Ali's Feel-Good, Gain Control, Marathon-training Whole 30

Alisonlcarver

I already posted my Day 5 Meal 1...M1 really worked for me. I was not too-full after the meal, but I was not still hungry. I had consistent energy and it kept me full for 6 hours. A breakfast that I will repeat in the future, for sure! Yum!

M2: 1 bubba burger sweet onion hamburger patty, yellow mustard, large salad with lots of veggies and a drizzle of olive oil with balsamic vinegar (same lunch as yesterday minus the walnuts since I had almond butter earlier), around 12pm

Pre-WO: 2 hard-boiled eggs, at 3pm

(Workout: 4 mile run, 1-hour Yoga Class)

Post-WO: Pecan Pie Larabar (yes I know they're probably the worst thing I can technically get away with eating on the Whole 30, but it was in my car and I had a few errands to run before going home. Next time, I will prepare better and pack a better post-WO carb.), at 5:30pm

M3: homemade chicken salad with veggies and homemade compliant ridiculously delicious mayonnaise, side salad with veggies and balsamic vinegar (no oil because the chicken salad has a LOT of fat in it), glass of crio Bru, 1 Cutie mandarin orange, at 7-7:30pm

Well, the picture of M3 is upside-down, but you get the idea...

post-73990-0-38204800-1449023795_thumb.j

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pre-WO meal of hard-boiled eggs today did not leave me with lots of energy for my run. I was not hypoglycemic feeling or hungry at all during my workout, but did not feel very energized.

On the other hand, last Friday I ate some chunks of turkey and 1/2 of a sweet potato before running 8.5 miles and felt energized during the run. I am going to experiment tomorrow with eating a small amount of protein and some starchy carbs before a workout, to determine if this helps my energy levels and performance.

On the other hand, last Friday I ate some chunks of turkey and 1/2 of a sweet potato before running 8.5 miles and felt energized during the run. I am going to experiment tomorrow with eating a small amount of protein and some starchy carbs before a workout, to determine if this helps my energy levels and performance.

The recommendation of no starchy carb (or any carb) right before a workout is a good recommendation. It will help you to become flexible in which kind of fuel your body burns during exercise, which, long term, will give you better steady energy. If you continue to feed your body carbs right before a workout you will not make the transition and you will miss out on some of the whole30 magic. Most people transition pretty quickly, but it does usually take more than one workout before they start feeling great.

The recommendation of no starchy carb (or any carb) right before a workout is a good recommendation. It will help you to become flexible in which kind of fuel your body burns during exercise, which, long term, will give you better steady energy. If you continue to feed your body carbs right before a workout you will not make the transition and you will miss out on some of the whole30 magic. Most people transition pretty quickly, but it does usually take more than one workout before they start feeling great.

I do feel like I am already on my way to becoming fat-adapted, since I can go 4-5 (and more) hours between M1 and M2 without getting hungry. I am still working on increasing my lunch portions so that I can make it from M2 to M3 without needing a mini meal. When you say 'make the transition' is this what you are meaning--being fat-adapted?

I just feel that carbs are necessary pre-WO for endurance training, like running 8+ miles and marathon training...where is my thinking flawed here?

I just feel that carbs are necessary pre-WO for endurance training, like running 8+ miles and marathon training...where is my thinking flawed here?

Carbs are not needed here. Instead, by giving your body carbs at this time, you encourage your body to use that easy source of energy instead of drawing on fat stores. Yes, by "make the transition" I mean being fat-adapted to the point that you can use fat for energy during your workout.

Do a search in the whole30 for athlete's forum and you will find many conversations about this topic. There is also a good discussion about this in the book It Starts with Food. 

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1/2 baked sweet potato with cinnamon, canned pace salsa, 1 T. ghee, crio Bru brewed cocoa, at 6am

post-73990-0-80709700-1449095535_thumb.j

M2: 1 bubba burger sweet onion burger patty, yellow mustard, large salad with lots of veggies, walnuts, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, at 12pm

Pre-WO: 2 hard-boiled eggs, at 3pm

(Run 5.75 miles)

Post-WO: 1/2 baked sweet potato with cinnamon, EPIC turkey/almond/cranberry bar, crio Bru brewed cocoa, at 5pm

M3...wait for it...

Hi Alison - I just started my third Whole 30 on 12/1, so I'll be following along. Looks you're doing great so far.

