Willpower slip...

Inna

Not a proper slip in the terms of: drank a bottle of wine and ate a whole wheel of cheddar, but...

I train in martial arts (very sporadically lately, about once/twice a week only at the moment), but it is after work, about 7pm, and I have lunch about 11-12 usually, so I need a little support between lunch and training, as I have no chance to have dinner early. So last night I toasted some sunflower seeds and flaked almonds and mixed this with dried cranberries and golden raisins to have as a small 50g snack before training... and then proceeded to eat the whole lot there and then... I literally could not stop... now I am scared to toast more for the fear of eating it all again... I m on day 13 and have been doing reasonably well, so what is wrong with me?

Yep, I'd agree with Hannlib. 12-7 is too long a gap to go without food and also train. A mini meal would work as Hannlib has suggested, although personally I'd probably forget the veg & stick with a preWO of protein & fat an hour or so before you train.

Don't forget a few bites of protein postWO too - as soon as you are done, and before meal 3....

It was around about day 14 for me when I first started eating this way that I really felt the need to up the ante as far as pre & post WO meals were concerned.

You're hungry, because you eat lunch by 12, go training at 7pm and don't eat dinner till after.

I'd plan a mini meal of protein, veg and fat for about 4/5pm.

Yep, I'd agree with Hannlib. 12-7 is too long a gap to go without food and also train. A mini meal would work as Hannlib has suggested, although personally I'd probably forget the veg & stick with a preWO of protein & fat an hour or so before you train.

Don't forget a few bites of protein postWO too - as soon as you are done, and before meal 3....

It was around about day 14 for me when I first started eating this way that I really felt the need to up the ante as far as pre & post WO meals were concerned.

Thank you both for the replies! I think I confused the matter...  It made sense in my head! Yesterday was Sunday, my training was at 11.30am and I had a breakfast at 9am: I had an egg, two rashes of bacon, half an avocado with homemade mayo and some stir fried broccoli (personally I think it was a bit much because it nearly came back up a couple of times during training >< ) when I came back home about 2ish, I had a pumpkin soup with some chicken... and then started making the toasted nuts/seeds mixture for the week and that is when the incident took place... But I see your point during the week, I might just make a bigger lunch and divide it into 2, eat 1st part later (12ish) and then second part about 4, cant have more than some nuts after 4pm, it will come back up (its intense at times, people have been sick and people have fainted, not me... but people...)

Hey Inna - sometimes I can just be compulsive around food (like eat a tray of nuts and seeds) even if i'm not hungry. I have been going to OA meetings and this has helped me although if this was just a one time thing then that might not be a sensible option for you but just thought I would put it out there in case it is something you want to think about.

I think for anyone toasted nuts and dried fruit would awaken the sugar dragon so it might just have been this that took over and finished the tray?

....when I came back home about 2ish, I had a pumpkin soup with some chicken... 

Did you have a post WO meal?

If not, again, this would lead to hunger, especially if it's as intense as you say.

Don't underestimate your need for additional food on the days that you train, seriously.

Hey Inna - sometimes I can just be compulsive around food (like eat a tray of nuts and seeds) even if i'm not hungry. I have been going to OA meetings and this has helped me although if this was just a one time thing then that might not be a sensible option for you but just thought I would put it out there in case it is something you want to think about.

I think for anyone toasted nuts and dried fruit would awaken the sugar dragon so it might just have been this that took over and finished the tray?

OA meetings? 

I do have a slight food obsession, there are certain things that cannot be kept in the house as I will eat them, like cheese (not a problem at the moment obviously...)

The sugar dragon makes sense... there were cranberries and sultanas in the mix and I almost had an outer body experience: I know I should stop eating it, but nothing short of a tackle and pinning me to the floor could have stopped me... and my partner refuses to come between me and food again... 

Did you have a post WO meal?

If not, again, this would lead to hunger, especially if it's as intense as you say.

Don't underestimate your need for additional food on the days that you train, seriously.

I had the soup, it was a pumpkin soup with bacon and chicken, about a breast of chicken meat... I think it must have been the sugar in cranberries and raisins reading to WholeStanley's comment... and toasted sunflower seeds and almonds are very delicious... I have to work on my willpower, I seem to have some in terms of things I am not allowed, I had no slips so far, but where it is: I shouldnt, but... I can... that's where I am falling down..

I had the soup, it was a pumpkin soup with bacon and chicken, about a breast of chicken meat... I think it must have been the sugar in cranberries and raisins reading to WholeStanley's comment... and toasted sunflower seeds and almonds are very delicious... I have to work on my willpower, I seem to have some in terms of things I am not allowed, I had no slips so far, but where it is: I shouldnt, but... I can... that's where I am falling down..

The soup/chicken was your lunch though, no?

After an intense workout such as you describe your muscles are crying out for protein for growth & repair, and your glycogen stores are depleted - you need a postWO meal IN ADDITION to your lunch to aid recovery.

Yes, the fruit may have had the sugar dragon roaring, but had you eaten enough food in the first place you'd have been less likely to have succumbed to temptation - or you'd have at least been able to stop.... just a thought.

The soup/chicken was your lunch though, no?

After an intense workout such as you describe your muscles are crying out for protein for growth & repair, and your glycogen stores are depleted - you need a postWO meal IN ADDITION to your lunch to aid recovery.

