2 Whole30s, very different results?

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

So my husband did a W30 about 2 years ago.  He is mid 30s, very muscular, very physical job.  But he likes beer and bagels and his mom's homemade desserts :)  So he is about 30 lbs overweight (215 on his broad, muscular (dreamy ;) ) frame - all abdominal).  When he did the W30 two years ago he did it solely for weight loss.  He could care less about NSV.  He didn't change anything but the food.  He was completely compliant but he did nothing to change sleep or stress or anything else.  He weighed himself pretty much every day for 30 days.  And he lost nearly 25 lbs in 30 days.  

This spring he decided to try another one to get to a lighter weight for his Spartan races.  He stuck with it for one week.  When he got on the scale at the end of week 1 he had not lost a pound.  In his first round he was down about 7 by the end of the first week.  

He is now trying again (to support me) but the progress is slow.  We just don't understand why.

His pre-W30 diets were/are exactly the same (he is always paleo "plus" - we eat the same paleo food he just puts his on a bun/pasta/rice and has a beer with it :) ).  His activity level for work and crossfit/running is exactly the same.  He is 1.5 years older but that is the only difference I can think of.  He started at the same exact weight he did the first time.  

I've read the pieces about why the second W30 can be tougher but I really don't understand why it doesn't work the second time.  I'm not exaggerating when I say he is eating the.same.exact.foods - same breakfast casserole, same sweet potato with broccoli and chicken for lunch, same coconut milk on blueberries, same snack of 2 HB eggs with a 1oz snack pack of almonds... 

So, any ideas?

• Moderators

I'm not motivated to troubleshoot your husband's situation. He is not doing a Whole30. He is doing a diet with a Whole30 menu. For that, he is pretty much on his own. It really is a big deal that ALL he wants is to lose weight and is weighing himself as he goes. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

He is one of the least stressed people I know.  And nothing makes him sleep like the W30 - its funny how it works - I have a harder time sleeping eating this way - he sleeps like a rock.  

Tom - you are right in that this isn't a true W30 for him.  When he did his first one and was so successful I thought maybe just maybe he would buy in to "it really is just healthier to eat this way" but when he went back to beer and gluten and sugar he was fine.  No mood problems, no GI problems, no sudden change in weight (unlike me who can't get my wedding ring off the next day) - all it ended up doing was reinforcing that when he eats a SAD he eats too much and gains weight.  Overall he totally came away with the feeling that eating paleo/W30 doesn't magically change anything systemically for him.  He truly believes that a paleo way of eating is *not* the best way of eating.  We have had this "discussion" more times than I can count.  But at the end of the day he has used this way of eating very successfully for weight loss and from a scientific perspective I don't understand how it can yield such different results.  But I guess there are variables that I can't truly assess involved.  

Archived