Bikini competition

Kaypentz

I was wondering if anyone has train for a bikini competition while eating whole 30. It's something i want to do and recently I was going to a place where they help lose weight pretty much eating a lot like they do wile training just not quite as strict. Only to learn that all the carbs they had me eating sent me into a binge of sugar and carbs that I know I can't have but I though I'd trust her and do it. So I wanted to know if it was possible or anyone has done it before not eating grains and still able to make it work.

I know someone who competes with a great deal of success whilst eating strict Paleo - not quite the same as Whole30 obviously, but a good indicator that it IS completely possible without grains, or cheat days, and in her case without supplements or protein shakes or any other crap of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same position. I would love to compete in a bikini/body fitness competition but find the diet my coach has me on very difficult. I am on a gluten free plan but have rice and oats in there and protein shakes which really don't agree with me. My issue is eating after a workout I often workout late at night and I don't feel like eating after so protein shakes are convenient.

Joy, the shakes aren't convienient. They are detrimental. So is working out late if it disrupts refueling and sleeping. I know right now you might not see it that way, but Whole 30 will require you to make an effort in realigning your schedule and notions of ease and convenience.

Former protein shake slammer,

Lucie

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

You can definitely do this Whole30. Your post workout meal doesn't need to be big, just a few bites of chicken and sweet potatoes (or similar foods). Easy.

That being said, the Whole30 needs to be high on your priority list. If there are too many things on the list (besides job, family, sleep) you're going to run into conflicts. There will be other competitions, so decide now what is more important to you. If the competition is too important, you may want to do your Whole30 after it has passed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just coming off of a figure competition, and although everyone responds differently, I've prepped a number of ways.  At first, I prepped with a coach who loved the bro science....rice cakes, cream of rice, oats, rice etc...  I tried to remain open mined, but eventually switched gears and worked with a coach who supported my paleo lifestyle, and the consumption of whole foods.  He worked more based off of macros.  I'm a firm believer that if you have the right balance of protein carbs and fat for YOU, your body will do amazing things!

Obtaining those numbers and macronutrients may be beneficial at first (when you aren't doing a Whole30, of course).  It's your call but it might be beneficial to see how those numbers compare to eating on Whole 30 and listening to your body's natural hunger cues...because that of course, take priority.

I think the other important thing to note is that most often to get to that low of a body fat percentage, you will need to inevitably eat at a caloric deficit, which doesn't really comply with the premise of the program.  So bottom line: do I think it's possible to get there on whole, nutritious foods, and no processed grains or supplements?  Absolutely.  But I think that type of training and the Whole 30 are two entirely different ways of thinking and may be best thought of as mutually exclusive. 

I'm excited to follow your journey!

I would question why you're entering a bikini contest?

given that the whole30 is mostly about a psychological link with food, and it's less about weight, and body fat, and what we look like.

a bikini contest just seems like an out dated sexist oggle-athon.

If you win, you get the impression that everyone thinks you look fantastic in swimwear, when in fact you might be very unhealthy depending on how they're judging what you look like.

If you don't win, you'll be deflated, and have doubts that you're not good enough.

image/figure/bikini contests are not good for your mental health.

eat healthy, think healthy, forget about what you look like, in so much that no one else's opinion of what you look like should matter to you.

If you're eating right, and feel good then who cares what some panel of judges think?

Absolutely, Emily.  :) I'm no expert by any means, but I'm happy to be 100% forthright and honest about my own experience.  There were definite struggles along the way, but it truly is such an amazing sport and experience in general.  I can only speak for myself of course, but getting involved in bodybuilding had little to do with others' opinions of my appearance.  I suppose everyone has their own reasons for doing what they love and have a passion for!

You absolutely can prep on a Whole30.  Every meal plan should have a list of food for substitution.  Carbs can come from potatoes, pumpkin, & winter squash- these obviously would take the place of rice/ oats etc.  Protein powder is 100% not necessary- you are always better using real food protein sources.  I have taken supplements, not taken supplements-  for me personally, that did not make a difference.  I consistently take fish oil (and I love BCAAs- but the ones I like are not compliant-  so it has been water).  I know it is not encouraged to count macros n a Whole30, but that is possible too- you can adapt IIFYM to your own style of eating.  If you do well on a high fat diet, adjust your carb- protein- fat ratio.  Many trainers have different approaches- I would never take one as "the right one".  People tend to promote what works for them.  (cough, cough).  I have done IIFYM, but have better success with paleo-style eating.  I have a basic meal plan & use sensible portions.  No more wrecking the metabolism!!  I don't know your bodyfat, etc, but I say start prepping earlier- in 30 days you should be seeing results- make adjustments from there.  Good Luck!!  B)

Archived