Day 24 and WHERE are my NSVs?

lcar28

I've already posted my complaints, and how much/what I eat (honestly, I follow the meal templates very closely, rarely eat raw or stomach-troibling veggies and include at least 2-3 fats per meal), so I'll cut to it - I feel like crap. Worse than before I started, and I started so I could stop feeling like crap. It seemed like a good idea and was endorsed by several people I know as well as tons of internet users I don't know. I have SIBO that keeps recurring despite the designer antibiotics, and PCOS that destroys me all the time, and I really wanted this to work. But it's just not.

I can't seem to eat enough to reach the magical 3-4+ hours of satiety, I get hungry every 2 hours or so, and I keep ending up with days where I'll binge (approved foods, usually there's a lot of coconut, chicken and baked potato involved) or just be hungry and hangry all day. My digestive distress just seems to deteriorate, my energy is always in the tank, I can't control my hypoglycemia (an issue for me since I was a teenager), I'm just miserable and I want to quit and eat some grains or peanut butter or something.

The response to my first complaint post was to eat more, but I really feel maxed out (both in stomach and wallet capacity). Do I need to extend my 30 days? Is this just not going to work for me?

I did eat a lot of carbs prior, but not that much grain or added sugar - mostly fruit and some whole grains, and a lot of nuts and nut butters (which I've also cut, because these were my snacks and because I really can't afford them anymore now that I've replaced grains and legumes with meat). Suggestions?

• Moderators

Could you post a few days' worth of meals with portions (and brutal honesty)? That would help us better help you trouble shoot.

And yes, more than likely, given your issues and their longevity, you may need longer than 30 days to see the changes you're looking for. 

A typical day goes:

Pre-wo: hard boiled egg, 16-20 oz water

Post-wo: 1/2-1 c starchy veg (potato, sweet potato, squash, pumpkin) and 2-3 oz chicken

Meal 1: veggies (1/2 zucchini, 1/2 pepper, 2 handfuls of baby spinach) cooked in 1 T coconut oil, scrambled with 3 eggs and 1/4 c salsa, 1/2 avocado, 1-2 potatoes (baked or roasted), coffee w about 2t each of coconut oil and ghee

1 liter of water when I get to work

Mid-morning snack: leftover meat (2-3 oz) and veggies (1/2-1 c cooked) from the day before, handful of coconut, herbal tea

Meal 2: 6 oz salmon or 2-3 salmon cakes (well fed recipe), 1/2 avocado, cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil, coconut aminos and rice vinegar, baked yam with 2t coconut oil, more herbal tea, 16 oz water

More water throughout the afternoon

Meal 3: 3 oz chicken or beef cooked with carrots, greens and bone broth, 1-2 handfuls of olives or coconut, baked or roasted potato, fruit (small apple/banana/citrus or grapes or a kiwi), 4-8 oz water

Meal 4: 4-6 oz meat or fish, or 3 eggs, sauteed with 1-2 c cooked veggies (greens, mushrooms, occasionally carrots, onions, garlic, peppers), side of squash or zoodles drizzled with olive oil or ghee, more coconut or occasionally a handful of cacao nibs and maybe a piece of fruit (dinner varies depending on meal plan for the week - it's not always a sauteed; sometimes it's soup, stew, chili, etc). And more water. I probably consume 4-5 liters a day.

I breastfeed a 10-month-old, sleep 6.5-7.5 hours a night (see 10-month-old), work a full-time sedentary job, am squarely within the "healthy" weight range, and work out 50-60 min usually 5, sometimes 6, days per week.

Just a thought - if you have been having SIBO you should be following the low FODMAP template.  (I suspect I have it - I have it yet to be confirmed - there are a lot of fingers pointing in the general direction of SIBO)

Based on your meals there are foods that could very well be contributing to your overall feeling of unwellness.

