Littleg's post nano log

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'm on day 6.  I was hogging a group thread out in the main forum so I'm going to post the details of my boring life here instead.

Day 5

22915517106_c824c01bc6_n.jpg beef, broccoli, avocado

22915517086_a808616699_n.jpg balsamic mushrooms, shank, beans with ghee

22753494730_38b2cee65a_n.jpg 

chicken thigh, mashed cauli, roasted butternut + big salad + big spoonful coconut butter

So no lie, yesterday was a struggle.  My gut was annoyed and uncomfortable, my stress level is through the roof because of my mother's health/care needs and despite cooking ALL afternoon I had practically nothing to show for it.  And I never made it to the gym.  But my my wonderful husband reminded me that bailing on the W30 (which mind you I wanted to do for friggin fruit**) would not make everything better.  So I ate a scoop of coconut butter from the jar :)  But I ate it slowly and savored each little morsel. And went to bed.  

**night gorges on fruit are my own thing, for W30 newbies eating fruit is ok!

Day 6

New day.  I'm super glad I didn't quit last night :)  Gut feels better.  I'm thinking I'm a little magnesium deficient because for the last 2 nights I've been taking the full 800mg dose and having NO GI effects.  I've been told that when you are meeting *your* Mg needs that is when the diarrhea kicks in so I guess I'm pretty needy right now.  Sleep is crap but that is the stress (my husband told me this morning we had 2 conversations last night - which I don't remember - during which I was really confused... awesome, add confused talking in my sleep to the list :) ).  

It is 7:15 on my day off.  M1 was done at 6:45.  Showered and dressed before eating.  Eye roll.  But M1 was super good.  I've got a plan for the day, I'm sticking to it and gosh darn it today is going to be better than yesterday!

22523213938_e35072204a_n.jpg

Shank (pressure cooker) pan fried with a little ghee, creamed spinach.  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Being magnesium deficient does not protect you from diarrhea. Most people are deficient and need supplementation, but a blood test is the way to know for sure. So to say this another way, you can over-consume magnesium and not get diarrhea, so don't use diarrhea as your dosage guide.

I personally have problems with diarrhea when I take magnesium citrate, but none at all when I take magnesium aspartate. It's a gut thing. :) 

Really?  Everything I'd read said that when you were at a "good" level your gut stopped absorbing the magnesium - thus leaving it in the gut to act as an osmotic laxative.  But that was just on forums and such, not pubmed, so who knows :)  I'd also read that when it was bound to a amino acid (the aspartate variety of OTC mag) it got digested/absorbed differently preventing the laxative effect.  Darn it, now I'm going to have to look this up for real...

Day 6

22523213938_e35072204a_n.jpg  Beef shank with creamed spinach, had a coffee with more coconut milk too

22955654515_01e555feb0_n.jpg Taco beef with some spinach and onions, brussel sprouts, avocado

Pre WO - chunk of beef heart stew meat and blob of mayo.  Which wasn't necessary because turned out I didn't have time to run.

Treat: Ginger Kombuca while grocery shopping... for the third time today.  Sigh.

22942162572_d65212e98f_n.jpg

Tenderloin, zucchini, brussel sprouts, kabocha with coconut milk (had more sprouts and kabocha)

So full right now.  Totally went to town today with fat and veggies.  Definitely felt fuller all day long.  Crazy personal/family life stuff still going on so no go on the exercise again today.  I was thinking of going before my 12h shifts Thurs and Fri but I think that is dumb.  Oh well, 4 days with no exercise will be ok.  

And today was a momentous day... I FINALLY made mayo that isn't runny.  And tastes good too!

M 0.5 @ 6:30 - HB egg, blob of mayo

M 1 @ 8:30 - slice of sausage, egg, veggie casserole, brussels in ghee, coconut milk on top and some coffee with coconut milk

M 2PM - last of the beef shank with gravy (made from a puree of the onions, carrots and celery that I made a batch of beef heart with), mashed cauli, more brussels, red pepper dipped in a little mayo (LOVING this mayo...)

Snack - apple

M 3 - 8:30 - fail.  3 extra small apples, 3 clementines, 1 normal sized apple.  BUT I did avoid the darn 5 POUND bag of Hershe's Minis at work...

