Littleg's post nano log

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Ali - you are totally right.  I went through all that logic in my head.  The problem totally lies in the connection between "wah! I'm unhappy!" and "apples".  I need to take my own advice and stop.the.friggin.pattern.  It is just so hard in the moment.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with the caramel popcorn?  That is *everywhere* this year!  I'm Jewish so growing up Christmas goodies weren't around (I lived in a Jewish area)... but I've been in a non-Jewish area for 10 years now and I've never seen caramel popcorn like this year.  Weird.

Totally! Everywhere! Look at the nutrition label on the caramel corn the next time it's around. Popcorn is either the 3rd or 4th ingredient! Guess what the number one ingredient is! Oh shoot...it's either sugar or corn syrup...but either way, that is so ridiculous!

It is just so hard in the moment.

Yes. It will get easier though, with practice and self-patience. That's the way Diet Coke was for me.

Also, distraction is key. Distract yourself by reading a book, watching a movie, going for a walk, painting your toenails, taking a nap. Get your mind and thoughts off of the food. Then you will be well read, entertained, energized, have pretty toenails, and rested. :)

Pretty toenails make everything better :)

The weird thing is is that I did quit Coke Zero.  So I totally know that addictive behaviors are changeable.  I just read about your extinction burst.  I'll keep that in mind next time...  silly brain.

One nice thing about Christmas being not as big a deal in Asia is no Christmas baked goods in the office (other than what I bring in!).

Littleg, I know YOU know that if you're justifying apples, then you have your answer. Do they fit the template? Again, there are worse-than choices you could make, but the Whole30 is about best-possible choices.

That being said, am I always going to pick avocado or olives or coconut milk over nuts or seeds as my fat? Nope! (Maybe something to shoot for on my next Whole30).

Cheers!

Day 25 - Off

OOB at 5:30

Sipped on coconut milk coffee

M1 at 7:15

23208063834_68b042003c_n.jpg

2 HB eggs with mayo, salmon cake with mayo, spoonful of roasted potatoes, broccoli, sliced orange pepper

M2 at 12:00

23208062954_6f278d3abb_n.jpg

2 salmon patties, mayo, ghee, sliced red pepper (upping the fat again)

Pre-WO - ~3/4 decaf coconut milk coffee

Work out - squats - working max set was 140.  Got 5.  Kinda crappy form.  I'm crooked, I need to go to the chiropractor.  Then 5x10 @ 75.  Squat cleans - tried for 105 for all sets, got 2 sets of 2 and last set was 3.  3x10 at 105 lat pull downs.  No magically easy pull ups today, too tired from the pull downs.  

Post WO - kombucha - at the grocery store

M3 at 6:45 

23209398423_ddcafcea24_n.jpg

LadyShanny - thank you for posting this!

Balsamic Vinagarette

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup whole grain dijon

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

garlic powder, S&P

Put into a magic bullet or use an immersion blender and emulsify.  

So good!! Ate a salad just to have the dressing :)  Chicken thigh (TJ's frozen, no bone, no skin) cooked in sesame oil, coconut aminos, ginger and garlic.  Came out really tasty.  Oven baked eggplant and sautéed broccoli.

Hard to find compliant Dijon here. Ditto coconut aminos. So excited for my North American Whole30 (and then I'll be lamenting all the Asian produce I can't get lol).

I have not found compliant Dijon mustard here in US yet. What brand doesn't contain wine?

I have a killer recipe for paleo sloppy joe sauce (served over steamed zoodles) that uses a fair amount of coconut aminos!

Are you moving back to America?? :)

I have not found compliant Dijon mustard here in US yet. What brand doesn't contain wine?

I have a killer recipe for paleo sloppy joe sauce (served over steamed zoodles) that uses a fair amount of coconut aminos!

Are you moving back to America?? :)

This question amuses me simply because I've never lived in America (but there's a small chance I could get an assignment in Houston, which I would take.  Seriously, any city with a Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods.  I've never lived in one with either of those stores.  I don't think you could get me to leave!  The city, I mean.  Not TJ/WF).

No, I'm Canadian and I am most likely going to end up in Calgary, AB (my husband's hometown) after this assignment. 

But seriously, I'm enough of a weirdo that I like the idea of a Whole30 "reunion" where you and I and littleg and SNE and ArtFossil could all meet up in person.  Meeting new people is fun!

This question amuses me simply because I've never lived in America (but there's a small chance I could get an assignment in Houston, which I would take.  Seriously, any city with a Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods.  I've never lived in one with either of those stores.  I don't think you could get me to leave!  The city, I mean.  Not TJ/WF).

No, I'm Canadian and I am most likely going to end up in Calgary, AB (my husband's hometown) after this assignment. 

But seriously, I'm enough of a weirdo that I like the idea of a Whole30 "reunion" where you and I and littleg and SNE and ArtFossil could all meet up in person.  Meeting new people is fun!

I have thought about that too! Yesterday during my run I was thinking how fun it would be to meet and hang out and continue our Whole 30 lives together!

