Ali's Feel-Good, Gain Control, Marathon-training Whole 30

Alisonlcarver

A thought I have had today about weight, measurements, and scale victories...

I do feel that the foods on the Whole 30 are the most nutritious options, and I feel that by living this lifestyle I can benefit in many ways including the following: feel great physically and psychologically, not regret or feel bad about my food choices, avoid binging/gorging/grazing, avoid habitual eating, avoid eating due to boredom or any other similar reason, have food freedom, be healthy, be happy, sleep well, have energy, avoid blood sugar fluctuations, not be dependent on snacks or mini meals just to make it to the next meal, be able to go for prolonged amounts of time without eating if I have to, have my workouts fueled, have a healthy GI tract, decrease or eliminate food cravings and bad food habits, be able to 'take a step back' and evaluate why I feel certain ways about foods based on my recent food choices/behaviors/moods/etc., and many other positives.

One concern that I remain to have is based on my history of having an unhealthy, disordered (but conventionally accepted) relationship with food, which involved measuring food, scrutinizing calories, stressing low fat, eating chemical-laden food as long as it fit the calorie allotment for the day, weighing myself, increasing exercise and decreasing calories to lose weight, etc.--you know the old story...

My concern is that by eating the Whole 30 way, I know that I am taking in more calories and fat than I used to, so I am still concerned that I am going to gain weight. But, I have been thinking and here is what I have concluded: since I am eating real, whole, healthy nutritious foods that promote health, happiness, and overall good feelings, whatever weight or other measurements my body naturally falls into will be the healthiest weight and size for me, and because I am eating to fuel my body and eating as many calories as my body needs to function and thrive, whatever weight and size I fall into will be naturally sustainable and maintainable by simply continuing to live the Whole 30 way. So, instead of stressing about how many calories I think I'm taking in (I am not actually counting) and whether I may be gaining or losing weight, I am going to work on being happy with my food choices, and be happy with whatever weight, size, and measurements my body naturally falls into by following this lifestyle. I'm letting my stresses go!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am SO, SO happy to see your most recent post, Alison!  I actually drafted a post encouraging you to see things this way (focus on optimal HEALTH, not weight), but it's stored on my work computer and I'm home sick today.  I might still post it, even though you're already there.  I can see the "control" mentality that is connected to disordered eating patterns (because I'm the same way - and society applauds us for being disordered in this way, don't they?  So many people will see you abstaining from certain foods and telling you that you're so "good" and how they wish they had your will power).  I've had to be very mindful throughout Whole30 that I'm NOT just trading one set of restrictions for another (because as you know, Whole30 is very restrictive in its food chocies vs. very restrictive in its fat/portion).

I hope we can both evolve to more freedom, so that we won't feel badly when the thirty days are done and we CHOOSE to eat something that is not compliant with the program.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

P.S. - I can also relate to your baking woes (what IS it with people with eating disorders being really, really good at baking?  A lot of popular food bloggers even have documented their own struggles with disordered eating!).  If you read my log, you will see that I have done several baking sessions throughout my Whole30.  I have to be very mindful about when I do the baking (proper, filling meal beforehand, calm state, not tired - I don't trust myself in a tired state around cookie dough!).  We had a baking auction at my office and my three entries garnered a total of $500.  I also spent yesterday preparing for a cookie exchange this coming Friday (except it's a cookie donation on my part - I'm not bringing anything home with me).  I made FOUR different flavours of incredible fudge, shortbread cookies and ginger molasses cookies.  I will definitely be doing some paleo baking for the holidays.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My concern is that by eating the Whole 30 way, I know that I am taking in more calories and fat than I used to, so I am still concerned that I am going to gain weight. But, I have been thinking and here is what I have concluded: since I am eating real, whole, healthy nutritious foods that promote health, happiness, and overall good feelings, whatever weight or other measurements my body naturally falls into will be the healthiest weight and size for me, and because I am eating to fuel my body and eating as many calories as my body needs to function and thrive, whatever weight and size I fall into will be naturally sustainable and maintainable by simply continuing to live the Whole 30 way. So, instead of stressing about how many calories I think I'm taking in (I am not actually counting) and whether I may be gaining or losing weight, I am going to work on being happy with my food choices, and be happy with whatever weight, size, and measurements my body naturally falls into by following this lifestyle. I'm letting my stresses go!

