Breakfast Help/Ideas

raven526

Hi Everyone!!

I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 next Monday. I know I'll run into Christmas but I'm making all the pre-dinner snacks and sticking to meat and veggies and Christmas dinner so I can still stay compliant. 

I am starting my meal planning for week one and I need some ideas/suggestions. Unless when I get hungry drastically changes, I usually am not ready for breakfast before 9AM. I've been this way since at least freshman year of high school (I'm in my late 20's.) I get up for work around 7 and it takes my body awhile before I start to get hungry.

I usually leave my cereal or instant grits or yogurt at the office knowing that's what I'll eat for breakfast or I'll grab something from the cafe. During Whole30, I won't be eating any of those foods. And besides bringing tons of fruit and hard boiled eggs to work, I'm at a loss of what to eat for breakfast during the week.

What is everyone eating in the morning? How well do they transport? 

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Hi Raven & welcome to WHole30

First off since NOT being hungry when you waken is a big indicator that your hormones are out of whack you will really need to make the effort to eat within an hour of wakening to try & resolve that. It may be a struggle for you at first, so we'd suggest that you make up a template meal (of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups worth of veg, and a generous helping of fat), eat from around the plate ensuring you get a little of each food group, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able..... You'll soon see that appetite of yours changing & you'll genuinely look forward to breakfast.

Foods that are popular & portable for meal one would be blended vegetable soups with a side of meatballs or chicken drumsticks, egg/veg/ground beef frittata, egg/veg/ground meat muffins, meatloaf & roasted veg, burger patties with something like tomatoes & avocado..... basically anything you can eat for lunch or dinner can be eaten at breakfast too.

If you have issues with a sugar dragon hold back on the fruit & stick with proteins & fats (hard boiled eggs are good, as are olives, compliant jerky, tinned fish etc) for those times when you really can't hold out until the next meal - but in general snacking is discouraged so as to allow your digestive system some time to rest, and to allow your body to tap into your fat stores for fuel...

I hope this is of some help - anything else just ask!  :)

• 1 month later...

In a non-stick pan with a little olive or coconut oil, I saute an onion and white or sweet potato (with a lid on) set on med-low while I'm in the shower, toss in a huge bunch of kale while I'm doing makeup/getting dressed, then crack a couple eggs on top. It's enough for breakfast for two days, fills me up til lunchtime (with cereal, I used to be starving at 10:30, now I don't even notice the time!) and it's delicious. 

• 3 weeks later...

In a non-stick pan with a little olive or coconut oil, I saute an onion and white or sweet potato (with a lid on) set on med-low while I'm in the shower, toss in a huge bunch of kale while I'm doing makeup/getting dressed, then crack a couple eggs on top. It's enough for breakfast for two days, fills me up til lunchtime (with cereal, I used to be starving at 10:30, now I don't even notice the time!) and it's delicious. 

I'm doing something similar, but my single serving includes three eggs!  How is yours enough for two days, when a serving of eggs is supposed to be as much as you can hold in your hand?  I'm so scared I'm overeating!!

I'm doing something similar, but my single serving includes three eggs!  How is yours enough for two days, when a serving of eggs is supposed to be as much as you can hold in your hand?  I'm so scared I'm overeating!!

Your serving size is in line with the Whole30 recommendations.

Use satiety as your guide. The idea is to build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. If your satiety is lasting longer than that, cut back on the portions. If it's shorter than that, bump them up.

Archived