Day 24 and still feeling "rubbish" running

Hi all. I am on day 24 of my first Whole30.  Overall my energy levels are great (as long as I get enough sleep, which I do need 8 hours of!).  But, my running still feels awful. I am someone who always talks about how much I love running. I could easily run 6 miles without having done much in the way of prep.  Until now. Every time I run my chest hurts and hills in particular hurt my legs. I no longer love running :(

In terms of nutrition, I have always been a morning runner and have never needed to eat before I head out. My theory was that after a few weeks of the Whole30, my body would be used to burning fat as fuel and I would be able to do the same. But it just hasn't worked out like that. Right now I run 2 or 3 mornings a week and do yoga 3 times a week. The yoga is all good, it's just the running that's giving me issues.

I have made sure to eat a lot of starchy vegetables and have potato or sweet potato's at least once if not twice per day.  I eat a lot. I actually feel guilty because I eat so much, particularly things like nuts and coconut shavings ( have a snack between lunch and dinner). Despite this I have definitely lost weight and can see and feel the difference (have not weighed myself of course).

Anyway, overall I love this program and want to keep eating this way at least most of the time after the 30 days. But the challenge with feeling good and happy running is the one area that has me thinking it's not right for me. Maybe I am just someone who needs more carbs in their life.

Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Yvette

Did you previously skip a morning meal entirely or have it after your run?  If you're accustomed to intermittent fasting, forcing a third meal on yourself may last six more days.

So potatoes, nuts, and coconut.  What else are you having?

How late do you eat the last time at night?

Hi Sleeve!

Definitey have always eaten 3 meals and pre Whole30 usually a snack and sweets after dinner too. Typically I would come home from a morning work out by around 8am and eat my breakfast somewhere between 9 and 10am.  Then lunch around 1pm. Snack 4pm. Dinner 7.30pm. Dessert 8.30pm or later.  

SInce starting the Whole30 I have been eating a little different but not too much.  Breakfast is ealier (more like 8-9.30), lunch between 12.30 and 1.30, snack when I get home at like 6pm as I"m starving.  Dinner around 7-7.30pm.  Try not to have sweets....but still may have some nuts or coconut shavings up until 9.30pm.  

Today was as follows;

Breakfast of two egg omelette with turkey bacon, onions and spinach

Coffee with home made almond milk

Lunch of 2 salmon cakes and fresh made salad including half avocado and walnuts

6pm snack of some carrot sticks and guacamole

8pm dinner of 2 turkey pattys and salad with avocado and olive oil dressing

After dinner - Handful of grapes and some coconut shavings

Realize I didn't have any potato's today but there is sweet potato's in the salmon cakes and I do usually have some.

From here in I will try eating some protein pre my morning work out to see if it helps.  All other tips are very welcome!
Big thanks

Archived