When I read Calgary, AB, I immediately thought Alabama. Ha! I live in North Carolina so I was selfishly hoping for somewhere close by. Geography was never a top subject of mine. I've only been to Canada twice--for the Falls.

littleg - your meals look so yummy! 

Ali and Lauren - I met up with some Body for Life friends several years ago. It was so much fun. My (non-cyber) friends were like, "You're meeting with people you only know from the internet?" lol Everyone was exactly who they portrayed themselves to be online. And they were quality people. 

We should all totally meet up :)  In NY ;)  Because that is near me :)  We can all go to a crossfit workout together and then eat the totally not compliant dressing I made :/  I totally didn't even think about the wine in the mustard. 

Not counting this as a derailment though.  Probably more alcohol in my kombucha since mustard doesn't come with an alcohol warning label.  

I'm not even going to not finish the dressing - cause its really friggin' good.

Day 27 - Work Day

M1 at 6 AM - brisket, broccoli slaw, potatoes, mayo, 1 HB egg with mayo.  Coconut milk coffee before eating.

23476077289_772a7ecd32_n.jpg

M2 at 2 PM - ok, so I guess I should accept I won't ever eat lunch at noon at work... Spinach, peppers, onions, taco meat, mayo.  Salad with dressing.  This is when I read the post about the wine and my stomach dropped a little.  But then I decided it was ok.  

4 PM - coconut milk coffee

6 PM - *almost* went and bought an apple.  But I didn't <--- yeah!!!.  Ate 2 HB eggs with mayo.  

8 PM - holy moly I have a new favorite food.  Wings!  We brushed ours with some ghee mixed with Frank's hot sauce.  Fatty meat here I come :)  Salad with more of that delicious dressing :)  I'm so rebellious.  

23774512891_aca6e642b0_n.jpg

Yeah, once my town finally got a Trader Joes I figured life was good.

And I've been to Calgary. I drove 3500 miles from Denver to Fairbanks back when the Alaska Highway still had 1500 miles of gravel road. Good times!

M2 at 2 PM - ok, so I guess I should accept I won't ever eat lunch at noon at work...

Dang littleg! Every day you work, lunch is at 2pm! Are there no other nurses to watch after your patients at 12 or 12:30? Don't they know you're on the Whole 30?! :)

Not that you asked, but since that keeps happening, I guess I would just eat extra at M1, knowing it has to tide you over for 8 hours. Of course if you did that, that would probably be the day you get to eat at noon...

Also, I am totally in if you guys decide to get together! It's just a 10-hour train ride or a 2-hour flight for me! GGG, I doubt you want to fly to NYC from Korea...when are you back in this part of the world? I have never crossfit-ed, but if you hand me some 6 pound Dumbbells, I can bicep curl the heck out of them! ;) I'm a chronic cardio person, all the way!

Dang littleg! Every day you work, lunch is at 2pm! Are there no other nurses to watch after your patients at 12 or 12:30? Don't they know you're on the Whole 30?! :)

Not that you asked, but since that keeps happening, I guess I would just eat extra at M1, knowing it has to tide you over for 8 hours. Of course if you did that, that would probably be the day you get to eat at noon...

Also, I am totally in if you guys decide to get together! It's just a 10-hour train ride or a 2-hour flight for me! GGG, I doubt you want to fly to NYC from Korea...when are you back in this part of the world? I have never crossfit-ed, but if you hand me some 6 pound Dumbbells, I can bicep curl the heck out of them! ;) I'm a chronic cardio person, all the way!

Yup, in for NYC meet-up.  Only God knows at this point when we'll be back in North America (or my boss, but if he does, he hasn't told me).  Likely not until the September/October timeframe next year.  We can have a 1-year anniversary meet-up and do some Christmas shopping at Macy's!

Haha, Ali, I'll convert you.  Here's my theme song: "I'm all about the lifts, 'bout the lifts, no runnin'."  Sounds like littleg and I can bench press you. :-)

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Here is the deal with 2 PM... in the NICU the babies are on a Q3 schedule for vitals and feeds which means that your babies are first due at 8,9 or 10.  Then they are due again at 11,12 and 1 - so for a 12 hour day I'm waiting until at least half of my day is over before I eat... so I eat after the 1 PM baby.  On the peds floors there just always seems to be a rush at shift change for a few hours, a calm around 11 and then as rounds finish up and orders go in another rush around noon... getting me out at 2ish.  There is often also another rush around 5 or 6.  I don't know why this is.  I'll be switching to a 12,8,8,8 schedule in a month and I really hope that helps.  I'm am so over 12 hour days right now - I used to LOVE them (hello 4 days off a week!!!) but now that its cold and rainy and gross all the time I am feeling more like I just completely lose 3 days every week.  I can't workout, can't cook, can't eat on a normal schedule... I am really hating 12s right now.  

Grumble.

Day 28 - long story ahead: short version: I made it by the skin of my teeth but pretty poorly...

Work day. 

6 AM - 3 HB eggs with mayo, small sausage patty, broccoli, coconut milk coffee

23236707604_5e8c591233_n.jpg

10:30.  Hungry and bored.  Probably why I was hungry.  Yesterday made up for the eat-lunch-at-5 PM-day I had a few weeks back on this unit.  

