Littleg's post nano log

littleg

Lol - I was SO hungry yesterday and just decided to roll with it. I'm not tiny but I'm not overweight (other than the 5-10lbs I'd always like to lose but never can). I'm definitely muscular, reasonably lean, active and very hungry. I'm a good eater! Might not re-order coconut butter, though...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Day 16.

Yesterday didn't go so great.  

OOB @ 5:15.  1 black coffee and one w/ coconut milk.  Half a palm of beef shank with a little mayo.  

M1 @ 9ish - casserole (eggs, pork, onion, spinah, green bean) with coconut milk on it and some kale salad (massage kale, olive oil, vinegar, mustard) and some steamed broccoli.

At 12ish I started to get nauseous.  It began right after I drank some seltzer from a soda machine at work.  I dumped that and switched to water.  Didn't get better.  Light headed now too.  Went to go eat thinking maybe it was blood sugar.

M2 @ 1 - baby carrots, taco "scramble" (turkey, onion, peppers, onions and spinach), kabocha with coconut milk.  I ate all the meat, veggies and squash but had to stop eating the carrots because I felt too sick.  Told work I wanted to leave.  Ate a small apple for the carbs.

At 2 I had a conversation with someone that got me really riled up.  And instantly I felt better.  I had taken some nausea meds at 12 that should act pretty quickly so this was maybe an hour later.  So my theory is that it may have been blood sugar (and a bit of squash and a small apple wasn't enough to help it) and it took that "flight or fight" response to put out a little glucagon and get my glucose up.  But, maybe it was the zofran.  Or maybe it was the seltzer.  Who knows.  

5 PM Snack - apple and a pear (<-- comfort me fruit, I am sad and frustrated)

M3 @ 8:30ish - 3 apples, half palm of shank with a little mayo

So now I'm not sure what to do about carbs.  *If* this was blood sugar related I can't imagine that the "stress" of being hypoglycemic is going to help me regulate my hormones (no matter how good I am about eating in 1 hr of waking)... nor convince by body that is safe to put the energy in my reproductive cycle again.  I'm going to try increasing the starch a bit and see if it helps.  

But I'm not gonna lie... liberal fat use AND potatoes... hello fat pants is what my mind is thinking :(

Feeling for ya!  Crazy that we both had sick days with a possible link to carbonated water!  At least it sounds as though you didn't toss your proverbial cookies...

Eat whatever you need to eat. You can get your body back AFTER baby (trust me on this - I gained 45+ pounds while pregnant).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

I'm getting lipo at 40.  Baby or not.  Maybe.  Is that crazy that I want it?  15,000$ to not be a size 8... probably crazy.  But it is amazing what crazy head can make you want to do.  Lately in my self-pity moods I'm *definitely* getting lipo since we won't have the costs of raising a kid :(  And a lake house.  

Weird coincidence on the water... Glad you are feeling better!  

So today is back to day 1 for me.  After the last 2 weeks of food being around at work (brought in for birthdays, last days, early Thanksgivings, etc) for some reason yesterday I couldn't talk myself out of it.  Boo.  I won't go into the details but it wasn't just an unintended bite of something non-compliant.  It was quite deliberate and quite overboard and continued for the remainder of the day and into the night.  Today, of course, I quite hate myself.  But for me 15 days with no binge eating and *not* hating myself is pretty good... 

Not quite sure if I should just pick back up and go back to day 1 today or not.  I'm working Thanksgiving and Friday (I thought I'd save $ by not being off on Black Friday :) ) and they do a special meal for kids and staff at the hospital and I just don't know if I'll be able to not eat it.  I've yet to have a successful Thanksgiving or Christmas at work (if successful means NOT eating a dozen cookies amongst other assorted goodies).  I'm almost wondering if I should just wait until Friday to try to start and then try to make it to Christmas.  

I really was feeling so good about this W30 too.  Changing the focus to "having a baby" vs "losing 5 lbs" seemed to be helping.  But I still chose to give in to my urges over being healthy.  

Blah.

Ok, so back to day 1.  Sometimes a bad recent binge (like 2 nights ago) helps me not do it again too soon... so maybe I'll make it through Thanksgiving.  Hubs is doing a Friday - Christmas Eve W28 so at least he will still be doing it with me.  

