Gin's First Whole 30

ginsinnot

Busy day. In Cleveland visiting friends. Up super early, just time to cook up 2 eggs and coffee. Ate an apple and some nuts on the road. Brought lunch, chili and curry chicken salad (home made mayo, chicken breast, green onion, golden raisins just a few, almond slivers with yellow curry powder).

Dinner out, roughed it thru a ho hum salad with chicken breast and no dressing. Everyone else eating delish smelling bar food and beers:(

Stuck to sparkling water while we hit the downtown bars for the evening. Had skewer of shrimp with lemon juice. Now bed time.

No problems completing the Whole30 without cheats. Tonight proved my willpower, combined with healthy eating, can do anything:)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday Day 19: Didn't get enough sleep at our friend's home. One, not totally dark bedroom (which I've come to love having) in addition to an infant and 5 year old in the house makes for not enough sleep. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and coffee, no veggies. I forgot my spinach at home and didn't want to impose on someone cooking breakfast. Finished up the curry chicken salad with an apple for lunch there. Long drive home, had some cashews and water. Stopped around 7 to have dinner, not a lot of options in the area. Had an unseasoned steak with steamed broccoli. I'm not sure I'll be eating out much after the Whole30, with a few exceptions for really good restaurants. The food quality at most places is just overall disappointing once you clean up your eating.

I'm tired today. Haphazard morning, with pets to the vet. Had a harboiled egg before doing that, then when I got home a bowl of chili before heading to work. I'm sipping on my coffee with coconut milk and thinking I'll spend my lunch hour here at work napping.

I'm with you on eating out, if you want to clean sometimes you have to go so plain, what's the point in paying someone else to amke something you could so easily make at home?

Dh came up to bed befor eI was asleep and even though he used his book light to read the glow off it was driving me crazy! Now if the door is open a crack letting in light I get all headachey.

Since I had the late breakfast of chili at 11, didn't really eat lunch. Napped instead. At 4, had an apple with some hazelnut butter at my desk so that I can get home and make dinner without being starving. No idea what dinner will be. I'm pretty sure I need to get groceries.

Taco salad for dinner, or chipless nachos. Tried jicama, need to make guacamole I think. Could see adding it to chicken salad too.

While a downside is the large amounts of time cooking and cleaning up, a big benefit is my guy deciding to take on nightly kitchen clean up because he loves all the meals so much:)

Day 20 done!

Day 21

I was saying to my husband that I only have about 10 days left, and he said he'd gotten the impression I wasn't going to stop, that I was so happy with this lifestyle, that we'd just incorporate it on a full time basis. Which got me thinking....

I am very happy. The cooking and food prep is enjoyable and manageable. It really just makes me think of how my mom did things for our family as I was growing up (corn and potatos never counted as vegetables at dinner, they might be on the table, but we still had to have our salad and another "real" vegetable).

Using weekly delivery services that we have for organic fruits and veggies and eggs cuts down on my shopping time. I'm looking at using the US Wellness Meats and that will save me some time too. Our local big grocery store is branching out some in their meat department which will make things easier.

We're turning off the tv as soon as college football season is over (maybe sooner, we might just head to local sports bar to catch the big games). We went years before without any cable or tv, we're ready to again.

I don't want to be 90 years old and look back on a life that I watched others live on tv.

Yes, the holidays are coming which will likely mean a bit more sugar and alcohol. But so much less than in past years. And it will mean more, because I've thought about it and decided to enjoy it rather than just unconsciously stuffing my face.

I've learned a lot. I don't miss candy. I can't think of a single processed food that I miss. Yes, I plan to have a cupcake in the future, but only my sister's super delicious truly from scratch cupcakes. I may in the future enjoy a good chocolate chip cookie loaded up with pecans and cranberries, but I will have made that and then really enjoy that.

I don't miss bread or pasta or rice. I don't miss any cracker. The only chip I can say I'd eat is a corn chip occasionally with Mexican food. I don't miss pop at all. Or even juice. Though this time of year a glass of local cider sounds good.

I love eating this way. I love the way I feel.

Long post. Breakfast today: our take on a diner breakfast. Scrambled eggs with chili on top. Really yum. Black coffee today.

From yesterday: Lunch was ground beef from the nachos with arugula, cherry tomatos and garlic salsa; 1/4 cup raspberrries and strawberries with coconut butter. Dinner was a red curry pork loin with a ton of onions, done in the crock pot. Not my favorite. I added coconut milk to the red curry when I realized I couldn't make it my "usual way" (honey and soy sauce, have yet to buy coconut aminos but going to grab some this week). Hopefully my husband and sister will eat that up, I don't want it. Thought I was hungry last night still, but got distracted at a store with my guy for a few hours, then off to bed.