I just wanted to add my experiences here.  I've been paleo for about 5 years.  I have stretches where I eat nothing but cheese and fruit (it is grassfed, raw cheese...) and stretches where I am totally off the wagon.  No matter how much or how untemplate like my paleo choices are - I don't gain weight.  When I eat processed foods, I do.  

Your body is meant to eat REAL food.  Unless you are eating way past the point of satiety each day I just don't think you'll gain weight eating this way.  Eating real food makes your body do the job of what you were doing before - deciding the right number of calories to eat.  When you don't eat foods that are engineered to make you want more of them (chips, cakes, cookies) I think you naturally eat at a level that is right for you.  

GGG brings up a good point about trading W30 restrictions for other restrictions though... and this gets tough after the 30 days are up.  Tom once had a post about how he deals with this.  He fills his plate with meat and veggies at every meal.  If there is some butter on those veggies or a questionable oil at a restaurant he doesn't worry about it.  As long as you always choose meat, vegetables and some fruit and eat that and THEN make the choice about wine, cookies, cakes, etc you'll probably end up ok.  Its when you make your decisions about those items before filling yourself up with what is best for you that things tend to go poorly.  

Day 11: Well, I am more than 1/3 into my Whole 30!  One thing that I continue to struggle with is my Crio Bru habit.  I have noticed a few nasty side effects from drinking this beverage, including dependence (even though it is very low caffeine, it does contain a stimulant, and I think my body is becoming dependent on the stimulant for energy), lack of energy when not drinking, a more difficult time waking up and starting my day when not drinking, achiness in my shoulders and neck, and headaches.  I guess I have been drinking Crio Bru 2-3 times a day, especially on the weekends when it's nice to drink something warm on these chilly December days.  I can certainly cut back to 1 cup a day, but have decided to cut it out cold turkey and see how my body responds.  I know that I can feel better than I am feeling today (I'm sluggish, groggy, and feel slightly hungover/dehydrated--and it's more than just a case of the Mondays!)  The foods that I ate yesterday were all Whole 30 compliant and although I did have cravings, I did not give in...this leads me to believe that my less-than-great feelings today are attributed to Crio Bru. 

For the remainder of my Whole 30, I will not drink Crio Bru.  I document everything I eat and drink in here, so this post will help keep me honest.  Now I'll raise my glass (of herbal tea!) to not drinking Crio Bru for the remainder of this Whole 30!  Here's to feeling amazing and getting that Tiger Blood feeling back!  :)

Day 11 (12/7):

(Scheduled Rest Day! Gotta love 'em!)

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1 tsp. ghee, roasted butternut squash (roasted in coconut oil), 1/2 avocado, herbal tea, at 6am--I was very full after breakfast. I am still figuring out how to eat to satiety.

M2: 3 Applegate hot dogs, yellow mustard, large salad with lots of veggies, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar, at 12-12:30pm

M3: my fill of homemade chicken salad (made a fresh batch today, yum!), raw celery and cucumbers with deli salsa (all ingredients compliant), herbal tea, at 7pm--I was very full after dinner too! I need some advice on eating to satiety...

(Even though I was full, I still had some cravings after dinner, but they were much better than yesterday. I think the avoidance of crio Bru, nuts, and fruits helped.)

I feel good psychologically too because not once in the past week have I regretted or felt bad or ashamed of the foods I have eaten. I don't go to bed regretting and wake up the next morning feeling ashamed of a binge or bad choice. My food simply tastes good, provides me with nutrition, and has no hold over me. 

This! I absolutely agree! It has felt so so so good to wake up feeling pleased and even proud of the choices I'm making for my body rather than regret and shame. 

You are rocking this Whole 30, Alison. Great job!

