Getting "creamy" food with no dairy/no coconut

nutmegananne

Sometimes you can make a creamy feel with sweet potatoes or cauliflower that you put through a blender or food processor. For me, I don't like to make things that are reminiscent of the things I am trying to change about how I eat. Probably the only exception to that would possibly be a soup if I wanted a thicker feel to it. In that case, I would use either the sweet potatoes or cauliflower or another winter squash and I would use my immersion blender for a couple of seconds until I get a little thicker texture.

I think the Sunshine sauce from Well Fed has a creamy texture from the sunflower seed butter. Its great with veggies and meat. Not going to work for creamed spinach, but it's still a nice sauce. Sometimes I make it thicker with extra sunflower seeds or thinner with a little water. It blends up well in my VitaMix. I like a thinner version on a salad as my dressing.

Hollandaise sauce can also be made with clarified butter/ghee. That's good stuff. I just did a search and found this recipe on another Paleo forum that I might just have to try this week. It looks yummy and easy....

Two words: Blender Hollandaise

There are lots of recipes out there, here's one:

1/2 cup butter 3 egg yolks 1 Tbsp. lemon juice 1/2 tsp mustard powder and/or Dash of cayenne pepper

Place egg yolks in blender with the lemon juice, mustard and/or cayenne, turn blender on high speed for 5 seconds to blend. Melt butter in microwave or on stove until almost boiling. Turn blender back on gradually pour in butter in a drizzle. It will only take 20 or 30 seconds to come together.

I was getting a little burned out on tomato based sauces all the time, and we discovered mixing homemade mayo into them turned them into a nice "rosa" type sauce. I also have steamed cauliflower and then pureed it up with the mayo, and mixed it with spinach and garlic for a creamed spinach dish. Mixing mayo into sauces is a great way to use it up! We also mix it in with a chimchurri sauce and slather it on fish and roast it. ANOTHER mayo thing for a creamy texture is mashed sweet potato hummus with a little mayo mixed in to make it creamier feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived