Getting back on track during the holidays

Hello All,

Sorry in advance for the novel, but I am feeling pretty lost and don't really know where to start. July through Mid-October I did two complete Whole 30 rounds and in between I'd say I was 98% compliant. Something got into my brain that I should have one day a month (when not in a full Whole 30) where I can eat what I want. (This probably came from my fiance who has read some research into how cheat days can help when dieting). So the end of October rolled around with Halloween parties and I ATE ALL THE THINGS during weekends. During the week I ate compliant, but slowly I ate less and less compliant all the time because somehow I justified to myself "Oh, what's the point of eating healthy when my engagement party is in two weeks. Oh, what's the point in eating healthy when Thanksgiving is in two weeks."  After my first Whole 30 I felt so free. I didn't binge or compulsively eat, and I felt good being able to say no. I'm back to square one and my Sugar Demons are completely controlling me. With a million holiday parties and Christmas coming I don't see how I can get back on track before January. But I don't want to spend the next month and a half berating myself, obsessing about food,  feeling out of control, and (if I'm being super honest here) gaining back the 15 pounds I was so proud of losing. I'm not entirely sure what my question is. I feel like I'm too much of an all or nothing type of person... Does anyone have any advice on getting back to being mostly compliant? How do I start, now, asking myself "Is this worth it?" 

Thanks, 

- Jamie

How about eating as close as you to can to Whole30 while at home (even on weekends), and then off road, judiciously, without extreme over-indulging, only when dining out or at holiday parties, when it's unique, special and worth it? Then consider doing a full-fledged Whole30 in January to right yourself.

• Moderators

The point of a Whole30 is to develop and implement your own personal eating plan. The one that is customized with the information about what you can eat safely and what causes you serious trouble that you learned by doing reintroductions. Your personal plan is one you live on permanently because doing a Whole30 all the time or 29 days per month doesn't work for very long. 

If you did not do reintroductions (because honestly lots of people never do that part), you've got some unfinished work to do. 

My personal eating plan looks like this... I eat perfectly Whole30-compliant in my home because that is really easy for me to do. When I go out to eat, I preferentially go to places where I can order meat, fish, poultry, and veggies and avoid pasta, bread, etc. That said, I don't worry about soy, sugar, dairy, or anything else in sauces or cooking methods because my body is forgiving about small amounts of anything. If I want to go to an Indian restaurant and eat food that is far off the Whole30 menu, I go and don't worry about it. I have even gone to a great Neapolitan restaurant and had pizza, but I have not had anything from Dominos or Pizza Hut in more than 6 years. If I am at a place that makes incredibly tasty pies or ice cream, I order a serving and eat all of it. I spit on the idea of eating the crap desserts at a chain restaurant or the fake convenience of eating a can of Ravioli-O's at my house. :) But one exception on the crap desserts of chain restaurants - I get coffee after lunch with a friend at Einstein's Bagels about once per week. He always buys a cinnamon twist and I eat half of it as we drink our coffee. 

Now here is an important issue that is really bigger than an eating plan. I like being alive and want to live as long as I can in excellent health. Therefore, I like to eat foods that make me more healthy and supports my desire to live a long time. I don't buy the lies of our culture that says junk food tastes great, that fast food is essential to manage a busy life, or that cooking is too time-consuming or difficult and I deserve to cut corners. I bet I honestly enjoy more of the meals I eat than almost anyone I know (and Melissa Hartwig has been in my house). 

You can be constantly happy with your meals and eat healthy. 

I don't mean to suggest my eating is perfect. Sometimes I prepare meals that are probably more than twice as much as I should be eating - like a stir-fry that fills my dinner plate to a depth of almost 3 inches. I get carried away using up food when I am cooking and then find it difficult to put any of it in the refrigerator for another meal. I just (over) eat it. And when I wake up at 3 AM hungry, I rarely make a mini-meal. I eat a can of pears or peaches or fruit cocktail. Healthy food, but not the best choice for blood sugar management at 3 AM. Of course all of this leaves me eating meals that look a lot like a Whole30 almost all the time. You can do this too and be happy doing it. 

I love Chris' idea - compliant at home, then indulge in your absolute favourites at special dinners during the holidays. Realistically, how many holiday meals are you going to attend? In the big picture, if the rest of your meals are compliant, you can still nourish yourself well and maintain your weight loss. I totally understand the all-or-nothing (I'm the same!). To get around this, your "all" will be "all meals except for special occasion holiday meals will be 100% compliant, and all food at home will be compliant". Be self-compassionate - no one is perfect and the holidays are a hard time to try to be your best with eating well!! But a Whole30 in January will balance the extra indulgences over the holidays as long as you are indulging within reason (e.g., have dessert, but not three servings of dessert! :) )

Thank you everyone! All of this was very motivating. I did do my reintroduction (turns out I've been lactose intolerant for 26 years and never knew) but the idea of adding grains or legumes to my daily dietary plan gave me a lot of anxiety about not being able to lose weight (I know that's not the goal, but 1. I'm getting married & 2. I'm only human here!). I guess instead of bending I broke. I think I can turn things around by better preparing myself. Feeling much more positive, thanks again!