Nope. Your meal three wasn't ideal, BUT I think you're doing brilliantly given what you've been going through, and where you were a few weeks back.

You're one of the few folk I've seen that eats anywhere close to what I eat too - so that makes me feel a little more 'normal'  :P  

So jealous of your sprouts though.......... 

Thanks for the feedback jmcbn but it was premature...

I fell into the coconut butter :(  Like 1/3 of a jar - ironically enough eaten off a knife while reading this forum :rolleyes: So not feeling so brilliant this morning.  Technically no non-compliant foods though so I'm still "technically" still able to count my 30 days. 

I'd like to think it was just all medium chain triglycerides that got burned off while I slept (I did wake up in a pool of sweat!).

Its these darn 14 hour work days.  I can't eat 3 meals at work, I don't want to eat a full breakfast at 5:30 AM... I just feel frustrated by all of this.  

I may try bringing egg salad or something as a mini-meal before coming home so maybe I won't be hungry and can avoid the fridge when I get home.  If I could just break this darn habit of making a bee-line to the kitchen when I get home.  Just a few days of it is all I need, I know that, I just can't seem to get Day 1 in the books.  :angry:

Day 8.  Work day.  

No breakfast, still had coconut burps :/

2 PM - 4 HB eggs, spoon of mayo for egg salad, pretty big bag of baby carrots (maybe 2 cups)

6 PM - palm of beef heart meat, mayo, 2 big apples

8 PM - 4 little apples, 1 grapefruit

Today (day 9) will be better.  Back to meals.  BUT I think egg salad as a late "snack/meal" at work is going to help - if I eat that I'm hoping to just come home and not eat anything before bed on work days.  And I'm doing this all for that darn mayo... its so good!

On the bright side... 1 month to the day after my D&C I got my period and am super hopeful that the fluid cysts that they saw this week will be gone and we can start another fertility treatment this month.  Unfortunately a few women in my little world have miscarried recently and are still not cycling months later... I hope my body has got things sort of figured out in there!

I love having good food ready to go!

22392562873_f282f55bf5_n.jpg

PS - those are frozen brussel sprouts from TJs.  Not as good as fresh but way easier and pretty good.

Woke up 6ish

Pre-WO - few pieces of beef heart, blob of mayo

XFit - 15-12-9 squat cleans/ring rows @95 lbs the 8 Rnds 10 wall balls, 5 burpees.  That was hard.  

Post-WO - more beef heart, big spoonful of mashed kabocha squash

22390990874_df5221978e_n.jpg

M1 - noon (oops...): all.the.food.

Piece of breakfast (ground pork, eggs, spinach, green beans, red pepper) casserole on a bed of mashed cauliflower.  Brussels and a half of a GIANT avocado.  Brussels cooked in ghee and I added a little to the cauliflower too.  May have a coconut milk coffee now too :)

23000289202_f98673c8e7_n.jpg

Day 9 Continued

Enjoyed a lovely coconut milk "latte" after my lunch.

Kombucha in the afternoon.

M2 - 6 PM: Clean the fridge out! Left over tenderloin, cauli mash, brussels.  Salad with a little homemade vinaigrette, 1/2 red pepper.  2 servings of the kabocha with coconut milk.  

22641431769_763a5c0c0e_n.jpg

Phew.  Good day of eating in the books.  Not munchy at all yesterday.  Pretty stressed but still didn't have any binge urges.  Didn't savor that kombucha though, it was craving/stress related.  

Day 10

OOB at 6:30, black coffee with preWO beef heart and mayo.

23044671831_ec6bb48c40_n.jpg

8 AM 5 mile run, beef heart and kabocha

22390990874_df5221978e_n.jpg

1 PM M1 - crazy life lately.  Sigh.  

Beef heart, brussels, spinach and onions with coconut milk

22420479823_4c56d81bf9_n.jpg

4 PM M2/Snack

1/2 grapefruit, 2 HB eggs

22423746653_9cff0364aa_n.jpg

7 PM M3 - salmon, roasted blue potatoes, pan fried zucchini (oh my gosh, this was delicious!) with a blob of mayo.  Had 2x the zucchini shown.  

