Whole30 in France

GBR

I have started the whole 30 15 days ago. Here is my experience so far

Day 1-2 : easy - no issue. I frequently try to eat healthy so not a big deal for me.

Day 3 : no issue to follow the rules but I am in a bad mood

Day 4 : bad mood again. I am sad. All I want is to be by myself. I have decided to stop my "7 minutes of exercise / a day". I am so lazy

Day 5: I am a little bit sick and still unhappy. I am hungry

Day 6: bad mood. Want to cry for no specific reason. I have eaten a lot of grapes and coco nuts flakes.

Day 7: bad mood. I'm trying to remind myself that this is related to the whole 30 to not become anxious. I am tired. I was at church this moring and almost fall asleep. That usually do not happen unless I have not slept all night, and it is not the case at all. I sleep 8 hours since the beginning of the diet. I had a 45 minutes nap. I have no patience with my kids. I had to apologized several times..

Day 8 : bad mood. I have just realized I was taken Omega 3 complement with soya in it... I will not start from the beginning but at the end I will see if I am ready for an additional week. Life is sad. I have no joy, I am very negative. I do not want to be in contact with people. Leave me alone.

Day 9 : I had to participate to this meeting at work with tones of M&Ms and Macarons in front of me. I managed to refuse each time someone insist for me to have "only one". Have you ever met someone able to eat only one M&Ms? Ridiculous. I had way too much coco nuts flakes after dinner.

Day 10 : I have finally decided to visit the forum. I should have done that before. I have got some very good advices : more water, more added fat, vegetables for breakfast and stop feeding the dragon with fruits and coco nuts flakes.

Day 11: I am following the advices. Still not happy.

Day 12: I have dreamed of a kebab sandwich. I have not had one in 15 years ! This is the last thing I would like to eat. Quick check at the book : incredible. That is exactly what the book says. On day 12. I am amazed.

Day 13 : I have tried my first Whole 30 earlier in the year and stopped it on day 13. I was invited to a friend's birthday for a week end and was so hungry. I had no healthy food with me... I am trying to not repeat this mistake this time. I have friends at home so I can choose the food. They will have ice cream, not me. 

Day 14 : mood is slightly better but I still have no patience with my kids... Or are they less nice than usually? 

Day 15 : it is today - I have decided to come back home for lunch. It is so much easier. I can eat and not be hungry whereas at work, if I do not want to take any risk, I always eat the same and it is not enough. I really hope the "tiger blood" is coming soon. I have no more cravings. It is easier since I have been careful with fruits and since I do not eat nuts. I was really feeding the dragon !

<< Day 15 <<

B : eggs, leeks, olive oil, very small bite of pear

L : lamb's lettuce, steak with coconut oil, leeks with olive oil and lemon

D : carrots, sweet potatoes & turnip soup with coconut milk / fresh mackerel with lemon & olive oil

No more craving. Not hungry between the meal. Not tired on the evening. I feel good ! I am still not very positive, do not want to laugh and spend time with people... Hope this will change soon. 

Proud of myself - I did half of it and went further than when I first tried the whole 30 - Yeah !

Time to sleep now !

<< Day 16 

I really feel good : not tired, always satiated, no craving, less temptations when I see cookies, chocolates, or croissant.

My sleep is just perfect : I am not exhausted when I go to bed and yet I manage to fall asleep very quickly until my alarm clock wakes me up the next morning.

Dandruff hair is really starting to decreased after having been worst in the first 2 weeks of the program. (I am not sure this is actually an english sentence!) My digestion is fine too. 

I was making my home made salad dressing for lunch when I decided to re-check the ingredients written behind the vinegar bottle... Oh no !!! Sulfites !!! I have been using sulfites almost everyday for 16 days...

=> Oh well, starting now I will be careful. And will see later if I do a whole 46 to correct this ... The only positive idea about it is to finish right on time to start 2016. Kind of fun to start 2016

I am still not very happy, enthusiast, willing to spend time with others... Less that usually at least. And I have a lack of motivation to go to work. I don't know if it is related to what I eat & don't eat. Hard to say at that point.