This morning, not very hungry. Ate only 1/2 of my 3 scrambled eggs with beef chili on top and some raspberries. I'm full, so I'm putting the eggs in the fridge and maybe that will be lunch.

My husband is sick (sore throat, headache, sniffles) and I've been sneezing up a storm so far this morning, ears feel off too. We were visiting friends with small children this past weekend so I'm sure germs galore. Oh well, if I'm going to get something, better this week than Halloween week. I'll be making chicken soup tonight. Fortunately, made stock this weekend from some chickens we ate last week.

I'm sick. Miserable cold sick.

Haven't eaten much today, didn't even finish breakfast (scrambled eggs with chili) at lunch. Had an apple at some point.

Dinner: sweet potato with lots of ghee and cinnamon and nutmeg, a little left over porkloin.

Going to have some cardamom tea. Sent my guy to get some cold medicine and tissues with lotion. And did make chicken soup with carrots, book choy, and lots of garlic and onions for tomorrow. That worked out well:) Ugh

Thanks Janette! Amazing how nice it is to get on here and feel supported.

Took 1 dose of cold medicine last night to be able to sleep. Went to bed all bundled up, even with my hoodie over the head! Stayed in bed almost 12 hours, called in to work today.

Breakfast: simple scrambled eggs, strawberries with some coconut butter and some weak coffee with coconut milk and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Plan: fuzzy socks, warm blankets, couch and old movies all day. My go to sick movies: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Mummy, Indiana Jones, any Muppet movie.

Thanks everyone. I think the day off and lots of sleep was just the thing.

Ate lightly today. Lunch was just some sweet potato with coconut butter. Dinner was 2 bowls of homemade chicken soup and an apple with cashew butter.

Back to work tomorrow.

Borrowing from Janette, I'll add what I'm

thankful for, helping to focus on the good things.

We've had some marital stress this week, which just makes me realize how amazing a man I have. And I'm thankful for chicken soup, it cures what ails you:)

Still having a runny nose but feeling MUCH better today. Which I'll credit to the Whole30, because I am on immune suppressors for my Crohns Disease, and usually colds/viruses hang out for longer than normal.

I learned that sweet potatos and chicken soup are delicious and effective sick/comfort foods. That's pretty awesome. I assure you, that was not my idea of comfort food 25 days ago.

Today is Day 24. Zippity do dah! Making a trip to Whole Foods tonight, time to stock up on some things. Planning on buying the fatty meats that we enjoy there, in huge quantities. Then we'll get our lean cuts of meat locally, where I won't be able get grass fed. One way I'm trying to balance our food costs. Though really, when you're not buying snacks and junk or pop, that's a heck of a savings!

Breakfast: scrambled eggs in Ghee with leftover taco meat.

Need to increase the green veg intake today, off the last few days with not feeling so well. Our fridge is full of greens: turnip greens, broccoli rabe, lettuce, spinach, and some kale too.

I think I'm going to pitch a lot of stuff that is in the fridge from before our Whole30. I didn't do it before, haven't been tempted by any of it. But I just don't want to see it in there anymore. Even some stuff I thought was sooo "good". Have you seen the ingredient list for Worcestershire sauce? Seriously? Why is that even in there?

Lunch: chicken soup, Strawberries, coconut butter and macadamia nuts

Dinner: plain rottisserie chicken from

whole foods, Catalan spinach and ginger apple yams. Only 2 sides at counter without canola oil, dairy, or sugar! But tasty.

Spent a small ransom on: 2 pork shoulders, 1 lamb roast pasture raised, 10 pounds of grass fed ground beef, 1 pound pork belly, 1 pound andouille sausage, 2 pastured roaster chickens, 6 pounds pastured chicken thighs. Whew!

Either jambalaya or carnitas tomorrow:) And roasting white turnips, I don't know that I've ever had a turnip before!

Breakfast was quick scrambled eggs, some spinach. Then Spa Day:)

Got home and made jambalaya. While that's simmering, an apple and some cashews with decaf coffee. Cold and rainy fall day. Thankful for the massage, facial and manicure with a great friend to start the day. Thankful now for warm cat on my lap, coffee, and college football.

Day 25 underway:)

Dinner was more jambalaya with turnip greens.

Today we made pork belly for the first time with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Tasty, sort of bacon meets ribs.