Day 12 (12/8):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, roasted butternut squash (roasted in coconut oil), 1 T. ghee, 1 banana, 1 T. organic sunflower nut butter (no sugar on ingredients label), herbal tea, at 6am

M2: homemade chicken salad, baggie of raw celery, 1 medium-sized organic Granny Smith Apple, at 11-11:30am

(30-minute Nap after work! What a luxury! I'm fairly certain I am still getting used to life without some sort of stimulant...ahem, crio Bru. I thought it would be better than caffeinated drinks and it is, but since it still has this withdrawal effect on me, it's still off for the remainder of the Whole 30. Not worth it right now.)

Pre-WO: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, at 5pm (I was planning on only eating the eggs but was HUNGRY!)

(Exercise: Run 3.5 miles)

M3: zucchini sautéed in coconut oil with salt and pepper topped with homemade chili (ground beef, veggies, tomatoes, spices), glass of unsweetened almond milk, at 7pm

Herbal tea following dinner.

Day 13 (12/9):

Today is a 12-hour workday (usually I work 8), so I decided to exercise before work. I went to bed at 8:45 last night, to ensure I would get my 8 hours. :)

Pre-WO snack: 2 hard-boiled eggs, at 5am

(Exercise: Run 5 1/2 miles)

M1: homemade chicken salad, roasted butternut squash (roasted in coconut oil with salt, pepper, and cinnamon), 1/4 orange, at 7-8am

M2: roasted spaghetti squash (brushed with olive oil, then roasted), topped with homemade chili (meat, veggies, tomatoes, and spices), at 12-12:30pm

Snack: Apple Pie Larabar, at 3:30pm

I am SO glad I went to the gym before work, because after working a busy 12-hour shift I was not feeling going to the gym! All I wanted to do after working was eat dinner and go to sleep!

M3: homemade chicken salad, raw celery, fresh salsa, 1/2 medium organic Granny Smith Apple, at 8pm

Alison, you sound as though you're really happy and doing really well.  Not just with the "food" aspect, but other elements of the Whole9 (sleep), as well!  Kudos to you! 

I know you're already making huge progress on this front, but now that I'm back to work I thought I'd share the post I drafted:

[quote name=Alisonlcarver' date=' on 04 Dec 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

I know I am quoting myself, but since I am at the end of what I consider a very successful first week of my Whole 30, I'd like to take a few minutes to do some self-evaluation based on my 4 initial goals.

1. Feel Good: ...I feel good psychologically too because not once in the past week have I regretted or felt bad or ashamed of the foods I have eaten. I don't go to bed regretting and wake up the next morning feeling ashamed of a binge or bad choice. My food simply tastes good, provides me with nutrition, and has no hold over me. Which brings me to #2...

2. Food Freedom and a Sense of Self Control: This is a huge one. I have (now haD) the biggest sugar dragon known to roam the earth. I could not be trusted around anything with sugar in it....

3. Be Healthy: Eating real, whole, nutritious foods is healthy. Before this Whole 30, I was eating all kinds of chemical-enhanced foods, mostly including the 'healthy' kinds. I was not a junk food junkie or a fried food fiend, but even eating a bag of baked chips with a turkey and cheese sub sandwich is less healthy than how I am eating now. I know without a doubt that I am getting adequate nutrition right now.

4. Fuel my Workouts: I am still working on this, but I think things are getting better. I know that I should have some protein with fat pre-WO and some lean protein and carbs post-WO, and if I exercise long enough (like during my marathon training long runs), I should even plan to eat during my workouts. I do think I am doing ok here, but it's a process that I am still figuring out, and I am trying to listen to my body during this trial-and-error phase.