Yesterday was rough.  Besides the disappointment in myself I had my follow up at the fertility clinic - the cysts that were improving really weren't.  I had to wait so long last week for my U/S after arriving that my bladder got too full and the cysts were just squished, not smaller.  My HCG also still isn't <3.  Had a bit of a  breakdown in the car after the appointment.  I do have a follow up talk with the "big guy" doc who runs the 3 clinics here in UPSNY.  I'm convinced that my low T3, low TSH (so my body doesn't think T3 is low) and anovulatory cycles are all somehow related.  Maybe this guy will be able to give me some insight...  

Ran 5 miles with doggy 1.  First time I've been under 9 min miles in a while.  8:50 pace.  That used to be a slow run.  But, it felt good and still being able to bang out 5 miles when I only run once every 1 to 2 weeks is ok.  It was a beautiful fall day too.  I love this weather!

Food for yesterday isn't worth repeating.  It was restrictive.

So, onto day 1.  Again.

OOB @ 5:15 - coffee with a little coconut milk

M1 @ 6:20 (so close!) - egg casserole (pork, onions, spinach, green beans, eggs), 1/2 potato, coconut milk (a little on the casserole, a little more in my second coffee)

22880813677_41f1f75bc7_n.jpg

2.5 mile dog walk.  Then did some errands and had a ginger kombucha ~10ish.  Was kinda hungry but the kombucha worked, so maybe I was thirsty...

M2 @11:45 - 3 HB eggs with scoop of mayo, whole avocado, baby carrots

23171422662_2f2b54b510_n.jpg

Pre WO - coffee with two spoonfuls of coconut milk, Post WO - shank with small sweet potato.  Took a picture with my hand to show portion sizes.  I'm trying hard not to use my kitchen scale... 

23178901122_eb36eaf921_n.jpg

WO - Wenders 531 - did bench and squat today.  5x80 for bench with 5x10 at 45 and 5x115 for squat with 5x10 at 70 after.  Bench was hard, haven't done that in a long time.  Hoping to actually stick with this program for the 12 weeks and see some improvements.  Did some glute/ham raises and lat pull downs too.

M3 @ 6 - giant bowl of salad greens with balsamic and mustard dressing, salmon, sauteed brussels with ghee, few slices of sweet potato, spoonful of mayo.  Not feeling full.  At all.

23204582631_5ef469cb17_n.jpg

Woo-hoo you're back!  (Not that you were really "gone").  Sorry to hear about the ultrasound and lab results.  I hope the "big guy" can give you some more insight.

Your food is gorgeous.  Not feeling full?  Eat more!  Sounds just like what happened to me last Friday night.  Maybe your body was trying to overcompensate for a day of restriction?

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

P.S. - Your mayo looks lovely.  I am inspired to re-attempt, but I forgot to put more olive oil on the shopping list this week (hubs does grocery shopping for the fam), so it will have to wait.

Fingers crossed for the "big guy" :)  Yesterday was definitely a restriction hunger.  Cooking up a giant breakfast right now to hopefully get me back on track.

I don't know how the mayo will taste with regular olive oil, but if you can get your hands on some light olive oil... holy moly it is so much better than regular mayo.  I've been reading that statement for 5 years and never really believed it... but once you get the mayo to thicken by using the right method/oil/mayo dust... damn it is good!

P.S. - Your mayo looks lovely.  I am inspired to re-attempt, but I forgot to put more olive oil on the shopping list this week (hubs does grocery shopping for the fam), so it will have to wait.

I don't know how the mayo will taste with regular olive oil, but if you can get your hands on some light olive oil... holy moly it is so much better than regular mayo.  I've been reading that statement for 5 years and never really believed it... but once you get the mayo to thicken by using the right method/oil/mayo dust... damn it is good!

Regular olive oil really is bleurgh for making mayo & I'm not a fan of using light tasting either as it is somewhat refined so I use walnut oil as I can get my hands on it cheaply & easily and it gives it a nice nutty flavour. Lots of folk like avocado oil or mac nut oil, or a combo of half/half avocado & coconut oil... 

As for the method I'm a dump & grind girl but it still takes some tweaking sometimes depending on the size of the eggs.

