Day 1 today (11/13) and looking for some team mates!

KLRochester

Hello fellow Whole30-ers! Today is my Day 1 and I feel excited/nervous/prepared/underprepared, etc. :) I'm looking for some team mates who are also starting today and would like to keep in touch with each other as we enter this journey together. We are going to end just before Christmas, so we can have wine and egg nog with our families! Hooray! 

--

Last night I rocked the Day 0 prep by making the tomato sauce, spaghetti squash, mayo, and spinach frittata. If this gives you any indication of my level of expertise in the kitchen, here are a few funny moments that occurred:

- I set off the fire alarm several times just heating up the oven to try and broil the spinach frittata (resorted to baking it... it's a little runny... better luck next time!)

- I bought a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes for the tomato sauce instead of 28 oz, so I ended up substituting tomatoes with water

- I couldn't find light olive oil at the grocery store for mayo, so I used extra virgin olive oil and hey! It's not so bad. It has a super strong flavor, but it could be worse.

Here's a pic of some of the meal prep, pre-fire alarm. 

Anyway, for anyone else who starts today, I'd love to be on your Whole30 team. I'm also tracking my progress at: https://www.instagram.com/fitgirl_littleT/

Cheers and here's to our healthy new lifestyle!

post-81776-0-48403200-1447425850_thumb.p

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey  fitgirl_littleT, I'm starting Sunday, Nov 15th .  So I'll be working it out with you for most of the 30 days.  

How was your first day? Was it like in the book?  Happy, Easy, Hard, etc?

Hey there! Today was good -- I had some headaches throughout the day and got really sleepy from 2:00 until dinner (even though I had good, compliant snacks like string beans and grapes at work.) I made an amazing dinner - I'm following the book's recommended week 1 meal plan. The really disappointing part came when I went to make my ranch dressing tonight and tasted some of the coconut cream out of the can, and... unfortunately, I didn't realize that there was potassium metabisulfite in it, so I have to start over tomorrow. I was SO disappointed because I made it through today and I was looking forward to calling tomorrow Day 2. So just make sure to check and double check your labels when you go grocery shopping - I went for an hour - to make sure you don't make this disappointing mistake too. :( Tomorrow is my official Day 1 now. 

My husband and I just completed our first day! We were not as prepared as you but I'm actually looking forward to making the compliant sauces tomorrow since it's a Saturday. We like to go out to new fun restaurants and love our cocktails, so I am scared about the (now 29!) days. We love to cook so I'm trying to view this more as a culinary challenge and hope that helps me stay motivated with preparing and cooking. (If you fail to plan, you plan to fail)

We definitely had a few days of trying to fit as much bread, cheese and cocktails into our system so I'm not sure if today was recovering from that and/or Day 1. We both felt a bit lightheaded and dizzy, like the start of a headache but nothing too bad.

Tomorrow and Sunday are the "hangover days" so we will see how I feel then :/

Good luck everyone!

My husband and I just completed our first day! We were not as prepared as you but I'm actually looking forward to making the compliant sauces tomorrow since it's a Saturday. We like to go out to new fun restaurants and love our cocktails, so I am scared about the (now 29!) days. We love to cook so I'm trying to view this more as a culinary challenge and hope that helps me stay motivated with preparing and cooking. (If you fail to plan, you plan to fail)

We definitely had a few days of trying to fit as much bread, cheese and cocktails into our system so I'm not sure if today was recovering from that and/or Day 1. We both felt a bit lightheaded and dizzy, like the start of a headache but nothing too bad.

Tomorrow and Sunday are the "hangover days" so we will see how I feel then :/

Good luck everyone!

Hey there! It's so nice to meet someone else who just started yesterday. I'm glad that we have a space where we can share our woes/successes, etc. Again, since I technically had a non-compliant additive last night, I'm starting over today. I already feel less headache-y than I did yesterday, so I'm hoping that's a good sign!

One interesting observation I've made so far today is that I almost feel like I have nothing to look forward to today because I don't have sugar, dairy, Chipotle, fast food, the excitement of what I may or may not eat later. Everything is planned out, and it makes me feel kind of sad and unexcited. I guess my relationship with food was more intense than I originally thought!