23048582075_7171f9f327_n.jpg

1/3 of the way done.  2 days of work now though... hoping egg salad will save me :)

littleg - you rock!  Feeling for ya (I owe you a message - trust me, I'm crafting it).  I laughed when I read somewhere that it's hard to binge on coconut butter.  Clearly whoever wrote that has not met me.  The individual packets (1.6 oz each) are pricier, but a necessary investment for me.  I literally rip them open so that I can lick them clean.

You're making me feel better in case I have to miss today's workout, too (I missed Friday's due work meetings and looks like today is shaping up the same way. I get SO annoyed when they schedule meetings over the noon hour and think it's okay when they cater it with (crappy) food.  I prefer to work out during the noon hour and eat my template meal brought from home, later!).

jmcbn - my descriptions probably don't do my food volume justice.  I like to pack it away, too!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

The first time I ate out with a guy I dated once... "You sure do have a healthy appetite".  He honestly meant it as a compliment but, well, you know :)

GGG - single serving coconut butters?  I've seen the almond butter packs but I can't eat them so I'm stuck buying 3000 calories tubs of coconut butter and hoping I eat them in at least 3 servings :/  What brand are you buying?

You should suggest walking lunch meetings :)  

Got called off from work today from 7-3.  Happy dance!

OOB @5:15, PreWO beef heart and mayo

23044671831_ec6bb48c40_n.jpg

9 AM WO - internet worm hole got me... but I did do laundry and straighten up too in that time!  1 mile run then 4 x [5 push press @ 65, 25 lunges @65, walk back with bar overhead].  

PostWO - beef heart with sweet potato

22646979028_e6209e9a39_n.jpg

M1 @11: breakfast casserole (eggs, spinach, pork sausage, green beans, pepper) topped with coconut milk, brussels in ghee, coffee with coconut milk

22442602624_1466f5d5fc_n.jpg

Still feel hungry... 

2 PM M2 - I was STARVING (and sort of headache-y).  Shoveled in lunch to make it to work by 3.  And then told that I could go home at 4.  Good thing I went in for that hour... but I guess I should just be happy they let me go home :)

Left over salmon with some mayo, 2 servings of that kabocha with ghee, spinach/onions with coconut milk.  1.5L of seltzer thinking maybe I was just thirsty and not hungry...

22677288189_aa6472a06b_n.jpg

I eventually got full and at 4 while I was leaving work I told my husband over the phone - oh, I'm stuffed, I won't need dinner.  Hah.  

5 PM - handful of fresh raspberries, kombocha

7 PM M3 - 3 HB eggs, blob of mayo, handful of baby carrots and half of the eggplant I oven roasted this morning.  No picture.  

I feel like these last few days I am eating a TON of food.  And I'm going pretty liberal on the fat too - this morning I had ghee and coconut milk, same thing for lunch.  I feel ok and I'd like to think I won't gain weight eating all this fat but, argh, it is scary.  On the bright side tonight I'm feeling a little munchy (and not giving in) and you know what I want...?  More friggin' egg salad  :rolleyes:

Artisana!  (I buy it online via iHerb).

And yes, I'm scared of eating all the fat, too (my husband watched me eat a template supper last week and commented "Gee, hungry much?  Did you forget to eat earlier today?"  And since I eat breakfast at work, my boss has been commenting "Wow, that's quite the spread."  But gosh darn it, I'm hungry!  Didn't get enough at my breakfast again so here it is 10:10am (I ate at 7) and I'm just sucking it up until my pre-WO at 11:00.  Will plan a bigger template meal for tomorrow am.  And no more SWYPO treats starting this week (to get my "unofficial" Whole30 even closer to the real deal).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Thanks Lauren - I can find Artisana locally but I've never seen the packs.  

I'm not technically complaining about eating a lot (I have always been a good eater...), I'd love if it turns out I can keep this up - I'm just scared!

Day 12

Work Day

M0.5@6:15 - 1/4 avocado, last of the beef heart

22695419527_667b477f4f_n.jpg

M1@9 AM - Bfast casserole, sprouts with ghee, some coconut milk on top

M2@5 PM - I was going to go to lunch around 2:30 - and was hungry - and then a kiddo took a turn for the worse, so that didn't happen.  On the bright side, no dizziness, nausea or anything for going 8 hrs between meals.  Left over salmon, sautéed zucchini, oven roasted potatoes, big handful of baby carrots and an orange pepper.  Put a little mayo on the salmon.  Small apple.