Store bought mayo will NEVER find a place in my cupboards again though...

Good luck for today littleg - your food yesterday looked great. I just find salmon not that satiating for some reason (I think it's flaky rather than dense?) which may well have factored a little in your hunger levels?... 

Regular olive oil really is bleurgh for making mayo & I'm not a fan of using light tasting either as it is somewhat refined so I use walnut oil as I can get my hands on it cheaply & easily and it gives it a nice nutty flavour. Lots of folk like avocado oil or mac nut oil, or a combo of half/half avocado & coconut oil... 

This is why I have two batches in my fridge right now!  I was eating so much of the light olive oil that I was uneasy with it being so processed.  I found one on-line source (and I believe *everything* I read on the internet) that says by the time it gets to "light" the beneficial O3/O6 ratios are gone anyway.  So I made another one with avocado oil - which, to be honest, really just isn't as good.  Maybe its the avocado oil I bought though - it tastes nothing like avocados (some more expensive brands are said to tasty avocado-y).  But walnut... I may have to try that!  Mac nut oil must be really expensive... I'm not sure I need $20/jar mayo!

Day 1 add on:  definitely hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli after dinner.  So I had some spinach and onions with coconut milk and the last of the chili in the fridge (this was maybe 1/3 of a cup) with a spoonful of mayo.  I sort of felt not hungry after that...

Day 2 - OOB at 6 - Didn't sleep well again last night.

M1@ 6:45: 1 lb brussels with ghee, 2 eggs, beef shank and 1/2 russet potato "hash" and coffee with coconut milk

23011538890_d256d31df1_n.jpg - I wasn't full after this.  WTF?!

2.5 mile dog walk, kombucha to try to fill my stomach... I was hungry enough to eat at 9 AM.  I never really felt full after breakfast.

11 AM - two sheets of nori attempting to make wasabi nori strips.  No matter how much powdered wasabi I put on them I can't taste it

~ 2:30 PM: I got stuck out (with no food) after meeting a friend for coffee at noon.  Dizzy, lightheaded, sort of nauseous.  Took my blood sugar - it was 74.  Not sure if that is low enough to feel bad or not.  When I was getting readings like that 2 weeks ago I felt fine.  

M2 @ 3 PM - spinach and onions with coconut milk, 2 carrots, small piece of kabocha squash, beef shank

23224739471_5796c06bc2_n.jpg

I'm still hungry!  Grr...

Day 3 & 4 were work days.  Overall changes: more carbs.

What I've been doing is having carbs with my small M1 before leaving and then a "real" M1 at work.  Then instead of M3 I sort of have a "snack" which combined with mini M1 would be a slightly bigger than normal meal.  These last 2 days evening munchies were ok - so maybe the increased carbs and increased food in general is ok... hope so.

Day 3

Mini M1 @ 6 AM - beef shank, kabocha squash with coconut milk

23212857272_13d53540da_n.jpg

Food for the day:  M1 - beef shank, roasted sweet potatoes, some steamed broccoli (that bowl last 2 days).  M2 - salmon with some mayo, spinach w onions and coconut milk (the jar in the back is ~3/4 c coconut milk - for the whole day - coffee, veggie toppings etc), orange pepper and mashed sweet potatoes.  Evening snack when I got home at 8 PM was 3 HB eggs with some mayo and baby carrots.

22953362099_e18b26cb2f_n.jpg

Day 4 was pretty much the same, just turkey instead of salmon.

22717251463_6d9294543c_n.jpg Before work.

23318325346_783049053e_n.jpgAt work.  Had a ~1/2 palm of roasted turkey hubs made when I got home too. 

What I've been noticing... kombucha makes me really phlegmy.  I don't know if this is a "bad" thing or not.  It would be good because my booth habit is expensive.  It would be bad because I love it.

Overall: Day 3 I definitely was less hungry than normal so I thought maybe I really did need the carbs and they were helping.  Day 4 not so much - the totally crappy icing cake looked good :)  But its only day 4 so I could muster a little self control :)

Day 5

OOB at 6:30 or so (had been up for an hour though).  M1 at 7:30.  