B: 3 eggs, cooked endives with butter, small bites of pear

L: carrots, sweet potatoes & turnip soup with coconut milk / mackerel / raw cauliflower with home made salad dressing (with sulfites  :angry: )

< Day 15

it is today - I have decided to come back home for lunch. It is so much easier. I can eat and not be hungry whereas at work, if I do not want to take any risk, I always eat the same and it is not enough. I really hope the "tiger blood" is coming soon. I have no more cravings. It is easier since I have been careful with fruits and since I do not eat nuts. I was really feeding the dragon !

D : carrots, sweet potatoes & turnip soup with coconut milk / fresh mackerel with lemon & olive oil

No more craving. Not hungry between the meal. Not tired on the evening. I feel good ! I am still not very positive, do not want to laugh and spend time with people... Hope this will change soon. Proud of myself - I did half of it and went further than when I first tried the whole 30 - Yeah ! 

<Day 14 : mood is slightly better but I still have no patience with my kids... Or are they less nice than usually? 

<Day 13 : I have tried my first Whole 30 earlier in the year and stopped it on day 13. I was invited to a friend's birthday for a week end and was so hungry. I had no healthy food with me... I am trying to not repeat this mistake this time. I have friends at home so I can choose the food. They will have ice cream, not me. 

< Day 12: I have dreamed of a kebab sandwich. I have not had one in 15 years ! This is the last thing I would like to eat. Quick check at the book : incredible. That is exactly what the book says. On day 12. I am amazed.

< Day 11: I am following the advices. Still not happy.

< Day 10 : I have finally decided to visit the forum. I should have done that before. I have got some very good advices : more water, more added fat, vegetables for breakfast and stop feeding the dragon with fruits and coco nuts flakes. The kind of psoriaris I always had in my hair is becoming worst, almost like eczema now ... 

< Day 9 : I had to participate to this meeting at work with tones of M&Ms and Macarons in front of me. I managed to refuse each time someone insist for me to have "only one". Have you ever met someone able to eat only one M&Ms? Ridiculous. I had way too much coco nuts flakes after dinner.

< Day 8 : bad mood. I have just realized I was taken Omega 3 complement with soya in it... I will not start from the beginning but at the end I will see if I am ready for an additional week. Life is sad. I have no joy, I am very negative. I do not want to be in contact with people. Leave me alone.

< Day 7: bad mood. I'm trying to remind myself that this is related to the whole 30 to not become anxious. I am tired. I was at church this moring and almost fall asleep. That usually do not happen unless I have not slept all night, and it is not the case at all. I sleep 8 hours since the beginning of the diet. I had a 45 minutes nap. I have no patience with my kids. I had to apologized several times.. I did check the book and it seems I am not the only one in that case around day 7 !

< Day 6: bad mood. Want to cry for no specific reason. I have eaten a lot of grapes and coco nuts flakes.

< Day 5: I am a little bit sick and still unhappy. I am hungry

< Day 4 : bad mood again. I am sad. All I want is to be by myself. I have decided to stop my "7 minutes of exercise / a day". I am so lazy

< Day 3 : no issue to follow the rules but I am in a bad mood

< Day 1-2 : easy - no issue. I frequently try to eat healthy so not a big deal for me.

< Day 17

Blood Tiger ! Yes ! I feel good, am positive and full of joy and energy. Hope it will not be just today. I am not hungry. My guest were having cake and ice cream, and it did not bother me not to have some. Incredible

B: 3 eggs, cooked cauliflower, carrots, turnips with clarified butter

L : cabbages and cucumber with olive oil / beef

D : lamb's lettuce with home made salad dressing / pumpkins, squash and potatoes with clarified butter/ lamb

< Day 16 

I really feel good : not tired, always satiated, no craving, less temptations when I see cookies, chocolates, or croissant.

My sleep is just perfect : I am not exhausted when I go to bed and yet I manage to fall asleep very quickly until my alarm clock wakes me up the next morning.

Dandruff hair is really starting to decreased after having been worst in the first 2 weeks of the program. (I am not sure this is actually an english sentence!) My digestion is fine too. 

