Working Odd Hours

I'm on Day 16 of my first Whole30 and loving it so far. 

Do you have advice for those of us who work all hours of the day and night? I am a midwife and I have "meals on the go" ready for if I am away from home for long periods of time. I'm unsure of how to approach eating (or not) overnight. I know that working overnight in and of itself is tough on the body, but babies come when they want to! ;-)

For example, this morning I got a call at 5:00am. I normally wake up around 7:00 and eat between 7:30 and 8:00, but because I wanted to follow the "eat within 1 hour of waking" recommendation I had a mini meal running out the door (a hard boiled egg and a banana...followed later by scrambled eggs and roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze). 

If I have to be awake for 24 hours, do you still recommend eating every 4-5 hours or can I stop eating at my normal time and only have a mini meal if needed during the night?

Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

I don't have a lot of experience working odd hours nowadays, but the last time I had to work two shifts, I was hungry about every 5 hours and ate a meal. Your body needs more energy when you are awake and active, so it makes sense that you would need more than 3 meals in a 24-hour period if you are active during a greater portion of those hours than typical. 

Archived