Whole100: Part 2! Starts December 1st

WholeMama623

Well hello everyone!

I am back for another 100 days of clean, healthy eating AND I'm choosing to do it smack dab in the middle of the Christmas season! Oh boy!!

I did a Whole100 back in May that ended in August. While it was hard in the beginning, I also really enjoyed it, and learned a lot about my body (like how I sleep SO MUCH BETTER when I'm not eating sugar). I felt the best I've felt in a long time, and there was a pride that came in eating VERY clean and knowing that I was doing right by body. My family doesn't understand. Dealing with Celiac was hard enough, and then when I CHOSE to significantly decrease my eating choices even more, they just couldn't understand.

I have Celiac Disease, Underactive Thyroid, and Hashimoto's. I believe I have a few more AI diseases that have not been diagnosed yet, as well. Using the Whole30 rules to eat changed the way my body worked in the best way possible. I learned that I actually really like black coffee, and ghee, and paleo mayo! ( I really cannot even eat regular mayo now!!!). I function best with strict rules, and am not a moderator.

Shortly after my  Whole100 ended we went on vacation to Disney and that's when the downward spiral started again. So here I am. Back to claim control over my life.

This blog is more about my daily struggles/accomplishments than it is logging my food. I already have 1 whole100 under my belt, so I won't be listing out my daily food choices.

I hope to get some friends during this journey to help me along!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 0:

I am officially starting tomorrow because I really like clean fresh slates. Even though today is Monday, it's also the last day of the month, and I'm just too OCD for that!  :lol: 

However, my meals today are Whole30 compliant, so I could technically be doing a Whole101 if everything works out today.

I am preparing myself now for the "out lash" of comments I am going to get from my family for taking this on right now. My mom told me "just wait until the new year! don't do it during Christmas!!" to which I told her "There will ALWAYS be some reason to put it off. I can't do it anymore!" and then she pouted that she likes when I can eat "regular" food. *sigh*

I plan on making a facebook post about starting a Whole100 and hope that gets the point across that no one will change my mind.

I asked my mom if I could make the pre-dinner snacks for Christmas this year and told her what I wanted to make (and that I wasn't including chips) and she looked at me like I had two heads.

Oh well. We're doing what we gotta do to take care of ourselves!

I asked my mom if I could make the pre-dinner snacks for Christmas this year and told her what I wanted to make (and that I wasn't including chips) and she looked at me like I had two heads.

Oh well. We're doing what we gotta do to take care of ourselves!

Exactly!!! This time of year is so hard.. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. However, I just can't keep making excuses for pushing it back! I am so off track, and this is the only way I can get back on track. My family will deal, I just get tired of hearing their comments!

I'm with you! It's a hard time of year, but I find that I am a much better abstainer than I am a moderator, so knowing that I'm not going to indulge just takes all the stress out of the equation. We can support each other!

Hello! YES, same here! I am not a moderator AT ALL. I think that I am every single time and then 3 months later I'm eating so much bad stuff for me because it opens the vortex. I am a MUCH better abstainer and really love the Whole30 program because I have a solid set of "rules" and I follow them religiously. 

Looking forward to following you!!!

I thought I would have trouble on Thanksgiving day.  I had dinner at my outlaws (ex-in-laws).  I ended up eating turkey and green beans and no dessert.  I got a few comments about it being a holiday and I could "enjoy" one meal.  I just politely said that I had worked too hard to "cheat" now.  No more comments after that.  

Best of luck to you :)

I thought I would have trouble on Thanksgiving day.  I had dinner at my outlaws (ex-in-laws).  I ended up eating turkey and green beans and no dessert.  I got a few comments about it being a holiday and I could "enjoy" one meal.  I just politely said that I had worked too hard to "cheat" now.  No more comments after that.  

Best of luck to you :)

Good for you! That's awesome. Wish I WOULD have done that! LOL

Day 1!!!!!!

YAY! Although yesterday was completely compliant, I want to start my 100 days today. I will just use yesterday as a "practice" day for the real thing.

When my last Whole100 ended I got down to 161 lbs. I lost 7 lbs. I weighed myself today and I'm back up to 169. I couldn't believe it, but I am not surprised. Thanksgiving went on for about 3 days if you count leftovers, and honestly, I believe some of this is water weight. I guess in the end, it'll make my end number look a bit better, right?

The only thing I AM already dreading is a mandatory business lunch in two weeks. We are doing out to a somewhat fancy restaurant, and I cannot get out of it. I also hate to be extremely picky in front of 15 of my coworkers when ordering. Urgh. I might just get a burger with no bun, mayo, or cheese. I'd honestly rather just eat before I go, but everyone always gets on me big time, and it's hard with my work people. Maybe they will have a salad that doesn't have stuff in it.

I have my appointment with my GI today. It's my first appointment, so I doubt much will be done, but maybe I'll get some answers for the pain I've been in soon!

Here we go......