I was making my home made salad dressing for lunch when I decided to re-check the ingredients written behind the vinegar bottle... Oh no !!! Sulfites !!! I have been using sulfites almost everyday for 16 days...

=> Oh well, starting now I will be careful. And will see later if I do a whole 46 to correct this ... The only positive idea about it is to finish right on time to start 2016. Kind of fun to start 2016

I am still not very happy, enthusiast, willing to spend time with others... Less that usually at least. And I have a lack of motivation to go to work. I don't know if it is related to what I eat & don't eat. Hard to say at that point.

B: 3 eggs, cooked endives with butter, small bites of pear

L: carrots, sweet potatoes & turnip soup with coconut milk / mackerel / raw cauliflower with home made salad dressing (with sulfites   :angry: )

D: lamb's lettuce with home made salad dressing / cooked cauliflower, carrots, turnips with clarified butter /beef/ / small bites of banana and grapes

< Day 15

it is today - I have decided to come back home for lunch. It is so much easier. I can eat and not be hungry whereas at work, if I do not want to take any risk, I always eat the same and it is not enough. I really hope the "tiger blood" is coming soon. I have no more cravings. It is easier since I have been careful with fruits and since I do not eat nuts. I was really feeding the dragon !

No more craving. Not hungry between the meal. Not tired on the evening. I feel good ! I am still not very positive, do not want to laugh and spend time with people... Hope this will change soon. Proud of myself - I did half of it and went further than when I first tried the whole 30 - Yeah ! 

<Day 14 : mood is slightly better but I still have no patience with my kids... Or are they less nice than usually? 

<Day 13 : I have tried my first Whole 30 earlier in the year and stopped it on day 13. I was invited to a friend's birthday for a week end and was so hungry. I had no healthy food with me... I am trying to not repeat this mistake this time. I have friends at home so I can choose the food. They will have ice cream, not me. 

< Day 12: I have dreamed of a kebab sandwich. I have not had one in 15 years ! This is the last thing I would like to eat. Quick check at the book : incredible. That is exactly what the book says. On day 12. I am amazed.

< Day 11: I am following the advices. Still not happy.

< Day 10 : I have finally decided to visit the forum. I should have done that before. I have got some very good advices : more water, more added fat, vegetables for breakfast and stop feeding the dragon with fruits and coco nuts flakes. The kind of psoriaris I always had in my hair is becoming worst, almost like eczema now ... 

< Day 9 : I had to participate to this meeting at work with tones of M&Ms and Macarons in front of me. I managed to refuse each time someone insist for me to have "only one". Have you ever met someone able to eat only one M&Ms? Ridiculous. I had way too much coco nuts flakes after dinner.

< Day 8 : bad mood. I have just realized I was taken Omega 3 complement with soya in it... I will not start from the beginning but at the end I will see if I am ready for an additional week. Life is sad. I have no joy, I am very negative. I do not want to be in contact with people. Leave me alone.

< Day 7: bad mood. I'm trying to remind myself that this is related to the whole 30 to not become anxious. I am tired. I was at church this moring and almost fall asleep. That usually do not happen unless I have not slept all night, and it is not the case at all. I sleep 8 hours since the beginning of the diet. I had a 45 minutes nap. I have no patience with my kids. I had to apologized several times.. I did check the book and it seems I am not the only one in that case around day 7 !

< Day 6: bad mood. Want to cry for no specific reason. I have eaten a lot of grapes and coco nuts flakes.

< Day 5: I am a little bit sick and still unhappy. I am hungry

< Day 4 : bad mood again. I am sad. All I want is to be by myself. I have decided to stop my "7 minutes of exercise / a day". I am so lazy

< Day 3 : no issue to follow the rules but I am in a bad mood

< Day 1-2 : easy - no issue. I frequently try to eat healthy so not a big deal for me.

Day 18

Feel so good. Very good mood. Positive. Very focused at work. It's been the second day now. I know what's tiger blood means ! I really hope this will last forever. My husband can tell the difference.

By the way, he really does not like when my feet are dry. He noticed yesterday they were a lot less dry than usually. Is it whole 30 related?

