feeling out of control

reneeruecks

So my whole 30 ended the day before thanksgiving.  I planned on staying whole30 and adding alcohol and then start other introductions on Monday, or just continuing whole 30 for as long as I could.  Thanksgiving went great. I had no urge to eat anything other than what I had prepared for myself. I even made a paleo chocolate cake that was gluten, and dairy free (sweetener was maple s yrup but Id din't even use the whole amount the recipe called for) I was happy with all my food and my wine! 

Fast forward to today, two days after thanksgiving. I feel like I went on kind of a binge.  It was nothing close to what a normal binge before whole30 would be, but I feel overwhelmed by it bc I haven't eaten like this in a month and a half and I am feeling like a failure. I had a very small piece of apple pie, and some mashed potatoes and ham which I know has sugar in it.  My meals are still whole 30.  I think maybe a reason why I feel so bad about it was maybe bc of the way I ate it? And the fact that I basically ate diary, gluten and sugar all at once, on top of feeling a bit hungover and tired from having drinks the past two days.  I also weighed myself and I have gained back 2 of the 8 lbs I lost.  I'm so scared that weight is going to start creeping back up the more I keep creeping food in. 

I guess I am just feeling like crap, out of control and like a failure(which I know I'm not bc I kicked ass the whole 30 days and I don't want this to take away from what I accomplished)  I am just feeling lost, I don't know how to eat or what I should be doing now.  I do not think gluten is good for me, but I would like to have small amounts like maybe an ezekiel english muffin at breakfast, I would like to avoid dairy as well for the most part but I just don't know if I can do 80-20, or if that is even effective.  I just don't know what my personal plan should be and now that I have had a little bit I feel like it's all or nothing and who cares why stick to it bc I've gone off track. 

I guess I am just feeling like crap, out of control and like a failure(which I know I'm not bc I kicked ass the whole 30 days and I don't want this to take away from what I accomplished)  I am just feeling lost, I don't know how to eat or what I should be doing now. 

You're correct, you're not a failure.

Here's what I would recommend:

- resume 100% Whole30 eating until you feel like you did when you woke up on Day 31.

- from there, reintroduce the foods you think you want to eat again, isolating one day for testing each food group with two days of 100% Whole30 eating in between, per the Whole30 reintroduction protocol.

The information you gather from your physical and psychological reactions to those foods will help you decide how you want to eat going forward. From that point, say you choose to have grains or dairy every-so-often: you'll have to experiment with the frequency to decide what's worth it for you and what amount won't cause you to binge-eat.

You're correct, you're not a failure.

Here's what I would recommend:

- resume 100% Whole30 eating until you feel like you did when you woke up on Day 31.

- from there, reintroduce the foods you think you want to eat again, isolating one day for testing each food group with two days of 100% Whole30 eating in between, per the Whole30 reintroduction protocol.

The information you gather from your physical and psychological reactions to those foods will help you decide how you want to eat going forward. From that point, say you choose to have grains or dairy every-so-often: you'll have to experiment with the frequency to decide what's worth it for you and what amount won't cause you to binge-eat.

thank you so much! It's good to know it's not all or nothing! So since I have already done the whole 30 I should detox faster? I think I am going to try and stay as close to whole30 eating this weekend and then just start back on monday. It's so hard with the holiday! Thank you for your advice!

thank you so much! It's good to know it's not all or nothing! So since I have already done the whole 30 I should detox faster? I think I am going to try and stay as close to whole30 eating this weekend and then just start back on monday. It's so hard with the holiday! Thank you for your advice!

You're welcome!

We really refrain from describing Whole30 eating as a "detox." How better or worse you feel the few days after resuming Whole30 eating is typically directly related to the volume of off plan food eaten beforehand.

Archived