One thing that I remain concerned about is that although I am not counting calories, I am worried that I am eating too many calories and too much fat and that I will gain weight. This go round, I am doing the Whole 30 for health and good feelings, but my weight and size are always in the back of my mind. I will just try to focus on the healthy positive things that I have already gained from the Whole 30 because there are so many and I feel GREAT! I'm so glad I did this and didn't put it off any longer! I love feeling this great! [/quote]

Hey Alison,

You have had a LOT of amazing victories in just one short week, and good for you to take the time to document them here. I do hope that the Whole30 program and community will also teach you that you never need to feel ashamed or (psychologically) bad or regretful of ANYTHING that you eat (in any quantity), even if it is NOT Whole30-compliant. Or even "healthy." This program wants to improve your emotional relationship with food, not leave you in fear of it. So that if and when you have a bag of potato chips or a donut (or 3), you don't feel like you need to be ashamed, or that you are a failure, or whatever other negative emotional response you might have previously had. Sometimes these types of indulgences will be worth it, and you, as a mature, confident adult, MADE the choice. Sometimes they won't be, but no need to feel ashamed or guilty. Add the information to your "tool kit" and carry on with a style of eating that makes you feel good. No need to "add insult to injury" by feeling badly emotionally about foods that make you feel bad physically!

I hope that more than CONTROL, you learn to TRUST yourself. Trust that you can properly nourish your body. Trust that you can be around certain "trigger" foods and you are not hopeless or out of control.

You might gain weight. You might lose weight. I hope by the end of the Whole30, you will be okay with the outcome and your weight will matter much less than it does now (trust me - I'm in the same boat and I share the same fears, but I'm working on them).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Day 14 and I'm afraid I might be coming down with a cold. It's going around at work. I feel okay, but a little foggy, tired (even after 8 1/2 hours of sleep), and have a slightly scratchy throat. I'm still going to continue with the Whole 30, but might make a large part of my dinner tonight warm chicken broth. I need something to soothe my throat. :-/

I'm so glad we can post pictures to threads again, because I've got to share this! I found this beautiful package of Whole30-compliant bacon in the store today! Ingredients: pork, sea salt, spices (black pepper, fenugreek, nutmeg, white pepper, mace, allspice.)

Sounds like a Christmas-y bacon with the nutmeg, mace, and allspice!

post-73990-0-00343800-1449783386_thumb.j

Yay!  So nice to see your smiling face.  And BACON.

I actually don't now how my profile pic got set - internet voodoo grabbed it off another one of my sites.  But I'm okay with that.

Cheers! 

-Lauren (GGG)

P.S. - Hope you don't get a full-blown cold.  I've been more sick than usual while doing this Whole30 (not that I think it's related; just bad timing) and it does stink.  But I've been in a relatively good mood about it!  Definitely try to make some bone broth.  I like to steam a bunch of veggies and then purée them while they're still hot with some coconut milk to make a warm, thick and creamy vegetable soup.

GGG, thanks! I took that picture on Saturday right before my 9-mile run. I don't think I would have looked as put-together afterwards! :)

P.S. - Hope you don't get a full-blown cold.  I've been more sick than usual while doing this Whole30 (not that I think it's related; just bad timing) and it does stink.  But I've been in a relatively good mood about it!  Definitely try to make some bone broth.  I like to steam a bunch of veggies and then purée them while they're still hot with some coconut milk to make a warm, thick and creamy vegetable soup.

Great idea, thanks! That sounds yummy! What kind of veggies do you use? I am imagining carrots, broccoli, squash, or pumpkin. A warm, creamy pumpkin or butternut squash soup would be nice! Add some cinnamon and nutmeg too! Maybe some roasted pumpkin seeds as a sprinkled topping?

I totally need to make a batch of bone broth. I think I am going to try nomnompaleo's recipe, found here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

I have made a handful of recipes from nomnompaleo, and they have all turned out amazing. Michelle Tam knows how to make delicious paleo foods!

