Hello Whole30-ers!

I think we all know (or have discovered) that planning and preparation are keys to success with the Whole30 (as well as pretty much any dietary/nutrition/lifestyle overhaul).  Outside of meal planning and preparation (a topic in and of itself), what are other little tricks you've learned to use to help stick with and maintain (for those post-Whole30) good habits?  I feel like it's easiest in my own home, where I have the most control over the ingredients and preparation methods.  I feel like it's a bit harder at my office, where terrible packaged/processed snack foods abound, and hardest of all out at restaurants and friends' homes where the ingredients and food preparation are out of my hands and temptations abound (I'll make a separate "Steps to Success for Travel").

Here are some ideas I've used (yes, I'm fortunate that I have my own desk where I can stash stuff; and an office kitchen with a fridge and microwave).

- I brought my own blender to the office and I am allowed to store and use it in the shared office kitchen (this is a holdover from my smoothie days, but I discovered that you can quickly make a great soup using steamed vegetables - in the office microwave - plus coconut milk, hot water and seasonings).

- I brought my own toaster to the office and I am allowed to store and use it in the shared office kitchen (not that I've had much of anything to "toast" lately).

- I keep the following in my office fridge: a jar of compliant salsa (spices up any meal), lemon juice (for adding to hot or cold water or squeezing on food), olive oil (for drizzling on salads & vegetables), balsamic vinegar (for salads), canned coconut milk (for coffee or soup, as above, or spooning over pretty much anything!) - this saves the trouble of bringing these things in travel containers every day and risking spills in my ever-expanding lunch bag.  I might even bring in a bag of frozen shrimp and a bag of frozen vegetables to keep in the freezer (who else really uses that in the office anyway?)!  And when I make some homemade mayo, I will bring in a jar of that too (but with a special "hands off" label - I'm not sharing that with my office mates!).

- I keep the following in my office kitchen cupboards: cinnamon (for dusting on stuff), sea salt & black pepper shakers (for seasoning) - you could add bottles or jars of whatever your favourite seasonings/spices/herbs happen to be!  I also have access to microwave-safe dishes, a sharp knife, a cutting board and a can opener.

- I keep the following stashed in my desk: packets of coconut butter, canned tuna & chicken, canned olives, packets of raw or roasted nuts and/or dried fruit (no added sugar, no sulfites - check your labels!), and compliant Larabars (these are in decreasing order of preference.  I know Larabars are not ideal, but if they keep me out of the office box of Krispy Kreme donuts then they can help).  I've got pretty much everything I need to be a Whole30 MacGyver in the event of unexpected lunch meeting - complete with pizza or other catered no-no's - or a late night deadline that necessitates a mini-meal when I can't cook a full template meal.  I'd love to get my hands on some compliant Epic bars and Rx bars, and compliant jerky would also be an option.  Again, in no way are these meant to replace template meals but when you unexpectedly have to stay late to finish a project and the team orders in take-out, you now have a "safe" option.

- I also keep prinouts of my favourite Whole30 downloads at my desk for quick reference: the meal planning template to keep me on track with template meals; the shopping list for omnivores to remind me of the best choices; and the travel guide when I need to figure out a compliant snack.

What do YOU do?  Let me know if any of the tips above help you out!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Good list! Even in my pre-W30 days, I've been amazed at how few people utilize the office kitchen.

Couple additions:

+ crock pots aren't just for dinner! Prep the pot the night before, then plug it in when you get to work. Hot lunch will be waiting for you, and depending on the fridge situation you can leave the leftovers for the next day. The cooking aroma can sometimes bother coworkers, so it might be best for office harmony if you plug it in somewhere low-key.

+ Have a plan for freshening breath. I usually keep a toothbrush/paste with me. It's easy to accept an offered mint without thinking twice.

• 1 month later...

Love all these suggestions! I definitely need to stash some spices in my office. I also keep frozen Beetnik meals at work. They have 3 or 4 flavors that are Whole 30. I found them at my local coop, but they are also in HEB and Whole Foods.

I also keep a dozen eggs at work to make hard boiled eggs in the water boiler for tea!

Archived