Day 1 today (11/13) and looking for some team mates!

KLRochester

Zimmerack: I am doing another whole30 because some things stuck from before but...other habits crept in again and I just feel like it was so worth it so why not?

Day one was pretty uneventful..good meals, no snacking, went to the gym, and NO COFFEE!!! No headaches either..we will see what tomorrow brings:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katrina - Love whisk into shape, great photos.

Jess - thanks for responding.mmglad it's going well, it's easy to fall back into old habits.

day 2 without diet coke. Drinking iced tea. If I could maintain one permanent change it would be to never have another diet coke ever. Sounds silly but my longest streak so far has been 85 days. I don't remember why I went back just that I did. So I remember that choice and have vowed not to do it this time.

Keep with it and don't kill all the things (if you're there...)

Is anyone else doing the exact meal plan for the first week? We just finished day 1 and there was SO much food!! Even with the planned leftovers for tomorrow. It's all super yummy, though, so we are enjoying that

I've "worked out" Day 2,3 and 4 and they have been pitiful.

I just got a weird headache a few hours ago, but managed to get through the day without killing anything, so I will call that a win.

Wendy- thanks for the coconut milk ideas! My husband will be excited about the whipped coconut milk :)

Katrina - you will have to keep me strong Tues/Thurs/Fri and I've got you on the weekends!

Hello

I started on the 11th but would like to join the group.  This is my first time doing the Whole30 or anything similar.  So far so good.  How are you all handling snacking?  I'm a grazer and usually have one real meal for dinner.  Making and eating so many meals is the hardest part of this challenge for me,  

How are you all handling snacking?  I'm a grazer and usually have one real meal for dinner.  Making and eating so many meals is the hardest part of this challenge for me,

Welcome!

Instead of focusing on snacking, work on building 3 meals a day of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours, starting within 1 hour of waking. This allows for optimal hormonal balance. The meal template is your friend to build such meals. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Until you get to that place, if you get genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.

FindingNemo - I definitely had to snack a little the first couple of days, but today (Day 4) I feel a lot better after my breakfast. It's hard to make a big breakfast with protein, veggies AND fat, but I did it today and I don't regret it at all. I'm almost ready to head into lunch, which I'm choosing to do because I'm getting hungry. Who knew - your body tells you when to eat! (not being sarcastic, I've just never really listened before)

Better#13Stronger - how are you doing today at work sans home time?

Coconut in my coffee this morning was just....amazing. I'm so excited about that as an option.

I've been snacking but am hoping to curtail that once I am through the first couple of days.  My two go to snacks are 1 oz nuts and a little bit of unsweetened coconut and the other snack is an apple.  I am being a little easy on the snacking thing since I need to shed my 2-4 diet cokes per day habit.

I am going to starting working on thanksgiving too.  thanks for the references.

Zimmerak, I decided to do a second one..because well, I was slipping and my pants were letting me know.  I had not one, but two pairs of jeans split in unmentionable places IN PUBLIC.  On the second one, which happened getting into an uber...I decided it was time to really commit to doing a second one. :)

Zimmerak, I decided to do a second one..because well, I was slipping and my pants were letting me know.  I had not one, but two pairs of jeans split in unmentionable places IN PUBLIC.  On the second one, which happened getting into an uber...I decided it was time to really commit to doing a second one. :)

I ripped ALL of my jeans over the past year!! Then I went to Gap and bought the jeans/leggings... and while I do think they are a Godsend, I'll admit that the main reason I bought them is because I was tired of fighting buttons and feeling them dig into me all day. SO OVER IT. Thanks for sharing this story... I so feel you! :) 

Hello team! I'm heading to the airport today and will be traveling from this afternoon until Saturday night. I'm nervous about how I'm going to find three good meals per day, but  I'm looking forward to the challenge. I printed out all of the Whole30 PDFs and am going to carry them around relentlessly. Also - there's a Chipotle not far from my hotel, so I at least know I can get carnitas, lettuce, salsa, and guac there. It's not a bad meal!