Never ate the 3 HB eggs with mayo.  But I did pick up an apple and a kombucha in cafeteria when I left and ate 2 more at home.  Honestly, part of this was comfort/habit and part was I was really thirsty from not drinking all day and I just really wanted a nice juicy apple...

So M3 @8:30-9PM - 3 apples, kombucha

Walked the dogs for ~1 hr and then walked to the local food co-op.  Got a kombocha and drank that on the way home.

M2: Noon - STARVING.  Munched on baby carrots while I cooked, maybe 2 cups or so.  Then best lunch ever, taco meat with peppers, onions and spinach.  Oven roasted potatoes, sliced pepper.  Had some mayo for the potatoes because my avocados were too hard to eat.  

23132342161_2f6cb2dc3b_n.jpg

Got hungry around 4ish or so... which I didn't think would happen because of the giant lunch.  Had a liter of seltzer.  

5:30 - few bites of beef shank with a little coconut milk

Went bouldering for a bit.  With a bum shoulder and having not set foot in a climbing gym in 4 years it wasn't too taxing...

M3: 8:30 PM, 1/2 kabocha squash with a serving of coconut milk

23140858331_234b554018_n.jpg

Thanks Lauren - I can find Artisana locally but I've never seen the packs.  

I'm not technically complaining about eating a lot (I have always been a good eater...), I'd love if it turns out I can keep this up - I'm just scared!

THIS.

I feel exactly the same way.  On IIFYM I had days where I was consuming <30g of fat.  Now I'm sure I eat WAY more than that PER MEAL (not that I'm tracking!).  I would LOVE to be able to eat this way; I was constantly craving FAT before (and therefore bingeing on it).  This is much, much better.

You might have an even better time if you're able to scale back the fruit.  I know it's all very personal and "your mileage may vary" but I've had really good success with cutting myself back to 1 serving of fruit per day.  Top picks: 1 sweet, juicy apple or 1 cup of mixed berries.

Cheers!

-Lauren (GGG)

Hi WholeStanley!  

Lauren - no idea what IIFYM means.  I'm assuming M means macros but no idea about the other letters... :/  In general my W30 are always about NSVs.  Which is good but also not good.  I only have maybe 5-10 lbs to lose.  Most people don't think I need to lose weight but I'd like to look more like the athlete I am - it would be nice to just workout in a sports bra in August and not have my pooch jiggling around :)  I see lots of other women who are super lean to begin with lose weight after 30 days and lean out but not me.  When I did my W60 I think I lost about 3 lbs and maybe an inch off of my waist... but that was 60 days...

But this time around I really do hope to see a NSV and see some hormonal changes.  I am anovulatory despite regular periods.  I miscarried about 5 weeks ago at 10 weeks pregnant (after a year of trying and fertility treatments).  I'd love to be one of those miracle stories :)  I'd also like to lose the 2-3 lbs of pregnancy weight I put on and the 2-3 lbs of grief weight that came next.    Oh and my binge eating - I'm sure screwed up periods has something to do with that...   So overall this time around I feel a little more motivated because it isn't all just about vanity.  As of today this round feels a little easier too, I've only REALLY wanted to quite once - for apples! - and it was easy for hubs to talk me out of it.  Even avoiding this at work 2 days ago wasn't a huge effort:

22722144677_c35934dd0d_n.jpg

Anyways... also ate a HB egg last night after the squash.  

Went to bed around 9:30 up at 5:30.  I have a Misfit Shine that has a sleep tracker on it.  I'm a super restless sleeper so I have no idea if the data it tells me are accurate but my sleep is registering as more restful this last week or so.  I'm usually at 7 hrs light sleep and 1 hr restful sleep - but now I'm averaging 3-4 hrs restful.  