I'm sorry you've been sick recently. Being sick is no fun, especially when you're trying to feel great--Tiger Blood great! I am actually not feeling like I have a full-blown cold, so maybe I'm not getting sick after all. Or maybe the Whole 30 foods are working so well by repairing my gut that my body is actually able to defend itself from viruses like the common cold! :)

Day 14 (12/10):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1 T. ghee, salsa, zucchini sautéed in coconut oil with salt and peppers, 1/2 avocado filled with dark cherry balsamic vinegar, herbal tea, at 6am (the following picture minus the applesauce--I was full, so saved the fruit for M2.)

post-73990-0-10804400-1449793461_thumb.j

M2: roasted spaghetti squash (brushed with olive oil, then roasted), topped with homemade chili (meat, veggies, tomatoes, and spices), 1 pouch of organic applesauce with cinnamon (all ingredients compliant), at 11:30am

Snack/pre-WO: 2 hard-boiled eggs, raw celery with 1/2 of a 16oz. jar of salsa (all ingredients compliant), at 4-4:30pm

(I was hungry at 4pm today and would have needed a snack regardless of exercise, so I know that my M2 was not enough. I know this hunger was more than a craving. I abstained from the nuts, fruits, and larabars though, and tried to focus on protein/fat and veggies. And man, the salsa was so good! Garlic cilantro organic salsa from Muir Glen--yum! )

(Exercise: Run 3.25 miles)

M3: 1 Aidell's chicken and apple sausage, 1 large baked sweet potato with 1 T. ghee and cinnamon, 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut cream, at 6:30-7p

I want 4 things this go round:

1. Feel good. I want to wake up feeling good and not in a food hangover. I want to wake up rested. I want to stay hydrated (sugary foods dehydrate be so bad!) I want to feel good physically and emotionally about what I am putting into my body.

2. Food freedom and a sense of control. I have no (emphasis needed--NOOOOO) self control when it comes to Diet Coke, anything with sugar, and peanut butter. I want to have control over what I eat, not the other way around.

3. Be healthy. I want to eat whole foods that make me more healthy, not processed convenient foods that lack nutrition and make me feel bad physically and mentally.

4. Fuel my workouts and marathon training. I run, bike, and do exercise classes, including step, strength, and yoga, about 5-6 times per week. I have raced a few half marathons, several 10k races, and several 5k races in the past and now it's time for the big mama. Marathon is in early March and I am following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training guide.

I know without a doubt that all of these goals will be accomplished through the Whole30. I am so excited to be starting another Whole 30 today!

Here I am at the end of Week #2, reviewing my progress once again. My initial goals are listed above, and I feel like I have met them every single day I have been doing Whole 30.

1. To say I feel good is an understatement. I feel amazing! I feel alive, energetic, present, aware, and just overall great! Even though I have done a few Whole 30's in the past, I never felt this good. It is true that Whole 30's build on each other. I wake up refreshed after sleeping so well and have a positive outlook and attitude about the day. I am cheerier and kinder to others (not to mention myself!) One of my co-workers even mentioned this week that I was glowing at our morning meeting. She said I was full of energy and it was obvious that the Whole 30 was working for me.

2. I have absolute control (without becoming obsessive or disordered) over what I eat. I did have cravings this past week, but know what some of my craving-inducing triggers are now so will avoid them if I can, and I have learned valuable coping mechanisms when I am craving. I find it easy and pretty much brainless to do without something that would have previously called to me, like the holiday goodies ever-present in our nurse break room at work. (Seriously, there is ALWAYS food around at work! Sheesh!) I have total control, and I am so glad it is that way and not the other way around.

3. The foods that I am eating on the Whole 30 are without a doubt and undeniably healthy foods. That's pretty much it.

4. With the help of the Whole 30 moderators, as well as some personal trial-and-error I am learning how to fuel my workouts and train for my marathon. I have learned that protein pre-workout is really all that I need. I have learned that around the 90-minute mark with running, I get hungry so if I run longer than that, I will need to bring a snack to eat during my run to keep me from losing my steam. I have learned that post-workout, lean protein and a starchy carb work for recovery. However, a post-WO meal dos not always fit into my time-frame for the day so this is occasionally overlooked. While I do occasionally eat a Rx bar, Larabar, or EPIC bar, I try to reserve these for emergencies since they are not ideal. But sometimes you gotta use what you have on hand, knowing that although they are not ideal, they are still whole, real foods that are healthier than off-plan 'foods.'

