30 Days.... Already Over?

mkelley1010

I started my first Whole30 challenge on October 19th.

When I started it was less about losing weight and more about accomplishing something when I had never been able to make it all the way through a "clean eating" program before.

Week 1 was miserable. I was craving things I hadn't eaten in months (like Nutella). Going into the kitchen at work was awful and I never knew when I was going to have to literally talk myself out of grabbing a donut (no one would know right). But I didn't... Mind over matter and all that jazz.

The end of Week 2 was Halloween. The dreaded candy holiday. I didn't go out this year or go to any parties because I knew that I was going to be miserable not being able to drink and eat whatever deliciously sugary treats were available and I didn't want to set myself up for failure. Instead I spent the weekend at my mom's house and cooked meals for us both that were Whole30 compliant (I even got to try out my new veggie spiral-er) and of course... watched Hocus Pocus.

Weeks 3 and 4 I was in the zone. Meal prep on Sundays meant my weeks went much smoother. I formed the habit of going to bootcamp at 5:30 3-4 days a week. I started noticing that I was falling asleep quicker, had a better night sleep then almost popped out of bed when my alarm went off at 4am (as much as you can pop... I mean come on... 4 am allows for a little rolling out of bed right?).

Another nonscale victory: I went down at least 1 jean size. I'M STOKED. I won't be doing my measurements until Wednesday morning so I have no idea how much I actually lost or what my measurements are now but I don't care. Two things I've learned this challenge... I CAN be successful at something I put my mind to AND see results. The second and more important thing... NUMBERS DON'T DEFINE MY SUCCESS. I haven't looked at a scale or taken up a tape measure but my body feels better, I have more energy, my clothes are all too big now and I feel a sense of accomplishment that I've never once felt stepping on the scale.

So here I am... 2 days until I've hit my 30 day goal. So the question I've been getting the most is "So what are you going to do now?" My answer?.... absolutely NOTHING different. I'll try out yogurt again and probably add in my protein shake (because let's be honest... 30 days of eggs and salmon as my protein and I'm about sick of it). Other than that... adding sugar just doesn't seem worth it. I feel like my body went through hell to get rid of all the gunk in my system (trust me I felt it every day for those first 2 weeks especially) and I have to ask myself if it's worth having to do that all over again just so I can eat a donut once a week? HECK NO.

SO.... Cheers to completing something I set out to do... and for making a lifestyle change from which I have no desire to deviate again.

<3 Thanks for all the support!

Archived