Can I eat chicken drumsticks ?

Just4me73

CaGirl

Sorry I know that seemed like a stupid question :)

The reason I ask is because of the skin, and thank for your reply

It's perfectly fine to eat chicken skin on Whole30. I often roast skin-on chicken thighs coated with oil in the oven at a high temp so the skin gets crispy! I might hold off a little on adding too much extra fat to that meal, since that type of cooking holds more of the oil than, say, sauteing, but it's not a bad thing!

Thanks Berrybird

With the drumsticks I also serve sweet potato and a veggie stir fry cooked in coconut oil, I plugged it all into an app out of curiosity and it says the meals contains 21gm of fat....is that an acceptable amount per meal ?

We're not into macro counting on a Whole30.

Instead, use satiety as your guide. You want to build meals of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours. If you're hungry sooner than that, increase your portions. If a meal lasts you beyond that time-frame, cut back on the portions.

• Administrators

Remember that if you are going to eat the skin, you should be using the best, most concientiously raised chicken that you can find. If you are using conventional chicken, skin should be stripped and fat should be drained. The toxins of conventional farming practices are stored in the animals skin and fat. Properly raised chickens though, eat that skin up!

I see that many recipes call for thighs with skin on. Most chicken thighs with skin are sold with bundles of fat hanging around. Do you trim that before you cook? Though the fat is good, looking at lumps of that kind of fat makes me sick. I can eat ghee and coconut butter etc.. but not his kind of fat. Is that fat considered good fat at all?  Thanks. I am learning a lot from this community and thinking moving towards keto soon. 

I see that many recipes call for thighs with skin on. Most chicken thighs with skin are sold with bundles of fat hanging around. Do you trim that before you cook? Though the fat is good, looking at lumps of that kind of fat makes me sick. I can eat ghee and coconut butter etc.. but not his kind of fat. Is that fat considered good fat at all?  Thanks. I am learning a lot from this community and thinking moving towards keto soon. 

I'd say the quality of the meat makes a big difference, but that's just my opinion. If you're buying cheap chicken, I would definitely trim any excess fat hanging on. But overall to answer your question, animal fat is not unhealthy for you as long as you're keeping in mind your Whole30 meal serving sizes.

Archived