This Whole 30 has already been such a success that I am looking forward to continuing it for as long as I can, through Christmas and New Years. I love the way I feel. I love how positive and energetic I am. I love how great I feel, psychologically and physically. I have recently come to a realization too. I have realized that weight and size doesn't matter, as long as you are eating well and taking care of your body. Health and wellness are so much more important than a size of jeans or a number on a scale. I am no longer afraid whether I will gain weight or lose weight. I would rather be healthy, happy, and feel awesome at whatever weight my body decides to settle on once it gets used to my Whole 30 way of eating, than to lose weight and get 'skinny' and not be healthy or feel great. Skinny and healthy are not synonymous. I have decided that my health is more of a priority than size and weight. How refreshing and LIBERATING! :)

Here I am at the end of Week #2, reviewing my progress once again. My initial goals are listed above, and I feel like I have met them every single day I have been doing Whole 30.

1. To say I feel good is an understatement. I feel amazing! I feel alive, energetic, present, aware, and just overall great! Even though I have done a few Whole 30's in the past, I never felt this good. It is true that Whole 30's build on each other. I wake up refreshed after sleeping so well and have a positive outlook and attitude about the day. I am cheerier and kinder to others (not to mention myself!) One of my co-workers even mentioned this week that I was glowing at our morning meeting. She said I was full of energy and it was obvious that the Whole 30 was working for me.

2. I have absolute control (without becoming obsessive or disordered) over what I eat. I did have cravings this past week, but know what some of my craving-inducing triggers are now so will avoid them if I can, and I have learned valuable coping mechanisms when I am craving. I find it easy and pretty much brainless to do without something that would have previously called to me, like the holiday goodies ever-present in our nurse break room at work. (Seriously, there is ALWAYS food around at work! Sheesh!) I have total control, and I am so glad it is that way and not the other way around.  I would say that you have total TRUST in your body and that you have KNOWLEDGE about how to nourish it!

3. The foods that I am eating on the Whole 30 are without a doubt and undeniably healthy foods. That's pretty much it.

4. With the help of the Whole 30 moderators, as well as some personal trial-and-error I am learning how to fuel my workouts and train for my marathon. I have learned that protein pre-workout is really all that I need. I have learned that around the 90-minute mark with running, I get hungry so if I run longer than that, I will need to bring a snack to eat during my run to keep me from losing my steam. I have learned that post-workout, lean protein and a starchy carb work for recovery. However, a post-WO meal dos not always fit into my time-frame for the day so this is occasionally overlooked. While I do occasionally eat a Rx bar, Larabar, or EPIC bar, I try to reserve these for emergencies since they are not ideal. But sometimes you gotta use what you have on hand, knowing that although they are not ideal, they are still whole, real foods that are healthier than off-plan 'foods.'

This Whole 30 has already been such a success that I am looking forward to continuing it for as long as I can, through Christmas and New Years. I love the way I feel. I love how positive and energetic I am. I love how great I feel, psychologically and physically. I have recently come to a realization too. I have realized that weight and size doesn't matter, as long as you are eating well and taking care of your body. Health and wellness are so much more important than a size of jeans or a number on a scale. I am no longer afraid whether I will gain weight or lose weight. I would rather be healthy, happy, and feel awesome at whatever weight my body decides to settle on once it gets used to my Whole 30 way of eating, than to lose weight and get 'skinny' and not be healthy or feel great. Skinny and healthy are not synonymous. I have decided that my health is more of a priority than size and weight. How refreshing and LIBERATING! :)

This is just the best thing I have read all day.

And kudos to you for avoiding a Larabar the other day.  Still a better-than option vs. many choices, but a less-than vs. what we KNOW is real food.

I'm so happy for you and proud of you!  Makes me want to train for another marathon!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

2. I have absolute control (without becoming obsessive or disordered) over what I eat. I did have cravings this past week, but know what some of my craving-inducing triggers are now so will avoid them if I can, and I have learned valuable coping mechanisms when I am craving. I find it easy and pretty much brainless to do without something that would have previously called to me, like the holiday goodies ever-present in our nurse break room at work. (Seriously, there is ALWAYS food around at work! Sheesh!) I have total control, and I am so glad it is that way and not the other way around.