23260993392_d62e508540_n.jpg

Most of the drumstick went to the dogs.  Too tendony for me.  I got another chunk of thigh meat though to make up for it.  

Crazy of all crazy.  I was full.  Before I was done.  Finished it anyway though - in the interest of not being hungry later.

Eek!  Haven't been posting.  But all has been good - food wise I've been right on :)  But, I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday when I went to get "real" Day 1 measurements for this W30.  At this point I did 2 weeks of good W30, then had 1 bad day, then 6 good days (so really they were day 6 measurements)... and my pants were tighter than when I started.  And since my other metric of success (fertility) isn't something I can somehow "track" I felt like "why am I even doing this?".  But I got over it.  Still frustrating though.  

Here are some pictures:

Day 6

M1 yesterday

22790723244_971f3c055e_n.jpg Breakfast casserole, 1/2 avocado, blue roasted potatoes

M2 on our 8 mile hike.  Perfect fall day.  

23419096625_2b55fc85b6_n.jpg Broccoli, sweet potato, turkey, mayo

2 apples on the car ride home.  

I already forgot what dinner was... Probably had mayo in it :)

Today Day 7

22807021093_24b3dbce7e_n.jpg Before 12 hr shift: kabocha squash, beef shank, mayo, broccoli

22807020073_4ce1df52bb_n.jpg

Food for the day: beef shank, sweet potato, spinach, coconut milk, mayo, broccoli, sweet potato, turkey, 2 peppers, baby carrots, 3 eggs.  HUNGRY all day.  

Ate more beef shank and an egg with mayo when I got home at 8 PM

23325702722_fc4cbf75fe_n.jpg

Day 8

2.5 hrs after waking up - had fasting blood work

7:30 Breakfast casserole, sweet potato, broccoli with mayo, coffee with some coconut milk

23374750091_1ac7d317f1_n.jpg

2.5 mile dog walk, 2 mile to and from store

11ish - kombucha

1ish - small sausage patty, broccoli with ghee, 1/2 sweet potato with ghee

4 PM - lifted - squat day - built up to 3x125, then 5x10 at 70, did lat pull downs too 3x10 at 90

No pre, post was a little white meat turkey and 1/4 sweet potato 

22826437494_f67672eebb_n.jpg

Munched on baby carrots while cooking - maybe 10oz or so... Dinner was taco beef, sautéed onions and peppers, broccoli with ghee.  Had 2x broccoli shown and then an HB egg with mayo because I still felt hungry.

23161457310_ab578dec4c_n.jpg

Off to watch Game of Thrones :)  Loving the HBO Now I got for my husband's birthday... yep, got it just for him ;)

Day 9 - work day.  Today I finally did it... I ate a GIANT M1 before leaving for work.  And crazy of all crazies... it worked!

OOB at 5:15

6:00 M1 - small breakfast sausage patty, small sweet potato with ghee, pan fried broccoli, 3 HB eggs with mayo, coconut cream in my coffee

22853418703_63858dc1df_n.jpg

12:30 M2 (ready to eat) - taco beef on top of spinach, onions and peppers (all frozen veggies tossed into a pan - easy!), a little mayo, sliced red pepper, roasted sweet potato, decaf coffee with coconut milk

Had a plan to eat M3 at work at 6:15, but of course that was when my little patient decided it wasn't really time for me to eat :)  Ate when I got home.  At this point I was too hungry.

8 PM M3 - 3 HB eggs, hamburger patty, baby carrots, mayo, a little too much coconut butter (but not too bad! - really just an extra 2 spoonfuls)

So overall - I couldn't believe how well that giant M1 worked.  I was so convinced that eating at 6 AM would just set me up for failure - but it worked yesterday :)  If I had been able to eat M3 at 6ish instead of 8 when I was way to hungry it may have just been my best day yet :)

Off to watch Game of Thrones :)  Loving the HBO Now I got for my husband's birthday... yep, got it just for him ;)

Best. Series. Ever!

I'm very lucky in that much of it is filmed in around where I live so I've been to every filming location in the country. Still haven't managed to catch a glimpse of Jon Snow in the flesh, although Jamie Lannister was in our local Market buying Paleo treats - not in character though, obviously!!  :D

Oh, my gosh!  That is so cool :)  Jamie Lannister's character lost a bunch of weight (or so it seemed) in seasons 3-4 - I wonder if he ate paleo to do it...?