I'm not a top chef but I enjoy my own cooking.  It's basic and I don't use recipes.  I change it up all of the time. I don't miss fast-food joints because I don't have any.  I can go months without restaurants.  The money saved is outstanding.

I know there are homeless people who can't afford groceries and people living in their cars.  An elderly woman was recently rescued from our harsh winter environment.  She was sleeping and living out of her car. It breaks my heart.

The money I save I can give to a food bank.  We hunt and fish.   My husband gives bags of our processed game and fish to the widows.  We do what we can.   He often pays for the groceries of an elderly person standing in line.  We know who's suffering around here.

Cook at home.  Save your bucks.   Share with the less fortunate.  Whole 30 is not for the elite.  It doesn't have to be all fancy schmancy and gourmet.   Anyone can do this on a limited budget.  You don't need all of the extras to get by.   

I'm blessed not to live in a big ole city without any grocery stores around.  I feel for the homeless.  I care.  I share.

• 2 weeks later...

The point of a Whole30 is to develop and implement your own personal eating plan. The one that is customized with the information about what you can eat safely and what causes you serious trouble that you learned by doing reintroductions. Your personal plan is one you live on permanently because doing a Whole30 all the time or 29 days per month doesn't work for very long. 

If you did not do reintroductions (because honestly lots of people never do that part), you've got some unfinished work to do. 

My personal eating plan looks like this... I eat perfectly Whole30-compliant in my home because that is really easy for me to do. When I go out to eat, I preferentially go to places where I can order meat, fish, poultry, and veggies and avoid pasta, bread, etc. That said, I don't worry about soy, sugar, dairy, or anything else in sauces or cooking methods because my body is forgiving about small amounts of anything. If I want to go to an Indian restaurant and eat food that is far off the Whole30 menu, I go and don't worry about it. I have even gone to a great Neapolitan restaurant and had pizza, but I have not had anything from Dominos or Pizza Hut in more than 6 years. If I am at a place that makes incredibly tasty pies or ice cream, I order a serving and eat all of it. I spit on the idea of eating the crap desserts at a chain restaurant or the fake convenience of eating a can of Ravioli-O's at my house. :) But one exception on the crap desserts of chain restaurants - I get coffee after lunch with a friend at Einstein's Bagels about once per week. He always buys a cinnamon twist and I eat half of it as we drink our coffee. 

Now here is an important issue that is really bigger than an eating plan. I like being alive and want to live as long as I can in excellent health. Therefore, I like to eat foods that make me more healthy and supports my desire to live a long time. I don't buy the lies of our culture that says junk food tastes great, that fast food is essential to manage a busy life, or that cooking is too time-consuming or difficult and I deserve to cut corners. I bet I honestly enjoy more of the meals I eat than almost anyone I know (and Melissa Hartwig has been in my house). 

I don't mean to suggest my eating is perfect. Sometimes I prepare meals that are probably more than twice as much as I should be eating - like a stir-fry that fills my dinner plate to a depth of almost 3 inches. I get carried away using up food when I am cooking and then find it difficult to put any of it in the refrigerator for another meal. I just (over) eat it. And when I wake up at 3 AM hungry, I rarely make a mini-meal. I eat a can of pears or peaches or fruit cocktail. Healthy food, but not the best choice for blood sugar management at 3 AM. Of course all of this leaves me eating meals that look a lot like a Whole30 almost all the time. You can do this too and be happy doing it. 

Tom, I quoted this entire post because I freaking love it.  Thank you for your honesty and insight.  I've seen your tough love (and at first I thought you were a bit of an automaton), but now I see your human side.  (And I think you can see that I've been learning as quickly as I can from you and the other moderators - I know you didn't have that luxury when you did your first Whole30).  I'm a bit nervous about "learning to ride my own bike" but this approach makes sense to me.  I love the concept of "worth-it" foods.  My kid's leftover Hallowe'en candy - no. Hawaiian macadamia nuts coated in dark chocolate (brought from Hawaii by a co-worker) - possibly.  Dark Belgian chocolate mousse in Belgium - absolutely!

Thank you everyone! All of this was very motivating. I did do my reintroduction (turns out I've been lactose intolerant for 26 years and never knew) but the idea of adding grains or legumes to my daily dietary plan gave me a lot of anxiety about not being able to lose weight (I know that's not the goal, but 1. I'm getting married & 2. I'm only human here!). I guess instead of bending I broke. I think I can turn things around by better preparing myself. Feeling much more positive, thanks again!

Yes, you CAN!  You might consider Whole3 or Whole5 or Whole7 - a strategy Melissa Hartwig herself uses for a quick little "back-on-track."

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

WOW!  I wish everyone had your perspective...balanced and healthy!  I am just finished up the reintroduction phase of my first Whole30 and love how I have been feeling and I have been wondering "what now".  You just gave me my answer...Thank you!

Archived