Making Bone Broth - large batches.....

TJD

Hey all,

I just made my first batch of bone broth in my crock pot, but only yielded about 64 oz of broth.  Anyone here use a roaster oven or something similar that allowed them to make a larger batch of broth. Not really wanting to keep a large stock pot on my gas stove for 2 days.... what is the best way to produce large batches of bone broth?

thx

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought, in addition looking for larger quantity yields, you were looking for an alternative to keeping it on the stovetop for 2 days.

Hopefully someone else will respond with the answer you're seeking.

• Administrators

You can do it in a large pot in the oven, just google for time and temp. If it's a matter of not wanting to keep the oven or stove on for two days, you'd be looking at either a slow cooker (I have an absolutely enormous one, I could slow cook myself in it!) or cooking it while you're home and turning it off overnight and when you're not home.  I have never tried this but hear people speaking about it.  Just be very, VERY careful about food handling because heating and cooling it repeatedly is a recipe for food borne illness.

Large batches are the way to go.  If you're going to leave the stove on for 2 days (and that is the best way to get quality broth) might as well get the most bang for your buck.   We have a large stock pot like a soup kitchen.  I can freeze 1-2 cup individual servings for almost 40 days.   Take the indv. serving out of the freezer and defrost in a pan of boiling water.   Voila.   

It's good morning, noon or night.   Make the large stock pot but do it on a weekend when you're around to watch it.   Don't want to wander off to work with a burner going.   Taking it on and off the burner builds the wrong kind of bacteria.   Just do it in one fell schwoop and you'll have wonderful broth. 

• Moderators

You might prefer a perpetual broth in the slow cooker. 

Also, you can usually make two batches of broth from a set of bones if you do it the normal way. Just take everything out of the crockpot, put the bones back in, put in fresh veggies/herbs/spices, cover with water. It won't be quite as thick when it starts to gel (if it does gel, my chicken broth almost never does), and probably will have less fat in it, but it's still good for you. When I do this, I sometimes mix the two batches when I go to freeze it, if I'm going to freeze it.

Archived