B : I had to be very early at work. When I get up I was not hungry and was not possible to find good food later. I have just skipped breakfast. Did not feel hungry. 

L : in a restaurant. I had some lettuce with olive oil and duck breast. Fat and good !

D : leftover from yesterday. Cucumber with home made mayo / pumpkins, squash and potatoes with clarified butter/ lamb

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a 3 days trip and will not be able to cook. Really hope I will find good food and that I will not have too much temptations. I really don't want to miss up everything and I know it is a lot harder when I am not home. Big challenge!

Day 19

Did not get enough sleep on the last 2 days because I went to bed too late... am a bit tired now.

B: avocados with home made mayo, 3 eggs

L : lettuce / roast pork with potatoes and carrots / apple

D : not very easy because we were at a restaurant. I had scallops and then roasted hake. I could not have vegetables with it because they all had cream. When others had dessert I had a deca.

Day 20

B : 3 eggs. I could not have anything else at the hotel (bread, orange juice, croissant... nothing compliant there)

L : oysters and prawn, aioli (made of olive oil) with raw cauliflower (once again, I did he best I could since I was eating outside)

D : we bought food to cook at the hotel - a big salad with all kinds of vegetables : lamb lettuce, red pepper, cauliflower, mushrooms, avocados, carrots, spring onions - olive oil / chicken breast with lemon and mushrooms

Day 21

B : I only had tea... All the other things were not compliant where we went... 

L : lettuce, beet and cooked cauliflower with olive oil / roasted veal with carrots, onions and cardoons / half of an apple

snack : some nuts and some coconut flakes

D : leaks with olive oil, tapenade, garlic cream (made of garlic and artichoke), steak, soup (carrots, turnip, leaks, potatoes)

I am proud of myself ! It was not easy because we went to those places where there are incredible cakes and pastry ! I made it and that is incredible.

Day 22

B : did not want to get up... I decided to skip breakfast to stay longer in my bed  :(

L : carrots and lettuce with olive oil / beef flank / 2 mandarins

D : endives salad with walnut and apple with homemade salad dressing / squash soup with coconut milk / 3 eggs / almond, hazelnut, coconut flakes

I was a bit hungry on the evening. 

Day 23

B : cooked endives and turnip with clarified butter / 3 eggs

L : fish and fennel - could not have more since I was in a restaurant...

Snack : was hungry at 5:00 p.m I had 3 eggs, an apple and some almonds ! That is a lot of eggs for today but better to eat eggs than pastry, bread or other non compliant food

D : soup with leak, turnip, carrots / lamb chop / Fennels with olive oil and garlic

Day 24, 25, 26

Very difficult days. The bad mood came back. I have been eating in a compliant way except sometimes too many nuts and fruits. (It is very hard to stop when I start. I should not start but sometimes I am hungry, or just need to eat.)

Well now there are 4 more days and I am disappointed. It also hard for me to explain to my husband and friends that I want to keep doing this. They see how sad I am and they just want me to stop ! "Why are you doing this?" "it is too extreme?"

One thing I can tell you for sure is that snacking on the nuts, fruits, and coconut will NOT do great things for your blood sugar and hence, your mood.

If you look back through this food log, you will see that when you had cut those ^ things out -- you were feeling much better!

It's a battle, and it's one I know well -- but I am here to tell you it can be conquered.  Make a choice each day to eat big, full template meals of protein + veggie + fat.  Make it a priority.  If you must eat between meals -- fine -- but make it a mini-meal of protein + veggie + fat.  This really is the key to success.

Day 27, 28, 29

I have been careful to avoid fruits, nuts, potatoes, sweet potatoes. I have eaten more fat. => I was feeling very good today -

My mood has been very weird during the whole 30 ! I have never been so depressed in my entire life. I was not expected that and was disappointed with the result. Today is giving me a little hope.

Tomorrow is my last day, but I think I will do the whole 30 longer to see if I manage to stay as positive as today. Beside it is not difficult for me (except if I have to go to the restaurant or if I have to explain to others why I am not trying, even a small little tiny piece of the big delicious cake that XYZ has made...)