11 AM - black decaf to distract myself

1 PM - lunch - spinach, onions, peppers with taco meat and mayo.  Big salad with some of that dressing and 2 small carrots.  Ate some of my coworkers celery to *really* get all the dressing out of the little spice jar it was in.

3:30.  Hungry.  Bored.  4 more hours to go... got a seltzer.  

6 PM.  Hungry.  Got an apple and a pear (sorry guys... :( )

7:30 - 4 apples for dinner.  Then things took a nosedive.  I really felt hungry (or so I thought, I don't even know) so I gave myself permission to eat but it had to be food.  I ate more of the spinach, pepper, onion mix with taco meat and then reheated a bunch of oven baked potatoes.  Too many potatoes.  

Fell asleep trying as hard as I could to not.open.the.coconut.butter.  Luckily my magnesium and all the carbs kicked in so I passed out pretty quick.  

Woke up at 5:30, fell back to sleep until 6ish and got out of bed with my stomach GROWLING!  Ugh.

Random fact: my thyroid med dose went up 2 weeks ago.  MD told me to try taking 2/3 of the dose in the AM 1/3 in the PM.  I keep forgetting the PM dose so yesterday I took the whole dose in the AM.  At work there is a thermometer at the nurse station -  took my temp 99.4... that is up almost 3 degrees from my baseline.  When I first went on the thyroid meds 9 months ago I was always hungry... after pregnancy and m/c the previous dose seemed to not work (temps back down, cold all the time, labs back in the crapper) and I wasn't as hungry.  Yesterday was the first time I'd felt that hunger again - its weird - its like an urge to binge - but not really - because I don't want crap I just want to eat a giant meal of veggies and meat - which tells me its real hunger to some degree.  

Still rambling... Brewer posted something about a no-man's land between keto and whole30.  I have no idea if she is right but I do know that is where I am.  I'm eating very few starches and except for my apple-fests no fruit.  Some days I'm probably at 50ish g of carbs (not counting net carbs) - I eat A LOT of veggies (1 lb bags of spinach, whole peppers, add onions to most sautés, etc) but that is it.  So if "net" carbs count I'm probably at 30-40g/day of carbs a day.  Which is probably the exact wrong place to be.  I think this is part of the reason I've been struggling with apples so much these last few weeks - my body is like "WTF do you want me to do?  Ketones or glucose lady... figure it out!".  And I don't know what I want.  I want to just not be hungry.  

Its a theory Brewer posed about being not low carb enough for keto but too low carb to really just be balanced.  So no ketones, too much hunger, etc.  

Day 29 - Off

This morning I decided to give keto a shot.  I did use cronometer to see where I was macronutrient wise (I know, bad bad - but I'm not good at waiting, so I did it before W30 was over).  

8 AM M1 - 1 boiled egg, 1 yolk, ~2 tbsp mayo, small sausage patty, mescaline mix with drizzle of avocado oil, coconut milk coffee (about 2 tbsp in there)

1:30 PM M2- mesclun mix with that mustard/oil/vinegar dressing, coconut butter - like 5 tbsp - I had no other low protein/high fat options in the house

I spent way too much time on the interweb this morning looking up keto stuff.  I took the dogs for our usual 2.5 mile walk and listened to a Jimmy Moore podcast.  He had some woman on who has written a book about low carb living.   The entire podcast was answering emails and call ins... from women, on keto diets... who are miserable and not losing weight.  The whole thing was very disheartening.  The theme for all these women was "I am trying so hard and *nothing* is happening" - some were 100 lbs overweight, weighing and logging their food, exercising (mostly walking) - one woman was a crossfitter... overall it was *not* the thing I needed to hear.  I actually weighed out my lettuce today... that and the podcast kinda put me over the edge.  So I was keto for breakfast and lunch :)

6 PM M3 - 6 oz of carrots while cooking and dinner was another giant salad with 1 red pepper, more of that dressing and then the last of the brisket with broccoli and eggplant in sesame oil, aminos, ginger and garlic.  Yummy.  

23814334931_a52c73fe71_n.jpg

So today was kind of crappy.  I'm down about yet another W30 without the miraculous changes that seem to come so easy for other women (some of whom are lean and fit).  I also thought today about how I was so upset with my binge last night - and granted 4 apples and a cup of roasted potatoes might not be a "binge" but they were (again) eaten in a binge like way (eating beyond satiety, eating without being in the moment and without control).  And I really want to try keto but I just don't feel good about it right now.  I don't want to go back to weighing and measuring food - that was one of the things I liked so much about the W30 is it gets me out of doing that.  So, just as Brewer said above I think I need to get out of the no-man's land that I'm in.  I'm going to add back in some starchy carbs and not keep heading down that slippery slope of very low carb but *not quite* ketosis.  I think I'll stick with W30 for another 30 days with more carbs than I have been having and see if it helps.  

Ali - between you and your nut butters (saying you and your nuts sounded wrong ;) ) and me and my almost-keto we are driving Brewer bonkers!

Archived