Thanks for your support and kind words! What are your non-scale goals? I am doing this Whole 30 for different reasons than my previous two, and I am already feeling great about what I am doing for myself! I feel so amazing already and it's only Day 6! I know you will too! :)

Day 7! I woke up this morning after sleeping well for about 8.5 hours. It was needed because I only slept 7 hours the night beforehand and was kind of sleepy yesterday. I am finding that not only is Diet Coke/caffeine, sugar, and eating too much bad for me (and makes me feel hungover and yucky the following day), but not getting enough sleep also makes me feel not as good. I know this is more of a 'duh' moment than an 'aha!' moment, but now that I am eating clean and realizing how amazing I can feel, I want to keep up that amazing feeling! So far, Day 5 was when I felt the most amazing. Day 6 was a little sleepy since I had only slept 7 hours, and today is a little achy due to crio Bru...I am finding out that drinking crio Bru is causing me to feel achy in my shoulders and neck. I really don't know why, but this has happened before even when not doing my Whole 30. It's the weirdest thing. I am going to lay off the beverage for a while, and focus more on water and herbal tea. I would rather feel amazing and excellent than drink a warm tasty beverage!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

This round of W30 is cleaner for me than other ones... no dried fruit, no nuts... which has opened me up to "feel" more... does that make sense?  Any way from time to time I wake up puffy - sometimes I know why: I binged the night before.  But even when I'm eating "clean" it still happens every once in a while and I couldn't figure out why.  Recently, on 3 separate nights with no new/different foods the day before, I slept poorly (dogs dancing in the hallway, husband snoring, cramping glut to be specific).  On each morning I woke up and my wedding ring wouldn't clear my knuckle (at baseline this ring will come off too easily) and my eyes were all puffy.  I don't think the lack of sleep made me puffy per se - but I do think that the lack of sleep prevented my body from doing *something* it should be doing overnight.  I don't know if it is hormonal or what but it is kinda crazy for me to see how big of a difference sleep can be.  

Day 7 (12/3):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, pace salsa, steamed broccoli, 1 banana, 1 packet of pecan/cashew butter, herbal tea, at 6am

post-73990-0-71055100-1449188209_thumb.j

I mean seriously, how amazing does that look?! This is my first time trying pecan butter and WOW! It's my favorite treat, a banana with nut butter. I love the single-serving packs so that I can keep things in moderation.

post-73990-0-29198000-1449188638_thumb.j

M2: 1 bubba burger sweet onion burger patty, yellow mustard, large salad with lots of veggies, 1/2 avocado, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, at 11-11:30am

S: 2 hard-boiled eggs, at 3:30pm (I was originally going to use this as a pre-WO snack, but decided to rest and take a nap instead. I will do today's training run tomorrow.)

M3: homemade chicken salad (all ingredients compliant using homemade mayo), 1/2 avocado filled with balsamic vinegar, 1/2 baked sweet potato with 1 tsp. ghee and cinnamon, 5 huge blackberries, at 7pm

post-73990-0-27887200-1449188421_thumb.j

I want 4 things this go round:

1. Feel good. I want to wake up feeling good and not in a food hangover. I want to wake up rested. I want to stay hydrated (sugary foods dehydrate be so bad!) I want to feel good physically and emotionally about what I am putting into my body.

2. Food freedom and a sense of control. I have no (emphasis needed--NOOOOO) self control when it comes to Diet Coke, anything with sugar, and peanut butter. I want to have control over what I eat, not the other way around.

3. Be healthy. I want to eat whole foods that make me more healthy, not processed convenient foods that lack nutrition and make me feel bad physically and mentally.

4. Fuel my workouts and marathon training. I run, bike, and do exercise classes, including step, strength, and yoga, about 5-6 times per week. I have raced a few half marathons, several 10k races, and several 5k races in the past and now it's time for the big mama. Marathon is in early March and I am following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training guide.

I know without a doubt that all of these goals will be accomplished through the Whole30. I am so excited to be starting another Whole 30 today!

I know I am quoting myself, but since I am at the end of what I consider a very successful first week of my Whole 30, I'd like to take a few minutes to do some self-evaluation based on my 4 initial goals.

1. Feel Good: This goal has definitely been met. I am putting real food into my body. I have eaten a varied amount of protein, vegetables, fruit, and healthy fat with a moderate amount of nuts. I feel physically good because the foods do not make me feel dehydrated, bloated, full/stretched, or make me have a hard time sleeping. The foods I am eating are providing me with proper nutrition so I feel good knowing that I am doing something healthy for myself. I feel good psychologically too because not once in the past week have I regretted or felt bad or ashamed of the foods I have eaten. I don't go to bed regretting and wake up the next morning feeling ashamed of a binge or bad choice. My food simply tastes good, provides me with nutrition, and has no hold over me. Which brings me to #2...