Do you know where you are going for the lunch?  you could call ahead and talk to them about best options.  I have an allergy to soy, so I use that as an excuse, just stating that I have food "intolerances".....  I choose what I am going to order and what I need to bring with me (i.e. dressing or ghee).  Typically I have some grilled meat (beef, burger, chicken - ask ahead how they season it - and if all meat is seasoned, ask how to make sure it is without), steamed veggies and a potato if they have it.  I bring my own ghee and shaker seasoning (try well fed sunrise spice, especially on a baked sweet potato).  Then, when you get to the restaurant you don't have to peruse the menu (wishing you could have such and such), and can order quickly with no fuss.

"Yes please, I will have the 6 oz ribeye plain, med rare with steamed broccoli - plain, bake sweet potato - plain, and house salad with no croutons, cheese or dressing."  Thank you very much.

BTW...  I guess that my Thanksgiving story is to say that Christmas dinner can be done.  If you are going somewhere, take a side or two that you know you can eat.  Enjoy what you can - and then gloat a little bit when everyone else is sick to their stomach from eating too much  :P

PS - glad you're back!

I actually think it is easier to eat Whole30 compliant at a fancier restaurant. You can usually do something like a steak or piece of fish, and they'll be willing to tailor it for you. At one restaurant I go to for work, I often get a burger (no bun) with avocado slices and a side of steamed asparagus.

Good luck with your appointment!

Congrats on Day 1 WholeMama!

Let us know how the business lunch goes. I have a team dinner in two weeks and the next day my company holiday party. I work for a wine company. No clue how I'm going to manage that!

I'll let you know! It's not until the 16th!

Do you know where you are going for the lunch?  you could call ahead and talk to them about best options.  I have an allergy to soy, so I use that as an excuse, just stating that I have food "intolerances".....  I choose what I am going to order and what I need to bring with me (i.e. dressing or ghee).  Typically I have some grilled meat (beef, burger, chicken - ask ahead how they season it - and if all meat is seasoned, ask how to make sure it is without), steamed veggies and a potato if they have it.  I bring my own ghee and shaker seasoning (try well fed sunrise spice, especially on a baked sweet potato).  Then, when you get to the restaurant you don't have to peruse the menu (wishing you could have such and such), and can order quickly with no fuss.

"Yes please, I will have the 6 oz ribeye plain, med rare with steamed broccoli - plain, bake sweet potato - plain, and house salad with no croutons, cheese or dressing."  Thank you very much.

BTW...  I guess that my Thanksgiving story is to say that Christmas dinner can be done.  If you are going somewhere, take a side or two that you know you can eat.  Enjoy what you can - and then gloat a little bit when everyone else is sick to their stomach from eating too much  :P

PS - glad you're back!

I do actually know where it's going to be, and will look at the menu ahead of time and see what I'm up against. I also have two birthday parties, and a Christmas eve party/brunch to deal with this month as well. Holy heck!

I actually think it is easier to eat Whole30 compliant at a fancier restaurant. You can usually do something like a steak or piece of fish, and they'll be willing to tailor it for you. At one restaurant I go to for work, I often get a burger (no bun) with avocado slices and a side of steamed asparagus.

Good luck with your appointment!

I hope it will be easier! This place always has weird sauces and things, but I'm sure I can ask to omit it.

Day 2!!!!!

Good morning everyone!

First, I had my GI appointment yesterday and I'm slightly overwhelmed. I am having a CT scan (with contrast) on my abdomen and pelvis next Friday, and then six weeks after, I'm to do a colonoscopy. Not real happy about this considering I'm not even 30, but It is necessary to see what my issues is! He wants me to take miralax once a day for my bowel "issues" so I'm hoping that doesn't screw with my body too much. I may only take it when needed. I think every day would be over kill.

Food so far has been okay, nothing special or any crazy recipe's, but complaint nonetheless.  Last night for dinner we had burgers topped with a fried egg with guacamole. I also had more broccoli slaw with olive oil, and then had crinkle cut sweet potato fried and dipped in paleo mayo. It was quite tasty!

My husband won't "do" a whole anything, but follows along pretty closely. He can't give up his beer or protein powder.

It doesn't even feel like I'm DOING a whole100.. it just feels GOOD and natural to be eating better again!

Hi Britt!

I'm sorry to hear about the medical tests, but I guess with GI issues there aren't really other ways for the doc to see what's going on. At least he's being thorough, so you'll hopefully have an answer soon. I had a difficult to diagnose health problem once, and it was SUCH a relief to finally know what was causing it. 

Your food sounds good... I rely on broccoli slaw and chopped salads a lot for easy vegetables.The latter are tasty sauteed in coconut oil. And it makes life easier that your husband is willing to eat Whole30 food. 

Stay strong! You sound happier when you're doing a Whole30.  :)

Thank you both, ladies!