I've done no drinking/clean eating stints before but nothing this strict, slip ups/cheats are ok, and the longest I've lasted on that was 10 days (which is interesting since that is the number of days they say most people will fail on whole 30!) But I say without a doubt it's always due to the fact that I feel like I've earned that cocktail or deserve happy hour with friends (and fried food). I thought it was interesting how this program talks about changing what makes us feel rewarded. I always feel like I deserve a drink after I get home from work, for example,so I'm actually more concerned about my will power/emotions once the work week starts up.

One thing we are trying to do is set a weekly reward for ourselves...for example a massage, or do a food/alcohol free date that we wouldn't normally consider (which is also interesting to think of the this we used to completely ignore if they weren't centered around food/drinks). Also, we weren't big readers in the past, but have always liked to read, just found we "didn't have time" basically bc we were mindlessly watching TV for way to long while eating on the couch, so we went to the library to look for books we want to read.

Not sure if these weekly reward ideas or discovering new hobbies helps at all to make you feel less deprived? I think staying as busy as possible also helps.

Also, I tend to be a lot more optimistic in the mornings so we will see how hopeful I am about all of this around 4pm tonight!

Have you seen this website before? http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

She talks ab how overly well planned meal plans may not be right for everyone and suggests "hot plate" meals which is basically just an equation of meat+veggies +sauce+spices. Maybe if you bought a bunch of random veggies and protein it would be more exciting when meal time came for you? Or, we were thinking of cooking up a lot of different meals on the front end (like on sunday) and then pick what we want randomly for each meal (since everything will be compliant). Although I foresee the first meal being much more exciting than the last when options have ran out :/

Does anyone know why my timestamp says 6:02pm? I'm in Colorado and it's 11:02am

I believe the time stamp is Mountain Time, given Whole9 is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Your time stamp on this message with your question is 1:04 pm.

I've done no drinking/clean eating stints before but nothing this strict, slip ups/cheats are ok, and the longest I've lasted on that was 10 days (which is interesting since that is the number of days they say most people will fail on whole 30!) But I say without a doubt it's always due to the fact that I feel like I've earned that cocktail or deserve happy hour with friends (and fried food). I thought it was interesting how this program talks about changing what makes us feel rewarded. I always feel like I deserve a drink after I get home from work, for example,so I'm actually more concerned about my will power/emotions once the work week starts up.

One thing we are trying to do is set a weekly reward for ourselves...for example a massage, or do a food/alcohol free date that we wouldn't normally consider (which is also interesting to think of the this we used to completely ignore if they weren't centered around food/drinks). Also, we weren't big readers in the past, but have always liked to read, just found we "didn't have time" basically bc we were mindlessly watching TV for way to long while eating on the couch, so we went to the library to look for books we want to read.

Not sure if these weekly reward ideas or discovering new hobbies helps at all to make you feel less deprived? I think staying as busy as possible also helps.

Also, I tend to be a lot more optimistic in the mornings so we will see how hopeful I am about all of this around 4pm tonight!

I love your idea of setting up a weekly reward! That way this is broken down into weeks instead of into a giant chunk of 30 days. I do believe in the mantra that it only takes one bite at a time to make these good decisions. :) I'm starting a blog for myself to keep track of everything, because I'm the type of person that feels really satisfied when it's all laid out. I'll share the link on here when it looks good!

How did your Day 1 go? Mine was SO much better than my almost-totally-complete day 1 yesterday... and I found non-additive coconut milk! Hooray! Now I can really get this show on the road. 

Hi, I'd love to team up with you. I restarted my W30 today after crashing last week on Day 16. I know I'll have to go into the holidays now. So, I can use the support. I live with 4 people who are not Whole30 at all, and I have to cook for all of them. I offer healthy things to my kids as much as possible but have some picky eaters and need to keep crackers on hand.