Yes, the fruit may have had the sugar dragon roaring, but had you eaten enough food in the first place you'd have been less likely to have succumbed to temptation - or you'd have at least been able to stop.... just a thought.

Oh I see!! I did not realise it was in addition! My bad... Will plan better next time! (Wednesday... I hope!) Thank you!

It happened again... I had no training, I had a good breakfast (egg, half avocado, tomato, broccoli and banana), then a lunch of tin of tuna, a whole avocado, olives, cherry tomatoes and then for dinner I had chicken and broccoli stir fry with remains of pumpkin soup... thought I was safe to make a snack for Wednesday... turns out it was not safe... I have to re-think.. 

Inna- the whole idea of a snack made of dried fruit and nuts or seeds is the issue. Plan for a pre-workout of protein and fat like a hardboiled egg or two (add some mayo if you want to get fancy). I've never heard of anyone boiling a bunch of eggs and accidentally eating the whole lot. 

Making sure you are eating enough at meals (maybe even closer to the high-end of the template) should also help avoid these incidents.

What were you making for your snack for wednesday?

It was an almond/sunflower seed/cranberries/sultanas mix... which I am being told is a bad idea to begin with... back to drawing board!

Inna- the whole idea of a snack made of dried fruit and nuts or seeds is the issue. Plan for a pre-workout of protein and fat like a hardboiled egg or two (add some mayo if you want to get fancy). I've never heard of anyone boiling a bunch of eggs and accidentally eating the whole lot. 

Making sure you are eating enough at meals (maybe even closer to the high-end of the template) should also help avoid these incidents.

I see what you mean... I should really pack that in! Ha, I really do not see myself eating a whole bunch of eggs accidentally or on purpose... I will try that tomorrow and see how I go! I will leave the seeds for sprinkling in my soup or other main meal (only toast enough for the meal at the time, otherwise I will eat it all! As the past two days have shown...)

Thank you for  your help! :) x

Yeah pretty much what missmary said!

It took me a while to break the 'snack=treat' thinking, so I would think 'I deserve a treat' which means 'I deserve a snack!' (I still struggle with this but I'm getting there!)

If you deserve a treat, give yourself a treat! Go for a walk, put your favourite song on, run a bath, watch a movie go buy a new nail varnish, etc. This doesn't need food.

If you are hungry or there is a big gap between meals, then you don't need  snack, you need a mini-meal!

xx

• Administrators

It was an almond/sunflower seed/cranberries/sultanas mix... which I am being told is a bad idea to begin with... back to drawing board!

Hand to mouth, crunchy, sweet, munchy, salty goodness.  It's basically the "technically compliant" way to make Munchie Mix or Trail Mix or whatever.  Stay away.  Seriously.......far, far away.  Stop testing yourself, it's OK to not be able to control yourself around this sort of thing.  The answer though, is to not be around it.

Thank you all for feedback and advice! I am far clearer on the issue now! Its 5pm, I just had a hardboiled egg and some olives as I have training at 7pm, I have another hard boiled egg and some more olives for after training!

Incidentally, how long can you keep a hardboiled egg in the fridge for?

Thank you! xxx

Hmm, been half hour since I ate the egg and olives and I am having mild cramps... :( it surely cannot be eggs, but I checked the ingredient list of the olives again and it lists citric acid and lactic acid... I have a bad feeling about this...

Checked the list and both are acceptable under the programme... there is also red wine vinegar, but that is also acceptable, but obviously not acceptable by my damn digestive system... I am also now bloating like a baloon, I am going to be stuck to the ceiling by my belly if this continues... 

• Administrators

Thank you all for feedback and advice! I am far clearer on the issue now! Its 5pm, I just had a hardboiled egg and some olives as I have training at 7pm, I have another hard boiled egg and some more olives for after training!

Incidentally, how long can you keep a hardboiled egg in the fridge for?

Thank you! xxx

I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for about a week, unpeeled.

Note that we recommend a protein and a starchy veggie after workout but NO fat.  So the egg whites from your boiled eggs and some sweet potato or the like.

How did the cramps go? Some people do react to eggs but I'm guessing you have eaten them before and not had this problem?

For pre and post work out I sometimes got confused so I use to write it on big post its and leave it in my kitchen, once you get the hang of it it's not that tricky..

PREWORKOUT = fat and protein only (small)

POSTWORKOUT = protein and optional carb only

For postworkout you want to steer clear of proteins that have a higher fat content (so pork, salmon, eggs), and stick to your leaner proteins (chicken, tuna, egg whites)

How did the cramps go? Some people do react to eggs but I'm guessing you have eaten them before and not had this problem?

For pre and post work out I sometimes got confused so I use to write it on big post its and leave it in my kitchen, once you get the hang of it it's not that tricky..

PREWORKOUT = fat and protein only (small)

POSTWORKOUT = protein and optional carb only

For postworkout you want to steer clear of proteins that have a higher fat content (so pork, salmon, eggs), and stick to your leaner proteins (chicken, tuna, egg whites)

The bloating and the cramps died down by the time of the work out, didn't go away completely till after though... I am very confused on this issue and this whole Whole30 exercise is to help me understand my triggers better. I ate same thing after the work out (about 15 mins after) and did not have the same reaction... Maybe it was the speed at which I ate?

Thank you for the clarification on the pre-post workout, I will do a bit more research and plan my next week better, this week was tardy! I had an anxiety dream last night that I was doing shots and half way through them realised that shots were not compatible! Ha ha!

Archived