Well said, Alison!

Several things you wrote here resonate with me.

From your second goal, about having healthy control over what you eat... I was listening to a podcast last night of an interview from Melissa Hartwig. One thing she mentioned is that when we do a Whole 30, the decision-making is taken out of the "executive function" part of the brain and instead moved to the habit part. That makes so much sense to me and it goes right along with our conversation about moderating vs. abstaining. When I am on the Whole 30, I just know that I am eating meats, veggies, fruits, and fats and it's all good. No decisions need to be made on an individual basis. Cookies? No thanks. A glass of wine? No thanks. Chips and queso? No thanks. I am feeling satisfied and nourished, not deprived, knowing that what I've chosen is doing my body good.

From your final paragraph... I, too, love how I am feeling. It feels so so so good to have a more positive outlook on life. And more energy. I love the psychological boost that Whole 30 is giving me. And yes! The number on the scale - for goodness sake - who cares?! My doctor and I are the only ones who ever actually see this number. I am the only person who knows what size clothing I wear. What matters is that I am putting nourishing foods into my body and that I am able to do the things I want and need to do every day. Feeling & being strong and healthy is amazing and matters so.much.more than any numbers!

Thanks for writing your thoughts here. It helps me to process along with you.  :)

Day 15 (12/11):

M1: 3 cage-free scrambled eggs, 1 T. ghee, 1 large baked sweet potato, 1/2 of a 16 oz. jar of salsa (all ingredients compliant), herbal tea, at 6am

post-73990-0-11495900-1449886069_thumb.j

M2: roasted spaghetti squash (brushed with olive oil, then roasted), topped with homemade chili (meat, veggies, tomatoes, and spices), 1/2 avocado filled with balsamic vinegar, at 12pm

Snack: 16 oz. Perrier water, closed fistful of raw almonds, at 4:15pm

(I ate this snack because I was meeting my Mom for an outing that involved eating Moravian sugar cake, and I wanted to make sure I had something on my stomach to help me avoid eating that treat. Also, I wasn't sure when we would be done with our outing and we were going to go our separate ways and eat dinner after the outing. I'm glad I had the snack because it would have been 8 hours between M2 and M3 otherwise! Also, it was very easy for me to forgo the sugar cake! Abstinence is so much easier for me than moderation!)

M3: 15 cooked shrimp, steamed broccoli with salt and pepper, 1/2 avocado filled with dark cherry balsamic vinegar, medium organic Granny Smith apple, 1/2 T. organic sunflower nut butter, at 8:30-9pm

post-73990-0-00385300-1449886080_thumb.j

I was listening to a podcast last night of an interview from Melissa Hartwig. One thing she mentioned is that when we do a Whole 30, the decision-making is taken out of the "executive function" part of the brain and instead moved to the habit part. That makes so much sense to me and it goes right along with our conversation about moderating vs. abstaining. When I am on the Whole 30, I just know that I am eating meats, veggies, fruits, and fats and it's all good. No decisions need to be made on an individual basis. Cookies? No thanks. A glass of wine? No thanks. Chips and queso? No thanks. I am feeling satisfied and nourished, not deprived, knowing that what I've chosen is doing my body good.

Where do you find podcasts? I would love to listen to Melissa discuss the Whole 30! What a genius!

I, too, love that our food choices are simplified and a lot of the decision-making is taken out of the equation completely. What a relief! It makes it easier to know what I can and can't eat to feel good. I love that these habits are becoming just that--habits.

Where do you find podcasts? I would love to listen to Melissa discuss the Whole 30! What a genius!

I, too, love that our food choices are simplified and a lot of the decision-making is taken out of the equation completely. What a relief! It makes it easier to know what I can and can't eat to feel good. I love that these habits are becoming just that--habits.

I just searched Melissa Hartwig on my Podcast app (on the iPhone). This was an interview with Functional Medicine Dr. Michael Ruscio. 

Archived