2. Food Freedom and a Sense of Self Control: This is a huge one. I have (now haD) the biggest sugar dragon known to roam the earth. I could not be trusted around anything with sugar in it. And to make matters worse, I'm a ridiculously amazing baker. And of course anytime I make something sweet, I've got to try it! It would be insane not to! Well, I will have you know that I have not baked any treats for these 7 days, not for me, not for my husband (poor thing), not for anybody. If I don't constantly have those foods around me, immersing myself in the culinary temptations and bombarding my senses with their seductive natures, then I wouldn't eat them! Simple as that! I have made things easier on myself by not looking at recipe blogs that I used to frequent, and even change the channel or mute the TV or radio when a commercial comes on for something that I would normally find craving-inducing. I have not once (not once!) this week had a craving, and I think I know why--I documented well and still remember how yucky I felt eating the foods that I used to eat. And I don't want to feel that way again! In this first week, I have gone from feeling bad, yucky, gross, bloated, out of control, sleep-deprived, cranky, blood sugars out of whack, craving sugar, etc. to feeling amazing, great, in control of my food choices, sleeping better, fat-adapted with excellent blood sugar regulation, with improved mood. Even though I have done two Whole 30's in the past, on day #5 of this Whole 30 I felt the best I have felt in a long time! I felt like I had the Tiger Blood, and I have never had that before. I just felt amazing! I still feel good now, but since I didn't sleep enough on day 5 night and started out the day achy from crio Bru this morning, I don't quite feel Tiger Blood-ish today. But I know I will get back to it, and I am looking forward to it!

3. Be Healthy: Eating real, whole, nutritious foods is healthy. Before this Whole 30, I was eating all kinds of chemical-enhanced foods, mostly including the 'healthy' kinds. I was not a junk food junkie or a fried food fiend, but even eating a bag of baked chips with a turkey and cheese sub sandwich is less healthy than how I am eating now. I know without a doubt that I am getting adequate nutrition right now.

4. Fuel my Workouts: I am still working on this, but I think things are getting better. I know that I should have some protein with fat pre-WO and some lean protein and carbs post-WO, and if I exercise long enough (like during my marathon training long runs), I should even plan to eat during my workouts. I do think I am doing ok here, but it's a process that I am still figuring out, and I am trying to listen to my body during this trial-and-error phase.

One thing that I remain concerned about is that although I am not counting calories, I am worried that I am eating too many calories and too much fat and that I will gain weight. This go round, I am doing the Whole 30 for health and good feelings, but my weight and size are always in the back of my mind. I will just try to focus on the healthy positive things that I have already gained from the Whole 30 because there are so many and I feel GREAT! I'm so glad I did this and didn't put it off any longer! I love feeling this great! :)

Alison, what is a "bubba burger sweet onion burger patty"? :-)

Bubba Burger is a brand of hamburger patty. It is found in the freezer section and is actually a pretty juicy piece of meat! I don't have a grill so I bake mine in the oven. It's a very easy and portable source of high-fat protein.

In the sweet onion version, the only ingredients are beef and onions. There are lots of varieties but I have not looked at all of the nutrition facts so check them before eating to make sure they are compliant.

https://bubbafoods.com/products/sweet-onion/

Bubba Burger is a brand of hamburger patty. It is found in the freezer section and is actually a pretty juicy piece of meat! I don't have a grill so I bake mine in the oven. It's a very easy and portable source of high-fat protein.

In the sweet onion version, the only ingredients are beef and onions. There are lots of varieties but I have not looked at all of the nutrition facts so check them before eating to make sure they are compliant.https://bubbafoods.com/products/sweet-onion/

Thanks!

Day 8 (12/4):

Just like on day 5, I woke up feeling AMAZING! How awesome is the Whole 30?! I don't feel deprived at all because the foods that I am CHOOSING not to eat are the foods that make me less healthy and make me feel bad. I GET to eat the yummy foods that make me feel good, improve my health, fuel my exercise performance, and help me control what I eat with no cravings! :)

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/2 avocado filled with dark cherry balsamic vinegar (no added sugars), 1 T. ghee, a few cups of crio Bru, at 6am

M2: homemade chicken salad, large salad with lots of veggies, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, at 12-12:30pm

Pre-WO: EPIC bacon (pork) bar with all ingredients compliant, at 3:30pm

(Exercise: 4-mile Run)

Post-WO: Cherry Pie Larabar, at 5:30pm

M3: Delivery from a Greek restaurant--about 1/2 of a Mixed Shawarma salad with chicken and beef; lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, grilled onions, and grilled peppers; and a tub of oil and vinegar dressing, 2 slices of cantaloupe and 2 slices of honeydew melon, herbal tea, at 7:30-8pm

Day 9 and woke up feeling awesome again! Gotta love a Saturday morning! I slept in (well, I tried to sleep in but woke up when my husband woke up to go to work and made lunch for him, telling myself that I would go back to sleep after he left for work, then ended up laying in bed resting for about an hour before I realized I was ready for the day), had an amazingly yummy breakfast, and plan to go on my long run shortly--9 miles today! About 1/3 of a full marathon! Yay energy! Yay feeling great! Yay Whole 30!