Hi, I'd love to team up with you. I restarted my W30 today after crashing last week on Day 16. I know I'll have to go into the holidays now. So, I can use the support. I live with 4 people who are not Whole30 at all, and I have to cook for all of them. I offer healthy things to my kids as much as possible but have some picky eaters and need to keep crackers on hand.

Welcome to the team, Wendy! I'm subscribed to this thread, so every time one of us posts we'll be able to support each other. Happy Day 2!

Hi!

Im planning on starting tomorrow so I would be a few days behind but would love to join you all. This will be my second time doing a whole30. Nervous and a little scared because my job is stressful and tiring which for me means emotional eating :)

I also emotionally eat....all the time. In fact, even when I'm happy I eat things to celebrate that feeling. Welcome to the team! :) Happy Day 0...tomorrow's a good day!

Hey everyone! Looks like we have quite the team going right now. I'm at the end of Day 2 and I'm feeling good. It's crazy how much clearer I've felt waking up the past two days. We'll see if that lasts when I wake up for my run tomorrow morning while it's dark outside and I'm angry that I can't have cream in my coffee. Just so I'm keeping track, our team is made up of:

zimmerak

Better#13stronger
Wendy Riley
Jess in the UK
senseofsnow

My actual name is Katrina, so feel free to call me that while we're on here. How are you all doing?

Hi all. Great to see lots of folks here, Day 0 was Saturday, I prepped and prepped. I have stew, chili, mayo, ketchup, and vinaigrette. We just got a wegmans here so I had to check it out. Quite fun. I need the meal plan. I also started a mindfulness/meditation app. It's a short daily mindfulness audio AND it has a pause button (15 second, 2 breathes with a picture to look at)

Day 1 My family loved the stew. The chili without beans however, not so much. I managed iced tea instead of diet coke.

Day 2, I just woke up starving. Planning on frittata for breakfast. Bought Nom Nom Paleo app for some additional recipes.

Fitgirl - Sorry about reset but you're on it!

Sense of snow - what prompted you to do another whole 30?

Wendy Riley - my family are not whole 30 either and I cook for them too. My daughter eats a lot of microwave popcorn.

Better#13stronger - I love the weekly reward.

Jess in the UK - what prompted you to do another whole 30?

senseofsnow - I'm in the same boat as you. I have 1 Whole30 under my belt but didn't do a reinto protocol so I don't know what things are O.K. In the past, my menstrual cramping has been way better if I don't have dairy, and my last Whole30 revealed a HUGE psychological addiction to grains. I'm afraid to discover that the things I can eat are the ones my DH won't eat anyway. (GF grains and beans). Pizza was my fav food pre-whole30, and the fam still eats it weekly.

Pizza and Halloween candy were my downfall earlier this month. (After a week of watch everyone eat chocolate...well, you get the idea.) Previous attempts have ended at or before day 15.

I'm doing this now because I'm always tired and have trouble focusing. My oldest son has food allergies to peanuts, dairy, tree nuts, and eggs. Also, coconut makes his eczema flare up. I'd like to put him on an elimination diet to see if his ADD symptoms improve, but I don't want us in the "kill all the things" stage together. My goal is to do a full sugar detox with the kids after the holidays.

I like how many people we have on here! I haven't been checking in a million times a day like I thought I would because, WOW I'm a whole lot busier between the planning, shoppping, cooking, dishes, researching than I thought I'd be! I'm starting Day 4 (uh oh, kill all things) but have found this process to so far be surprisingly smooth. I think I tend to make bad choices when I have too much downtime, which this so far has not allowed at all. I have no idea how people with families do this!! Props to you!!

I work from home a few days a week, so only have to go into the office 3x. I'm very scared about that because that tends to be a major trigger for me..both while I'm there (lots of temptations) and then when I get home (I made it! Now where is my reward)....since I've been relatively focused during these first hard days I'm scared it will all come crashing down tomorrow when I'm in the "real world" :(

I have all my meals ready to go and food already bought to prep for Wed, so hopefully I won't find any excuses to use. Because we don't have kids, and relatively flexible jobs, I've realized we dont really ever plan for the week. Which tends to leave us making bad food choices just because we haven't planned. We necessarily didn't want pizza (just kidding when does pizza ever sound bad) but we would have eaten something else if we had the ingredients at home already to make it...so that is a good life lesson I'm going to try and hold on to after this.