My whole 30 is over !

I am proud of myself !

Few poor choices though :

- some medications with rice and soya : I have realized that after one week and stopped after that

- use of vinegar without knowing it contains sulfites : after ~20 days I have realised it and stopped.

- few lunch at restaurants. I have done my best but I could have asked more questions. (difficult when your colleagues are already thinking you have anormal food habits) - I hope my meats was not cooked with margarine or that there were no added sugar in the guacamole I had once. I will never know !

I do not remember what my weight was before starting the whole 30 so I can not say if I have lost weight. It was not my goal. I was more worried to loose weight. And I am happy to observe that if I did, it is not significative. It really means that when you give the right food to your body, it is able to adjust perfectly the level of body fat.

I was looking for improvement regarding my mood... I was depressed as I never been during most of the 30 days ! Yet it taught me a lot about myself. I really think I need very low carb to be in the state of having fat as fuel and that when I am in between carb/fat as fuel, I feel very bad. I need to confirm this and I will in the next day.

I close this log to open an new one in the section about reintroduction

• 2 years later...

Whole 30 - Number 2 !

I did my first whole 30 back in November 2015 - Almost 3 years later I am doing it again.

Day 1 = easy

Day 2 = feeling tired. Went to bed very early

Day 3 to 7 = lack of energy, sleepy and not easy to focus at work. Sometimes I am anxious, and globally I do not want to be around people... looks like what I have experienced during my first whole 30

Whole 30 - Round 2 ! (I did my first whole 30 back in November 2015 - Almost 3 years later I am doing it again)

Day 1 = easy.

Day 2 = feeling tired. Went to bed very early

Day 3 to 7 = lack of energy, sleepy and not easy to focus at work. Sometimes I am anxious, and globally I do not want to be around people... looks like what I have experienced during my first whole 30 ! I should also talk about positive things : I sleep well, get up easily and have a good digestion. Sleep/digestion have improved since day 1.

Day 8 : my mood is a lot better but I still do not have a lot of energy. Digestion is still very good. No craving. 

B : Sprouted seeds, gold of pleasure oil (2 Tbsp), 10 macadamia nuts, seaweeds (1Tbsp), 2 eggs, coco nut oil (2 Tbsp), black radish, chia seeds (1 Tbsp) with almond milk

L : Sprouted seeds, olive oil, salmon roes, blue berries, 5 almonds, chocolate (100% cocoa - no sugar)

D : Salad (Green salad, tomatoes, black radish, olives, green beans, 2 Tbsp of olive oil), maquerel, carrots, 2 Tbsp of coco nut oil, chia seeds (1 Tbsp) with almond milk, almond paste  

Day 9

Went to the restaurant yesterday and did very well! After dinner, everybody wanted to go for a drink. I was so happy to find this healthy cocktail with almond milk, fruits, green matcha and no sugar added.

My mood is a lot better, I sleep well, I have no craving, my digestion is just perfect.

I am doing better than my first W30. I am learning from errors: I am being very careful with fruit and nuts. because I think it feeds my dragon and prevents me from using fat for fuel.

I see the benefit of the W30 quicker than last time and this is probably related to the fact that I am frequently doing ketogenic diets. My body adapts quickly now. But on ketogenic diet, I eat dairies, which I am not doing with the W30. Seems like cutting dairy has been a very good think for my digestion! To be confirmed during the re-introduction phase in … 20 days !

Day 10-11-12

good energy on day 10, but tired on day 11 and 12. I did a nap yesterday and sleep a lot more than 10-20 minutes (this is what i do usually if i do a nap) and today really had to do a nap again. I am not sure how long it was but more than an hour for sure ! And my mood is not very good...

yesterday i went to a restaurant and had   Chicken with peach and fennels - others were eating bread and desserts. I did well without struggling at all. And i actually enjoyed my food a lot. 

Day 12 : i have just read again the W30 rules and found out that sprout grain (that i am having every day ) is not compliant !!! Oh no !!!  i will stop them going forward and if i am brave enough i will do a W42 to have 30 days fully compliant before reintroduction...

