What about Salad Dressing?

drw7162

Several months ago I decided to ditch bottled salad dressings, because they always have bad oils, or sweetners, or something yucky in them. I started making homemade ones and they are SO MUCH BETTER TASTING! That is, of course, in addition to being much healthier. My whole family loves them!!

I just sort of read a bunch of recipes and come up with a formula that can be switched around depending on your mood, available ingredients, etc. I will either blend my ingredients in my magic bullet blender or use my stick immersion blender, but you could also just whisk them together by hand.

Basically, I use roughly 1/3 cup healthy fat (extra virgin olive oil is my usual) with 1/4 cup vinegar (there are lots of different types...read the labels to make sure they will fit Whole 30). Then I usually add 1 clove minced garlic. I salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, and then add whatever seasonings I want...italian seasoning for italian dressing, oregano and chil powder for mexican-type dressing, etc. Just play around with it and have fun! Some other ideas are using uncured, sugar-free bacon drippings instead of oil, and adding a little mustard to the mix. You can also sub lemon or lime juice for the vinegar. For an asian-themed dressing, add grated fresh ginger (or powdered ginger) and a little bit of almond butter. And try different vinegars - there are so many available!

That's a great start to a super dressing. Another idea if you want a thicker dressing is to add some home made mayo.

I made a dressing of raspberry balsamic vinegar and drizzled in extra virgin olive oil. It was a little thick.

The next day I added some mayo to it and it was great.

We like to make our own dressings, but we did find some sandwich spreads that work GREAT for lots of uses, including a fast salad dressing. They are by Mezzetta, I found them in Wal-Mart actually and they are in the same aisle as salad dressings and mayo. You have to be careful though, not ALL of them are whole30 safe, the two that we use are roasted bell pepper & chipolte, and mediterranean olive. There is also a kalamata olive one, and a chimichurri one that I believe are safe to use. We just take a spoon full and blend it up with some olive oil and fresh lemon and BOOM, instant salad dressing. It's also great mixed with some homemade mayo and slathered on lettuce to make wraps, and mixed with some zucchini noodles and grilled chicken for a "sauce"

I've always made my own dressing (and my mom did my whole life) just a simple vinaigrette with shallots and on plan mustard. Then add whatever oil (my new favorite is macadamia nut oil) and the on plan vinegar of choice, lemon or lime juice. If you put everything in an airtight jar, you can just shake it up before you dress your salads. You may never go back to bottled dressings. :)

• 3 years later...

Several months ago I decided to ditch bottled salad dressings, because they always have bad oils, or sweetners, or something yucky in them. I started making homemade ones and they are SO MUCH BETTER TASTING! That is, of course, in addition to being much healthier. My whole family loves them!!

I just sort of read a bunch of recipes and come up with a formula that can be switched around depending on your mood, available ingredients, etc. I will either blend my ingredients in my magic bullet blender or use my stick immersion blender, but you could also just whisk them together by hand.

Basically, I use roughly 1/3 cup healthy fat (extra virgin olive oil is my usual) with 1/4 cup vinegar (there are lots of different types...read the labels to make sure they will fit Whole 30). Then I usually add 1 clove minced garlic. I salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, and then add whatever seasonings I want...italian seasoning for italian dressing, oregano and chil powder for mexican-type dressing, etc. Just play around with it and have fun! Some other ideas are using uncured, sugar-free bacon drippings instead of oil, and adding a little mustard to the mix. You can also sub lemon or lime juice for the vinegar. For an asian-themed dressing, add grated fresh ginger (or powdered ginger) and a little bit of almond butter. And try different vinegars - there are so many available!

OMG Meg, this is awesome... please tell me you have figured out how to store that beautiful homemade O/V!?!!?!?!? I toto started making my own and haven't found a container yet that is leak proof, shakes safely and can pour without causing a mess... what do you use?

• 3 weeks later...

Most (if not all) of the Tessemae's dressings are acceptable :0)

the Tessemaes Italian dressing IS NOT compliant  Returning it tomorrow...i was under the impression all were.  Made both the raspberry vinaigrette and the balsamic from W30 Book and both were delicious...even better the next day.  If anyone is from MN, Punch Salad from Punch Pizza is compliment just order WITHOUT Parmesan cheese.  Called to verify balsamic vinaigrette is approved and it is!

Archived