BTW I had never had coconut milk before...I'm not sure if it is because I haven't had anything really sweet in the last few days but YUMMM!!! Is there anyway to use the extra milk that I have from other recipes? We don't drink coffee, and I know that's how most people use it. I know we rely on fat now, but still I probably shouldn't drink it straight :) I thought about seeing if it would whip up like whipped cream and combine it with fruit, but I feel like that may be crossing the faux dessert/treat line?

We successfully made mayo and ranch last night and we were impressed with ourselves and the recipes! Although I can see those being an issue with over indulging.

I know this isn't a traditional diet, but all the other diets I've been on I've at least been aware of how many calories I'm taking in, or supposed to be taking in. I always yo yo with dieting and I know Whole 30 is beneficial for that, but is anyone else nervous about the calories? I am trying not to get the majority of them from fat, but I also know we need more fat than what I'm previously used to,but I'm scared if I'm at the right balance or not. Definitely don't want to come out of this thing weighing MORE. ( yes, yes I know there are plenty of other good benefits :) )

Did anyone get "hungover" on days 2-3? My husband hungover as been super tired,achy and had a bad runny nose. We are still trying to figure out if it is a legit cold or just the detoxing.

Good luck everyone trying not to Kill All Things!!

Wendy Riley- (again I know it's not all about the weight loss but still...) Did you regain any weight you lost or see side effects that had gone away come back? I'm worried what happens if we are retraining our bodies to rely on fat now, but then go back to eating carbs even in low quantities, what that is going to do. Do most people after the Whole 30 go to a paleo lifestyle? I'm really confused on what happens long-term

Hey Better#13Stronger! Congrats on all your work and meal prep. I think that helps a ton. It's funny you say that you think you'll have a harder time in the real world than at home.. I have the opposite problem. I used to just eat and eat at home because all that food was just...sitting there. Being at work helps a bit, but then I'm sitting at my desk, like, where are my chips at!  :o

I actually feel like Saturday was my combo hangover + kill all the things day. I'm really SUPER bloated though and have been since yesterday. My stomach is absolutely huge right now... I guess my body has not yet gotten the cue to actually start digesting fat, so it's just holding onto all of it. 

I've started to chronicle this journey. Feel free to follow or comment if you have any similar experiences: www.whiskintoshape.wordpress.com I don't want to overshare on here, so I'm oversharing there! haha  :P

Last thing: I went for a run this morning and it was terrible. It was a short one, too, compared to the 6 miles I did on Saturday. Yikes! Looking forward to getting through this physically sluggish phase. 

Do most people after the Whole 30 go to a paleo lifestyle? I'm really confused on what happens long-term

As we frequently say on here, everyone is as individual as a snowflake.  The reasons people take on a Whole30 vary, and the results vary. Your reasons for completing a Whole30 , along with your reintroduction results, will drive how you choose to eat (or as we say, "ride your own bike") going forward.

Better#13Stronger - I lost 30 lbs (pregnancy weight) the first time in 2013 and gained about 20 lbs back in the last year due to stress, cravings, and bad choices. I recently watched Melissa Hartwig's video on Stress and Cravings, which is why I'm making some other Whole 9 goals this time around. ie. "I will not drink coffee after noon." "I will write Morning/afternoon/evening routines and post them prominently." I'm also planning to use 2 hrs. a week as a big cook-up day. I spent Saturday AM rocking out to The Piano Guys, and washing, chopping, and browning.

Suggestions for your coconut milk: stick in in the fridge for 24 hours to let it separate and chill if you want to whip it. This way the solids can separate and you can scoop it off the top. Freeze you mixing bowl and beaters for 15 minutes. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and whip it like you mean it. The recipe is in Well Fed so I don't consider it SWYPO. Or, freeze it in an ice cube tray and thaw what you need for your recipes.

Archived