A typical day goes:

Pre-wo: hard boiled egg, 16-20 oz water

Post-wo: 1/2-1 c starchy veg (potato, sweet potato, squash, pumpkin) and 2-3 oz chicken

Meal 1: veggies (1/2 zucchini, 1/2 pepper, 2 handfuls of baby spinach) cooked in 1 T coconut oil, scrambled with 3 eggs and 1/4 c salsa, 1/2 avocado, 1-2 potatoes (baked or roasted), coffee w about 2t each of coconut oil and ghee

1 liter of water when I get to work

Mid-morning snack: leftover meat (2-3 oz) and veggies (1/2-1 c cooked) from the day before, handful of coconut, herbal tea

Meal 2: 6 oz salmon or 2-3 salmon cakes (well fed recipe), 1/2 avocado, cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil, coconut aminos and rice vinegar, baked yam with 2t coconut oil, more herbal tea, 16 oz water

More water throughout the afternoon

Meal 3: 3 oz chicken or beef cooked with carrots, greens and bone broth, 1-2 handfuls of olives or coconut, baked or roasted potato, fruit (small apple/banana/citrus or grapes or a kiwi), 4-8 oz water

Meal 4: 4-6 oz meat or fish, or 3 eggs, sauteed with 1-2 c cooked veggies (greens, mushrooms, occasionally carrots, onions, garlic, peppers), side of squash or zoodles drizzled with olive oil or ghee, more coconut or occasionally a handful of cacao nibs and maybe a piece of fruit (dinner varies depending on meal plan for the week - it's not always a sauteed; sometimes it's soup, stew, chili, etc). And more water. I probably consume 4-5 liters a day.

I breastfeed a 10-month-old, sleep 6.5-7.5 hours a night (see 10-month-old), work a full-time sedentary job, am squarely within the "healthy" weight range, and work out 50-60 min usually 5, sometimes 6, days per week.

I highlighted the sweet potato / squash / pumpkin - as some people have issues with them and others don't.  My own context is that I am okay with sweet potato, butternut and spaghetti squash - but kombocha squash or acorn squash give me issues (and these are my two favourites!)

both Onions and avocadoes wreak terrible havoc on my system - so I try to avoid them - but onions are the more harder one to avoid as they make everything taste so good.

Coconut oil is fine but coconut chips or milk - cause more digestive issues, and loose stool issues (sorry I know it's TMI) so go easy.

I know this is hard as like you said - you want to just have some grains or peanut butter.  This craving tells me that you need to increase your starchies even more and increase your fat even more.  Your meals look good overall - and you are doing so well.  I completely understand the level of frustration that you are experiencing (I try to go low fodmap + autoimmune protocol-ish - so it can be very limiting)

Thanks for the input, and the sympathy. Much appreciated!

If it were remotely possible to do whole30 and fodmaps on a budget without starving, I might try it. However, I've done low fodmap before with no success (I gave it 2 months and saw no improvement, and it was a huge hassle and kind of expensive for me, so I just don't think it's sustainable). I don't do coconut chips and I don't drink much coconut milk either. I eat shredded coconut and sometimes I just eat coconut oil off a spoon in an effort to add calories. Same goes for the starchy veggies. If I cut out the squash, pumpkin, etc am I supposed to eat just white potatoes all day? I've received conflicting advice to limit this too. Ugh.

Any thoughts as to how I can eat enough and keep my belly happy? Just discouraged and frustrated at this point.

Coconut oil off the spoon - roll with it for now.  You are nursing so fat consumption is important.  Eat olives randomly throughout the day. 

Some starchy veggies that are FODMAP friendly are:

Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, Green Plantains, Turnip, Rutabaga,

Maybes: Squash, pumpkin and Sweet potatoes - some people can handle them without a problem and some complain of issues - you are the only one who can answer this.

Check out whole 30 low FODMAP list here: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

Personally I would stay away from the restrict list and see if that helps.

Maybe start with consuming a blended soup made with bone broth throughout the day - helps with digestive issues. Save bones from wherever you can get your hands on them. I never worry from which animal they come from. So if you have turkey or pork bones - fine. Make broth and then make soup.  You can do Carrot Ginger (good for the stomach), potato parsnip - just some general ideas.

• Moderators

What is a NSV ?? I tried the search engine but it told me the term was not allowed….

The in-forum search function won't search for words of three letters or fewer. A better way to search is to use Google and search whole30 forum plus whatever you're looking for.

Archived