Day 13 : good energy, no cravings, good digestion and good sleep. What is new is satiety. And that is very nice to have !

Most of my days I am having 2 meals. I know it is not the best, but really, it is impossible for me to bring food at work (no fridge, no microwave) and I cannot find good places to have lunch around here. So I am having 2 big meals, breakfast and dinner. My days are very similar in term of eating choices. It is what is the most simple for me. Little by little I am trying to experiment new things. But I do not want to follow recipes because I have no time for that (all the available receipes for the W30 are with ingredients that I do know or cannot easily find in France. It would take a lot of time to understand, plan, buy, and cook. I like to cook without books. Following a receipes is not my style. I just read some sometimes for ideas but never follow exactly)

B : big salad : cucumber, algae, spices, gold of pleasure oil (2 Tbsp), macadamia nuts (10), chives / 3 eggs and coco nut oil (2 Tbsp) / Chia seeds (1,5 Tbsp), Almond puree (1 Tbsp), cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

D : tomatoes salad with olive oil (3 tbsp), olives, garlic, chives / chicken breast, coco nut oil (2 tbsp), mushrooms and fennels, spices / Chia seeds (1,5 Tbsp), Almond puree (1 Tbsp), cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

I drink a lot of water, more than 2L each day  (35 fl oz)

Pleasure oil and chia seeds brings me omega 3, so I like to have it everyday (even before W30)

Day 14 :

B : big salad : cucumber, algae, spices, gold of pleasure oil (2 Tbsp), macadamia nuts (10), chives / 3 eggs, coco nuts oil (2 Tbsp) / Chia seeds (1,5 Tbsp), Almond milk, Almond puree (1 Tbsp), cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

D : tomatoes salad with olive oil (3 tbsp), olives, garlic, chives / chorizo, cauliflower, olive oil (2 tbsp), gomasio / Almond puree (1 Tbsp), cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

I was hungry on my way back to work and did not feel the satiety right after dinner. I was so frustrated because my husband ate my chia seeds with almond milk (ha ha ! I should rejoice he likes healthy food... He did not know I had saved it for dinner)

Tomorrow is public holiday in France, so I will be able to fix a lunch and avoid being hungry like today.

HALF WAY !!!!

Day 15

B : big salad : cucumber, algae, spices, gold of pleasure oil (2 Tbsp), macadamia nuts (10), chives / 3 eggs, coco nuts oil (2 Tbsp) / Chia seeds (1,5 Tbsp), Almond milk, Almond puree (1 Tbsp), cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

L : zucchini tagliatelle, garlic, coco nut oil (2 Tbsp) and olive oil (2 Tbsp), tuna, / Chia seeds (1,5 Tbsp), Almond milk, Almond puree (1 Tbsp), blueberries, cinnamon and coco nut flake (2 tbsp)

D : we went to the restaurants : salmon, black redish, olive oil / steamed cod, tomatoes, spinach leaves, oignons

It is a lot easier now that at the begining of the programm. Still having a good sleep and a very good digestion. Feels better in my clothes. Mood is ok to super ok, depending on when. Engergy is ok

Tiger blood ? I do not really know. 

I hope I will be perseverant. I have done that several times in my life, and once I feel good, I start being less careful and soon I am back to the carb addiction, with the need to have always more. After a while, it leads to bad mood, anxiety, weight gain, etc. Until I start a new healthy circle. Will I finally manage to avoid being so extreme?

Day 16 :  I had some guests for dinner. I did not have a lot of time to prepare. 

First I decided to eat before to reduce temptation -> chia seeds, almond milk, cinamon and almond puree (knowing that I do not eat lunch on working days),

Then I decided to do a buffet with raw vegetables and home made mayo,  compliant ham

And I let my guests have beers, wine, juice, pasta salad and desert. I think no one really realized that I was not eating the same. I had no tempation.

Went to bed late (too late), and dreamt about ... eating non compliant food ! Exactly what the "W30 day to day" explained. This is amazing and happened to me on the exact same day during my laste W30, 3 years ago.

Archived