Finally!!

Whole30Sue

My goodness. I think I am finally on my own bike. I am unsteady as can be, but I am on this sucker.

I finished a whole60 in May and have been failing miserably at finding my way ever since. I quit posting all the times I have started over again on my version of paleo. I would start again and then fail within a few days. (And I'm talking eating half a box of donuts kind of stuff.)

But now I think it might be going to stick a little longer. I have been at it for two weeks now, and feel good. SOMEHOW I have convinced my entire family to take a paleo adventure with me. I asked for six months, and they have all bought in. Wow. That is helping tremendously. I can throw away anything not compliant and have it out of my sight!

Sugar. I have learned since July that I have serious issues with sugar. I am managing fruit okay, but any typical sugary item does a number on me. I find myself no longer able to be in the moment and or able to make deliberate choices. I become re-aware weeks later and wonder what the heck just happened. Weeks of horrible uncontrollable eating just take over.

Coffee. I still feel much better caffeine free. At some point I am going to fully accept that my body cannot tolerate it. I am caffeine free again now. Headaches are gone.

I am so excited that my family is doing this with me. My husband has type II diabetes. He is very active and I think it is early enough that with him it can be reversed. When we met in college, he only drank Coke. That's it. Later he switched to Diet Dr. Pepper. I buy three 12-packs a week, and that doesn't include what he drinks at the office. WELL, he has switched to unsweetened iced tea. How about that!!! Awesomeness.

My oldest daughter has Spina Bifida, she is a paraplegic. She has been putting on weight since puberty. She is adjusting well and already seems to not need any snack between meals.

My thirteen year old is an athlete, she is a little slower in accepting. But she isn't complaining.

What I have learned so far is that no matter how many times I try and fail, I must keep trying.

Thanks for listening!!

Sounds like you're making incredible progress - I'm glad your family is (mostly) on board. Dealing with husbands with sugar addictions is definitely not easy...mine only does occasional sodas and the like but his meals at work (he does breakfast and lunch there) are cereal and maybe a fruit/diluted coconut milk smoothie for breakfast and typically a sandwich and chips or crackers for lunch. I've found that making him a half gallon of soup will replace at least 3 meals - he loved it when I made him gluten free broccoli cheddar from scratch...not W30 but measureably better than before! Baby steps...

Sounds like you're making incredible progress - I'm glad your family is (mostly) on board. Dealing with husbands with sugar addictions is definitely not easy...mine only does occasional sodas and the like but his meals at work (he does breakfast and lunch there) are cereal and maybe a fruit/diluted coconut milk smoothie for breakfast and typically a sandwich and chips or crackers for lunch. I've found that making him a half gallon of soup will replace at least 3 meals - he loved it when I made him gluten free broccoli cheddar from scratch...not W30 but measureably better than before! Baby steps...

Thanks for sharing that I am not alone in this with family. Right now, if I can keep us eating this way at home, I feel that is a big accomplishment. No more sugary cereal or ice cream after dinner has a big adjustment for them, but they are still trying. I have had to have several discussions reminding them why we are doing this.

When we came to this agreement I told them they could have thanksgiving and Christmas off. Might have been a mistake. We will see. I made myself some banana/pumpkin cookies (I normally do not paleo bake) that are sweetened with a few dates (and the banana). Determined to get through today and come out on the other side tomorrow still with a mission to change my family's health.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• 1 month later...

Archived