Thought Provoking Question

jsunnen

Yesterday was day 31. I was excited to not be governed by the "rules" I have followed the last 30 days. I met a friend at a local coffee joint, looking SO forward to a latte (unsweetened-I don't like my coffee sweet). Why then, did I order an Americano instead :). I was afraid.

He had read my recap of the Whole30 experience on facebook and we engaged in this conversation: Are we able to truly overcome our food "addictions", or is it more like alcohol addiction, where we simply need to not go "there"? My theory is that it depends on the person and how they are wired. I have an addictive personality-it can be food, drink, work, exercise, you name it I could find a way to overdo it. I feel that I need to be extremely careful as I make my reintro choices and will probably stay Whole30 a little longer. I think there are also people out there who manage riding their own bike with little trouble.

I'd be interested to know how others view this question. I have lots of friends interested after sharing my experience! I'm directing them all here, but also would like to have some talking points.

Thanks!

I love to bake and as long as I do not start eating any of it, I am fine. Also, I have completely given up the need to have a diet coke (or several) while I am cooking/baking. I used to love to do that, and probably ended up snacking while busy a lot more due to the addictiveness of it all.

I am definitely a "better not go there-not even a little" kind of person. But, I am happy I can still enjoy the activity of baking (or going out,etc) without the need to partake myself. Not sure if that exactly responds to what you brought up, but it is something I learned about myself this past month.

Archived