M1 - 7 AM - missed my one hour window because nothing sounded appealing.  But I did make a coconut milk coffee and start drinking that before the hour window :)

23106924112_32f439a8e4_n.jpg

Perhaps least appetizing meal ever - TJ broccoli slaw sautéed with some onion, left over oven roasted eggplant, palm serving of chicken from the "laying hen" (read: skrawny, super fatty chicken - which is ironic, huh?) I made stock from yesterday.  Oh and mayo.  Because I eat mayo at every meal now.  

22820058890_ed1be2412d_n.jpg

On a bit of a tangent here... I remember when my mom used to make chicken soup when I was a kid (so like 30 years ago... ugh) there was always a good cm of fat on the  top of the jars she put the stock in.  When I now make stock from chickens from the grocery store (which I rarely do anymore, this was pre-paleo and learning the importance of the source of your meat) there was hardly any.  They were giant, meaty chickens but there was never much fat.  This chicken I got yesterday was a pastured chicken and holy moly, there was a TON of fat on the top of the jars.  I don't even want to think about what agrobusiness has done to the chickens, their feed, etc to somehow change their body composition like that.  

9ish - 1 hour walk with  the dog, maybe 3 miles.  

M2 @ 12:45, I was hungry at 10:30 (had a kombucha) and then not really hungry when I ate.  3 HB eggs with mayo, sliced orange pepper, delicate squash with ghee, couple of cups of tea as well b/c it was colder in the house than outside!  Wishful thinking in that pint glass - that is seltzer with a splash of OJ.

22755455269_6cb3a7f75f_n.jpg

4:30 - workout, 3x5 squats @125, worked up to heavy 3 squat cleans @100, 3x5 then 3x3 strict press at 55, 65.  Ugh, my strength numbers are way down...

Post - bite of beef shank (literally, 1 little cube :) ), ~1/2 lb baby carrots

M3 @ 6:30, pork chop (maybe 1/3 of a pretty big one), sprouts with ghee, oven roasted sweet potato and a giant salad with a yellow pepper.  Mayo for the pork chop :)

22736841467_9a22c53d52_n.jpg

I also had a chai tea with coconut milk after breakfast, forgot that earlier.  Not as good as the coffee but on my days off I'm drinking a bit too much because it tastes good.  Even black now.  But I did just hear some study was released saying that people who drank 5 cups a day had lower rates of this, that and the other thing, so I'm sure I'm fine :)

Tomorrow is Day 15!

Day 15.  

OOB @ 5:30

Coffee with coconut milk

M1 @ 6:45 - left over chicken and beef shank with left over broccoli slaw sautéed with onion, yellow pepper, blob of mayo.  Not terribly satisfying. 

22847715940_dc6b8a9d7e_n.jpg

3 mile dog walk, 2 mile walk back and forth to the store.  Our life savings may be gone at this point.  Probably because I buy myself $5 snacks like a pack of seaweed snacks (I need iodine right!?) and a kombucha.  

Headachey and sort of light headed and STARVING by noon.  

M2 @ 12 - taco turkey (turkey, taco seasoning, onions, spinach, peppers all cooked up), sautéed zucchini, kabocha with coconut milk.  

22756331717_6babc418e5_n.jpg

PreWO - coffee with few spoonfuls of coconut milk

WO - doing Wendler 531 now instead of Crossfit after stumbling on some research that resonates with me regarding exercise and anovulation.  So I'm going to give cardio a break for a bit.  

Deadlift was the lift today, 3x5 at 115, 135, 155.  Then 5x10 back squat at 50% of this week's max weight (65 lbs).  I'm kind of excited about following this plan, its quick (1 lift + 1 accessory per day) so I have no excuse to skip mobility - so I really think this is what my body needs right now.  

PostWO - small piece of chicken thigh, 1/2 delicata squash

M3 @ 6:45 - beef shank seared in ghee, balsamic mushrooms, kale with an oil, basil, mustard, balsamic dressing and broccoli because there wasn't much kale.  Kabocha with coconut milk.  

22863855760_0bedb77774_n.jpg

Overall today I definitely felt hungrier.  Feel like I'm craving starch a bit too so I ate it at lunch and dinner today instead of just dinner.  

Definitely kind of scared of this volume of food and fat... deep breaths.  Jmbcn and GGG - remind me that you are tiny and eat this much too!

Archived