On another note, I'm helping to plan some of the side dishes at Thanksgiving at a friend's house this year. I had my terrifying text conversation with her today where I was like, "Uhhh so I'm doing a food challenge to reset my relationship with food, and I was wondering if I could bring some side dishes to contribute?" And she was super understanding! So I'm going to bring (at least) seared chicken, mashed cauliflower, and green beans. Hooray!

One thing I'd love help with from a moderator is knowing how to make chicken broth without the whole bones process. If that's the only way, fine, I'll do it - but is there a better solution? Or a link to a conversation in the forum somewhere that I can read? Thanks!  :D

Here's to Day 5, team - we got this!

Katrina, they recommend a brand called Imagine Natural Creations, their organic and free range broths. Although recommend may be an exaggeration. They still really push for bone broth, but if you can't make your own or order it online, that brand is acceptable, knowing you won't get additional benefits that bone broth has. I bought it for the butternut squash soup I'm making tonight :)

So we got snow yesterday so I got to work from home and avoid my first day in the office! Although I was all excited to show my Co workers my fancy lunch, that will have to wait until tomorrow. My annoying headache fuzzy head turned into a full blown headache around 7 last night and was still in full force this morning. I had a kombucha which seemed to really help. I've been drinking a lot of water, but I guess I could always use more. Anyone else still having hangover symptoms?

Also, did anyone make the cabbage slaw from the book last night? Thoughts? That has been my least favorite meal to date.

• Administrators

One thing I'd love help with from a moderator is knowing how to make chicken broth without the whole bones process. If that's the only way, fine, I'll do it - but is there a better solution? Or a link to a conversation in the forum somewhere that I can read? Thanks!  :D

Sorry, you want to make broth without bones? You could make a veggie broth or just use chicken meat, I suppose. Can I ask why you don't want to use bones? The minerals and nutrients that you get from slow cooking the bones is second to none.

Can you try checking your store's weekly ad to see what's on sale and create a game plan before you go? It might also be helpful to think of proteins and veggies that would be good in a morning frittata. I still can't get used to the leftover dinner for breakfast idea so have been cutting up the protein and sautéing up the veggies to throw in a frittata (8-9 eggs, 1/4 cup coconut milk @350 for ab 30 min, makes ab 4 servings)

Happy one week to everyone, btw!!! I'm going strong, but really missing my scale! A lot more than I thought. I honestly think I may miss it more than alcohol?! Which is insane and I guess shows how much the scale really controlled me. Not to say I'm NOT missing my cocktails, but it has been a lot easy for me to go without them on Whole30 versus any other time I've tried to cut alcohol completely out. Maybe it's because I'm too busy planning prepping shopping cooking cleaning!

How is everyone else doing?? What are you struggling with the most! Days 10 and 11 are almost here and I'm determined to get through them!

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA -- have been traveling since Wednesday. The Whole30 is so hard on the road, especially in airports. I was able to keep compliant though, and I feel awesome changes in the way my pants are fitting. It's getting easier and easier to glaze over any prepackaged food, which used to be my biggest downfall. Better#13Stronger -- so glad you're staying away from your scale! Make sure you don't step on it. Want to give it to a friend for safekeeping??

Congrats on staying compliant while traveling! It's so difficult to plan just regularly day to day,so I'm impressed!

My husband hid the scale, but there are several at the gym! I keep trying to tell myself that even if I were to break down and weight there it would be off from the scale I'm used to at home. I'm just scared bc all the food we are eating is SO GOOD and I'm feeling overall really satisified...it's scary to just trust the process. I am noticing positive changes, so I guess I just need to stay focused on that.

One major wonderful thing is my sleep! I don't think I've ever slept this well. The whole program is helping me stay on a solid sleep schedule.

Where is the rest of our team? I hope everyone is still going strong. Tomorrow begins "the hardest days"...im looking at it as we're almost half way through and done with the hardest parts!

Archived