Need some help with what to do about my reintroduction

reneeruecks

I am on day 15 of the Whole #30, my last day is the day before thanksgiving! I would like to continue eating this way, but I don't think I will get a proper reintroduction bc of the holiday.  I know I def will be having wine, I'm making dinner so I will be able to control what goes into the main course, but my house will be filled with desserts as well! I really do not want to have the sweets bc that will contain sugar, gluten and dairy, but if I do will the past 30 days be for nothing? can I just have one day and then jump right back into it? I didn't even think of reintroduction, I just needed to change my eating asap!

Desserts are my downfall, too. I feel your pain! Thanksgiving is a tough one. Food is so important on that day! Over all the meal itself can be compliant. I am lucky, I don't really like pumpkin pie. But, there are other things..... hopefully, I won't be exposed to too much of that! 

I just completed my first whole 30 last Friday. My plan is to remain fairly compliant (am reintroducing real butter I think....) because I like the way I have been eating. But, there will be a couple of instances where I will go off plan. But, I will have a plan, and a limit, for myself, and never 2 days in a row. Is that "legal" whole 30? Not sure. I want to continue down this path. Then start again after the holidays. 

So, the question comes back to you. CAN you have a small cheat afterwards and get back on track? I bet you can! And send those desserts home with people!

• Moderators

I am on day 15 of the Whole #30, my last day is the day before thanksgiving! I would like to continue eating this way, but I don't think I will get a proper reintroduction bc of the holiday.  I know I def will be having wine, I'm making dinner so I will be able to control what goes into the main course, but my house will be filled with desserts as well! I really do not want to have the sweets bc that will contain sugar, gluten and dairy, but if I do will the past 30 days be for nothing? can I just have one day and then jump right back into it? I didn't even think of reintroduction, I just needed to change my eating asap!

My advice would be ideally, you do another W30 where you have planned in the appropriate time to do reintroductions as that's actually the most important part of the Whole30.  If you don't want to do that, the least you would do is spend a week or two following Whole30 after your meal on Thanksgiving and then do reintroductions.  If you eat desserts and drink wine, you're putting grains, dairy, sugar, potentially soy, potentially sulfites etc... into your system all in the same 24 hour timespan so doing reintros without cleaning that out would not tell you very much about how each individual food item affects you.

If you're not too worried about doing re-intros now and you're planning on doing more of a Slow Roll re-intro as things come up for you, then I'd say you're good to do the best you can on Thanksgiving and then hop onto the Whole30 lifestyle train!

• Moderators

But, I will have a plan, and a limit, for myself, and never 2 days in a row. Is that "legal" whole 30? Not sure.

To answer your question, if you're consuming dairy (in real butter) or other off plan ingredients, then you're no longer doing a Whole30... but if you're making a plan for yourself that fits with your lifestyle, values and how your re-intros went then that's called Riding Your Own Bike and that's the idea... no one is expected to do a Whole365... in fact it's strongly discouraged... So is what you're describing a 'legal' whole 30? Nope. But it sounds like it's a great plan for WholeLinven.

To answer your question, if you're consuming dairy (in real butter) or other off plan ingredients, then you're no longer doing a Whole30... but if you're making a plan for yourself that fits with your lifestyle, values and how your re-intros went then that's called Riding Your Own Bike and that's the idea... no one is expected to do a Whole365... in fact it's strongly discouraged... So is what you're describing a 'legal' whole 30? Nope. But it sounds like it's a great plan for WholeLinven.

Yes, I think that is what I was getting at! I LIKE eating this way. I am satisfied without those cravings, that bloating, tiredness, etc. I would like to leave sugar and wheat completely out of my diet, but I know the occasional "cheat" will come along. And, yes, regular butter is not compliant, I know that. I am hoping, at 59 to figure out the best way to eat for my life, and this program has basically confirmed all those things I sort of knew, anyway. Like sugar, wheat (and maybe other grains as well.... I will work on those reintro's to find out), and lots of dairy. I was eating a LOT of Greek yogurt, telling myself it was good for me and had protein in it. And sugar! Duh....

Thanks!

• Moderators

Maybe I"m splitting hairs or being a bit of a jerk but psychology plays directly into how we view food... that said, my suggestion is... it's not a cheat... it's a decision you're going to make at points along the way to indulge in something that is worth it to you. Cheating makes it sound like you should feel guilty after... like you're not in control of what you choose to put into your mouth and worst of all, that you've done something wrong...

You're the only one you have to be accountable to and that means that you can't and don't cheat... you decide...

do most ppl eat paleo after the whole 30? I guess I'm a little confused what to do after. I was thinking I could probably try and make my own desserts and just have wine on thanksgiving.  I don't think I want to do another 30 days in the near future, but I don't know what I really even want to eat that I'm not eating now.  The only thing I know for sure is wine! lol 

Maybe I"m splitting hairs or being a bit of a jerk but psychology plays directly into how we view food... that said, my suggestion is... it's not a cheat... it's a decision you're going to make at points along the way to indulge in something that is worth it to you. Cheating makes it sound like you should feel guilty after... like you're not in control of what you choose to put into your mouth and worst of all, that you've done something wrong...

You're the only one you have to be accountable to and that means that you can't and don't cheat... you decide...

True, you have a good point. I do realize it is a decision to eat something that might not be optimal for me. It is more adult, I suppose, to call it a decision.

• Moderators

do most ppl eat paleo after the whole 30? I guess I'm a little confused what to do after. I was thinking I could probably try and make my own desserts and just have wine on thanksgiving.  I don't think I want to do another 30 days in the near future, but I don't know what I really even want to eat that I'm not eating now.  The only thing I know for sure is wine! lol 

After Whole30, you can decide how you want to eat. Some people feel really good eating Whole30 and mostly continue it, maybe allowing for sugar in things like ketchup or meat. The idea is to figure out what way of eating makes you feel best and fits into your lifestyle.

I'd suggest you read through the Life After Your Whole30 section of the website for more information. There are many articles about life after Whole30, and I particularly like the Dear Melissa: How do you eat series for a look at how life after Whole30 might look.

Archived