Julie, I am much happier when I'm doing a whole30/100. Not sure why! This time I am actually at peace with it. Normally, I feel very pouty the first couple weeks, because I don't want to give up the stuff I've been eating, but this time, I really really wanted to do it. I was going to push it off because of the holidays and then decided, that nope! can't do it!

Day 3!!

Last night for dinner we did fresh ground chicken patty's in the George foreman, and had it over a bed of shredded brussel sprouts! I also had a sweet potato and ghee with some cinnamon applesauce (compliant).

I've really really cut back on the sugar and I'm surprised at the lack of headaches or anything! I don't feel any different so far, which I normally do by now. Maybe my body is happy to be back into the healthy swing of things too!

I have a birthday party this weekend, but I'm pretty sure i'll be able to navigate it fairly easily. I'll bring a larabar just incase, but they usually have pretty healthy food!

My mom does Christmas brunch, and I'm trying to think of a recipe that I can make and bring that won't be too "scary" to my family! maybe something with potatoes? Does anyone know of anything?

Lunch, more chicken! (lol) with asparagus with ghee, and a sweet potato with ghee! that should hold me until dinner!

Day 3!!

Last night for dinner we did fresh ground chicken patty's in the George foreman, and had it over a bed of shredded brussel sprouts! I also had a sweet potato and ghee with some cinnamon applesauce (compliant).

I've really really cut back on the sugar and I'm surprised at the lack of headaches or anything! I don't feel any different so far, which I normally do by now. Maybe my body is happy to be back into the healthy swing of things too!

I have a birthday party this weekend, but I'm pretty sure i'll be able to navigate it fairly easily. I'll bring a larabar just incase, but they usually have pretty healthy food!

My mom does Christmas brunch, and I'm trying to think of a recipe that I can make and bring that won't be too "scary" to my family! maybe something with potatoes? Does anyone know of anything?

Lunch, more chicken! (lol) with asparagus with ghee, and a sweet potato with ghee! that should hold me until dinner!

Hi.  

For Christmas brunch, you might want to try this recipe below.  I make it a lot and it's delicious.  I don't even miss the cheese that usually is in a quiche.  I find I actually prefer this to nearly any other quiche I've had for the taste and no-guilt feeling.  I make it and then reheat it during the week for breakfasts or other meal and it also packs well in a thermos.  It's pretty flexible.  The one I made today has tomato, bacon, onion, and peppers instead of arugula since I didn't have any on hand.

http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/tomato-bacon-and-arugula-quiche-with-sweet-potato-crust/

Kristina

Hi.  

For Christmas brunch, you might want to try this recipe below.  I make it a lot and it's delicious.  I don't even miss the cheese that usually is in a quiche.  I find I actually prefer this to nearly any other quiche I've had for the taste and no-guilt feeling.  I make it and then reheat it during the week for breakfasts or other meal and it also packs well in a thermos.  It's pretty flexible.  The one I made today has tomato, bacon, onion, and peppers instead of arugula since I didn't have any on hand.

http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/tomato-bacon-and-arugula-quiche-with-sweet-potato-crust/

Kristina

We have actually made this before and I forgot about it!!! This would be delicious! Thank you!

Day 4!!!!

Not much going today. Dinner last night was burgers with sweet potatoes and I had some applesauce.

I am slightly dreading? (?) not sure that's the word I mean, but the weekend! This is usually when I go off track! My mom is watching our daughter this weekend so we can do more Christmas shopping, and it's always so easy to grab something to eat while we're out. I always feel like I'm missing out on the weekends which is ridiculous.

I need to stock up on some easy to grab snacks/things to take with me when we are out. I already asked my DH to get me some of those Epic bacon bites. They are amazing!

I do not log in on the weekends, so I'll be back on Monday!

Day 8!!!!

(I've decided that since I had a compliant day on 11/30, I'm using that as my start date.)

WELL! The first week is complete!

I had a pretty good weekend! I survived while staying compliant, and not evening feeling like I was missing out on anything! I got some black coffee at Starbucks, and that was good enough to feel like a treat! My friends who had the birthday party had a fruit and veggie tray, so that was a relief too. So glad I didn't obsess too much over the weekend like I thought I would.

The one thing we struggle with is never having enough food! We have a tight budget, and do the best we can (buy grass fed, only when we can afford it) but it seems like halfway through the week, we are pretty low on food, and that's when the problem sets in! The issue with following recipes everyday is that we'd use 1/3 of our budget for ONE night most of the time, so making a specific recipe doesn't work well for us. My daughter loves black olives, and larabars and such, so she eats my "back up" food. LOL.

Looks like you are going strong! Well done. 

I wonder how you might resolve your food and budgeting issues. That sounds tricky. How could you not struggle if you truly don't have enough compliant food around and can't afford to spend money to buy any more. You've probably googled/searched the forum for doing Whole 30 on a budget, right? I'm going to be thinking about this and will let you know if I come up with any brilliant ideas.

Archived