Ali's Feel-Good, Gain Control, Marathon-training Whole 30

Alisonlcarver

Art, I agree with you of the many benefits of exercise.  My thoughts on why exercise may be futile are this: when carbs are eaten, insulin levels are increased, fat stores are locked away, and we do not burn fat.  The futile part that I am talking about here is when your exercise goal is to burn fat.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alison, I'm not convinced of the benefits of running for fat loss, either. Have you ever listened to any of Mark Sisson's stuff? Ever heard anyone talk about all of the emaciated-looking runners at the finish line with the big guts, still? This is due to cortisol. Running long distances, and for long amounts of time, is not something humans would just "do". I understand that you love it -- lots of folks apparently do -- but after your marathon, you may really look into weight training for long-term, sustainable fat loss.

I have read Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness book, but I didn't buy into it at the time.  I was a skeptic and still am...but I'm slowly changing my mind about cardio.  Understanding the role that carbs and insulin play in our biochemistry is helping.  I am so invested in this marathon training that I don't plan to quit now but I am definitely going to reevaluate my exercise program after the marathon.  Two more months of training before the big day and then...who knows?  :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

You and my husband both swallowed the same silly marathon pill... if you ever decide you want to be talked out of your marathon let me know... I've been through it all with him :)  Clearly I'm not persuasive though - he is still doing his :)

You and my husband both swallowed the same silly marathon pill... if you ever decide you want to be talked out of your marathon let me know... I've been through it all with him :)  Clearly I'm not persuasive though - he is still doing his :)

No way girl!  If for no other reason, I want to finish this for bragging rights!  B)

Alison, I'm not convinced of the benefits of running for fat loss, either. Have you ever listened to any of Mark Sisson's stuff? Ever heard anyone talk about all of the emaciated-looking runners at the finish line with the big guts, still? This is due to cortisol. Running long distances, and for long amounts of time, is not something humans would just "do". I understand that you love it -- lots of folks apparently do -- but after your marathon, you may really look into weight training for long-term, sustainable fat loss.

I'm with Brewer on this one. There are lots of lean runners with unhealthy body compositions. Sure, any exercise will eventually help you lose fat . . . depending on how and what you're eating but if you really want to change the composition of your body strength training can help you do that.

Today was a small experiment.  I have never tried MCT oil before this morning.  Apparently it helps with mental clarity.  I've heard it used in coffee before so I added JUST 1 TSP. to my morning cup of Crio Bru.  This was risky because I've also heard that MCT oil can make you poop your pants.  Well, I'm proud to say that I have not yet pooped my pants.  The day is young though.  I also have to say that it made my Crio Bru bitter.  I had one cup with the oil and then took another cup to work with me to sip on sans the MCT oil.  The second plain cup was NOT GOOD.  I think the oil left a bitter taste in my mouth.  This is the first time in a long time that I have not wanted to finish a cup of Crio Bru.  Hmmm, this could be a strategy to help me stop drinking Crio Bru.  I love the beverage but know it has some addictive properties and I have been contemplating giving this up for some time now.  Since it has left a bitter taste in my mouth today (literally), I think tomorrow would be a good day to stop drinking it.

Archived