Off to a family party for the day. Had tacos, well, taco salad. My family is great, brother made ground beef with onions and garlic without the traditional family refried beans mixed in for me:) Made it thru dessert hour without a problem, though the homemade apple cake with whipped cream looked ridiculously good!

Finished off the jambalaya tonight for dinner. Going to have some raspberries with coconut butter for some fat to round things out.

I can't believe it's almost the end (not that the new habits end). Certainly didn't think it would be this easy or I would feel this good in such a short time. Today is/was day 26!

Didn't even have those raspberries with coconut butter last night. But probably should have, because when I woke up around 3 am (multiple reasons but wide awake, no good) I was kind of hungry!

Breakfast (thank goodness for my sister this morning, lifesaver as I was trying to catch some sleep I lost): omelette with red peppers, black coffee. Even though I woke up hungry, I couldn't finish my breakfast today. I'm contemplating if it's stress limiting my appetite, or just didn't need to eat it all.

Lunch: About 1/4 head of purple cabbage sauteed with 1 andouille sausage and 1/2 an apple. Super tasty. May be doing that quite a bit more in the future. Haven't quite finished it, but pretty full and it was a lot of food.

The Whole30 email today was about setting another goal to tackle after the Whole30, as it's Day 27.

I really worked on sleeping 8-9 hours during this Whole 30 but I'm going to continue to make that a priority.

I think the next piece of my Whole Healthy Life is a sustainable exercise routine again. I've taken it pretty easy so far during this Whole30, focusing on the food and sleep.

I'm easily bored, so I need/want a lot of variety in my fitness. I'm trying to think of some good functional goals. I've always wanted to be able to do a pull up, so I'm going to work on that. The last time I did a pull up was early grade school! My goals also include completing the 5K training program I'd started before.

A very rough framework going forward might look like: 3 days a week jogging with the 5K program, 2 days a week a fitness video with intervals like the 30 day shred to improve my strength but short enough to get in even when I'm busy, the other 2 days would be active like heavy whole house cleaning or yardwork (fall leaf season is here). I'd like to find a fun activity for my husband and I to do together this fall/winter, like a salsa dance class or maybe indoor rock climbing. And I'll be stretching every day for 15 minutes.

I did end up finishing the cabbage sausage apple mix for lunch. Felt like a bottomless pit day, just never quite felt full but also not really hungry.

Dinner was seasoned chicken thighs pan seared and broccoli rabe with garlic. Prepped squash too, but it had gone all woody. Had a bowl of strawberries and raspberries with just a few pieces of fresh pineapple.

Early bed time tonight, hope to sleep the night through.

I did sleep quite a bit better last night, but had to get up early today for an appointment. Even when I'm tired, since doing the W30, I'm not cranky or irritable (as far as I can tell).

Breakfast: Leftover omelette with peppers, salsa and guacamole. My sister said she'd tried guac for fat with her eggs and liked it. I was skeptical, but it was pretty good!

Lunch will be leftover chicken thighs, broccoli rabe and some leftover ginger apple yams. We're having a pizza lunch at work for boss's day. So I've brought my own delicious lunch.

Added a plain garden salad to lunch, those were some potent red onions! Felt like a piece of gum or a mint, settled for not talking to anyone the rest of the day!

Dinner: chorizo, an onion, red cabbage head, spinach. With a side of delicata squash.

That was super tasty. We found a meat supplier that we can order pork products that's certified humane. They use open pasture for their pigs, never crate them, allowed to root for food, and no antibiotics or hormones. And, their pork sausage and chorizo have no sugar or other icky stuff. I'm sooo excited. And we can have it delivered weekly with out veggie delivery!

We've found so many ways to make this workable long term. Yes, I spend more time cooking, but I spend less time shopping with deliveries. There's lots of clean up, but my husband loves the meals so much that he's taking on the nightly cleanup in general. I sleep more, but we watch less tv.

I love life. This is good.

Breakfast was the leftover chorizo cabbage mix, super tasty. And, of course, black coffee.

There are times lately when I seem full so I stop eating. But then in another hour or two, I'm genuinely hungry. So I guess I need to keep tweaking my amounts. But it's a good feeling to just stop eating when you're full and I feel like my sense of that is much better now.

I wondered if it was childhood training (clean up your plate, don't waste food especially in a big family with 10 kids).

But I think it was more (before W30) that I kept eating because something tasted good, like just keep shoveling in the crack. As though somehow my brain convinced me "who knows when your next meal will happen". Like I ever missed a meal!

It's Day 28! And almost lunch time..... Oh, it's actually day 29!

Archived