How bad are conventional raw eggs?

newwhole30er

The truly bad thing about "conventional" eggs (or "conventional" any animal products) are the way the animals are born/raised/marketed/shipped/butchered.  One of the lovely things about the Whole30 program is it's encouragement to support local farmers and non-"factory-farmed" animal products.  Check around for fairly priced eggs from humanely raised hens--the small amount you might save buying "conventional" isn't worth the inherent cruelty and poor quality ….IMHO.

I don't save a small amount by buying conventional, I save $5-6 a dozen.

As it is, with buying conventional everything, I can barely afford this way of eating. I keep kosher. Kosher meat and poultry costs about what grass-fed organic (non-kosher) meat and poultry does. You don't want to know what kosher, grass-fed, organic meat and poultry costs.

As it is, with buying conventional everything, I can barely afford this way of eating. 

Barely afford kosher or barely afford Whole30?  Other than possibly going grass-fed/pastured for your protein, what other big changes in your grocery bill have you seen under Whole30?

• Moderators

The truly bad thing about "conventional" eggs (or "conventional" any animal products) are the way the animals are born/raised/marketed/shipped/butchered.  One of the lovely things about the Whole30 program is it's encouragement to support local farmers and non-"factory-farmed" animal products.  Check around for fairly priced eggs from humanely raised hens--the small amount you might save buying "conventional" isn't worth the inherent cruelty and poor quality ….IMHO.

The Whole30 actually encourages people to do the best they can afford.  Obviously local, non factory, grass fed, humanely raised is the gold standard but a vast majority of people cannot afford that.  For instance, I buy my meat at Costco... is it the best?  Nope... but it's what I can afford and as a trade-off, I buy free range local eggs... if I couldn't afford that, I'd buy eggs at Costco too...

People are encouraged to keep their budget in check... no one is expected to go bankrupt on a Whole30 or risk not paying rent because they're paying $14.99/pound for ground beef when they can't afford it.

Barely afford kosher or barely afford Whole30?  Other than possibly going grass-fed/pastured for your protein, what other big changes in your grocery bill have you seen under Whole30?

Barely afford Whole30. We used to eat meat/chicken/poultry 1-2 times a week, and dairy/legumes/grains the rest of the time. Much cheaper...

Archived