Day 9 (12/5):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1 tsp. ghee, steamed broccoli, pink sea salt, black pepper, Tabasco sauce, 1 banana, 1 packet of walnut/cashew butter, glass of unsweetened almond milk, 2 cups of crio Bru, at 7:30am

**No extra pre-WO meal**

(Run 9.7 miles at an 11 min./mile pace, outside with hills)

Post-WO: EPIC beef habanero & cherry bar, 1 banana, crio Bru, at 12pm

M2: leftover 1/2 mixed shawarma salad from last night (beef and chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and onions with 1 tub of oil and vinegar dressing), 1/2 avocado, my fill of homemade chicken salad, at 2pm

M3: 3 Applegate hot dogs, yellow mustard, zucchini/onion/grape tomatoes sautéed in coconut oil with salt/pepper/spices, 1/2 avocado filled with dark cherry balsamic vinegar, glass of unsweetened coconut milk (compliant and from the carton, not canned), at 7:30-8pm

Day 10: Today was the first day that I've had cravings and wanted to eat food when not actually hungry and I have thought of several reasons for this today.

#1: About a month ago I entered a cookie baking holiday competition. I have won county fair contests before. I'm a great baker. It's a gift and a curse. Now the cookies are due tomorrow for judging, so I baked them earlier today. Although I did not eat any or sample any batter, I still made them, saw them, smelled them, etc. That kind of temptation is tough. It's fine to be tempted if I don't surrender to the temptation every now and then, and I don't think I did anything wrong, but it does make it harder to resist off-plan foods when they are right in my face. Even though I know that sugar makes me feel bad, it's still hard to resist. I did it to myself, I know. Lesson learned: no baking. I am going to drop off my entry into the competition tomorrow, and be done with it. This is a hard time of the year for me to not bake, but the more I don't do it, the easier it gets.

#2: After my short bike ride, I had a closed handful of nuts. Sometimes nuts can lead to cravings for me, because it's like chowing down on a yummy handful of chips, only healthier in moderation. Well, although I only had the one closed handful of raw cashews it woke up my grazing dragon...not the same as a sugar dragon. A grazing dragon just wants to eat food, whatever is in the pantry or fridge. He's not picky. I did not give into any of these urges because I realized them as grazing urges, but it was still hard. Lesson learned: be careful with nuts (and nut butters)!

#3: The weekends lack the structure of the weekdays (thank goodness!) But, this can sometimes lead to difficulty when meal-planning, and it makes it easier for me to want to go to the kitchen and snack and think about food more than during the week when I am busy at work. I guess this leads to boredom, even though I have things to do. I don't know why, but the lack of structure of the weekends makes it easier for me to want to graze and increases my potential for cravings. Once again, I did not indulge in foods, realizing that I was craving, but it was hard. Lesson learned: make sure I acknowledge that I am craving and follow my list of distraction techniques when I am craving, and do not eat when I am craving!

It's really been a very good day! I had a great breakfast, went on a 30-minute crosstrain bike ride to recover from my long run yesterday, had a handful of nuts, and then had a good lunch later on. I did not give into my cravings or desires to graze. But man, is it hard sometimes!

Day 10 (12/6):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1 T. ghee, butternut squash roasted in coconut oil with salt, pepper, and cinnamon, strawberries and raspberries, 2 cups of crio Bru, at 7am

(Cross Train Day: 5 1/2 mile bike ride, about 33 minutes)

Post-WO: closed handful of raw cashews, herbal tea, at 10am

M2: 1 Aidell's chicken and apple sausage, 2 Applegate hot dogs, yellow mustard, bowlful of zucchini/onions/tomatoes sautéed in coconut oil with salt, pepper, and spices, at 12pm

(I started having cravings around noon, but realized that they were cravings so resisted eating more after lunch. I was full, and want to break the bad habit of eating out of boredom, habit, or any other reason besides hunger. It's a slippery slope...)

(Around 4pm I thought I might be hungry for a snack, then I gave myself the broiled fish, steamed broccoli test, and it turned out that nope, I'm not hungry after all. I decided to wait until dinner to eat, when hungry.)

S: 1 cup of crio Bru while I'm making dinner, at 5pm

M3: a little more than my fill of roasted spaghetti squash (olive oil brushed over squash prior to roasting) and homemade chili (made with ground beef, veggies, tomatoes, and spices), at 6:30pm

(Still craving and just wanting to eat food, even though I'm full, but I'm not giving in! Not even to an apple or a glass of almond milk! I've got to be strong and get through this!)

Archived