And lucky you - living in a place as pretty as some of that scenery!  Ireland is on the list of places hubs and I want to vacation - I'll have to ask for suggestions if we ever actually commit to it.  What time of year would be best for Ireland?  We are both in jobs that we can take 7-10 days off any time of year.

Yeah, his face really seemed to slim down - not sure how he ate before though!

Best time of year here weather wise is probably May/June & then September/October. July & August really can be hit or miss, and then with the whole 40 shades of green thing going on here you kind of have to expect rain for the rest of the year..... :wacko: 

Doesn't make it any less beautiful though!! 

Day 10 finished out a little on the hungrier side despite a giant breakfast.  

M2 12ish

23443969131_bcd735d4ed_n.jpg

Taco beef mixed with frozen onion, peppers, spinach, blob of mayo added post picture, broccoli, sweet potatoes

M3 7ish, couldn't get ourselves organized.  Despite cooking every day we seemed to have no food in the fridge...

22898136134_efffc0b59d_n.jpg

This was a freezer meal mostly - frozen burger (thank goodness it was there - we had no protein thawed out), sautéed frozen brussels, sautéed zucchini.  The last of the lettuce with some ranch dressing on it.  Not counting the ranch, this may have been my first mayo free meal in a while :)

I tried a ranch dressing recipe yesterday - mayo, coconut milk and spices.  Despite what everyone says about bottled ranch... I like it.  I get the "better" kinds that must be refrigerated - and granted they've got soybean oil in them but I think they are tasty.  This compliant ranch was pretty good.  On a salad I think someone might just think it wasn't quite ranch, maybe some onion dip flavored dressing, but when you just stick your finger in it - definitely not ranch.  But still good enough.  The mayo - that I could eat by the jar and would honestly never buy store bought again, but if I could find a ranch that just had good ingredients (even dairy) I'd probably go back to that.

Day 11.

M1 6:30 Same breakfast.  I think 3 days in a row is enough - tomorrow I may change it up :)

22853418703_63858dc1df_n.jpg

PreWO - coffee with coconut milk

7 mile hike with needed-to-get-out-of-the-house-or-we-were-going-to-kill-him (but not really) monster #1.  2000 or so vertical.  2 hrs 16 min, speedy for me.  It felt flatter than normal today.  

Post hike around 2 PM 1 small banana, can of tuna (I didn't actually bring a post WO meal with me... oops... luckily there is decent grocery store near the mtn)

M2 3:30 PM - last of the taco beef, onions, peppers, spinach with some mayo.  Sweet potato chunks.

M3 6 PM - brisket, cauli/kabocha mash, roasted potatoes, oven roasted broccoli.  

So today was not the best day.  I felt really off - sad, anxious, just generally bad.  It has been sorta rainy here for the last 3 days, I'm a little cranky with stuff going on at work, haven't slept great the last two nights... so lots of "could be"s.  Mentally I was right back where I was 7 weeks ago after my m/c.  I actually cried while I was hiking today, just replaying that moment when there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound.  I'd really felt so much better these last 3 weeks or so it kind of took me by surprise today.  Besides monster desperately needing to get out and run his butt off I knew I needed to get out today because a day at home might have been the end of W30 for me.  I had some thoughts about eating junk food today but never really considered it.  By the time I finished my hike all I wanted was my beef and veggies :)  I'm glad I was able to find something else to get me through a tough day.  I hope that the next time a day like this strikes I'm able to make the same good choices.

Day 12 - work day.

M1 @ 6 AM - no change, 3 HB eggs with mayo, sausage patty, sweet potato with ghee, broccoli

Brought to work:

23262962630_e13d1170c6_n.jpg

M2 @ 12:30 - ginger zucchini soup, beef shank over sautéed spinach, peppers and onions with some sweet potatoes.  Mayo.  Of course :)  Coconut milk coffee.

M3 @ 5:30 - brisket, spinach and onions with coconut milk, left over kabocha/cauli mash.

Snack @ 8 PM - 2 HB eggs, sliced orange pepper with a little homemade ranch

Archived