and see if that helps.

Do you have any ideas on why I might be getting full quickly/nauseous when eating or why I might get shaky 2-3 hours after I eat? 

I think the brussel sprouts, cabbage and raw veggies may be causing you to be bloated.

The shakiness can be from not eating enough food, and/or not sufficiently salting your food and/or not drinking enough water. On the water, aim for at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily. 

Archived