Whole100: Part 2! Starts December 1st

WholeMama623

Hi There !

You mentioned shredded brussel sprouts - was that cooked or raw ???

I am with you about the budget and managing enough food.  Lately I have been doing a lot of roasts with lots and lots of root veggies.  I morph that into beef hash for breakfast, I have even blended it with a hand immersion blender - added some coconut milk and made a thick soup.(with out the meat)  sometimes I can get 4 different dishes from 1 roast.

I also make quiches - eggs are a bit more economic - and egg bakes.

Glad you are doing well

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you are going strong! Well done. 

I wonder how you might resolve your food and budgeting issues. That sounds tricky. How could you not struggle if you truly don't have enough compliant food around and can't afford to spend money to buy any more. You've probably googled/searched the forum for doing Whole 30 on a budget, right? I'm going to be thinking about this and will let you know if I come up with any brilliant ideas.

It seems like something we are always up against. While we aren't poor, we do have two car payments, rent, daycare, ect.

Groceries have always been hard. We just never seem to be able to make the food last long enough, which means that we aren't buying enough, or are eating WAY more servings at once. Not sure which!

We already shop at Wal-Mart and Aldi which are cheaper, and during the winter months, the farmer's markets just don't have as much variety. It's tough. Once the spring and summer start again, we can start hitting little produce stands!

Hi There !

You mentioned shredded brussel sprouts - was that cooked or raw ???

I am with you about the budget and managing enough food.  Lately I have been doing a lot of roasts with lots and lots of root veggies.  I morph that into beef hash for breakfast, I have even blended it with a hand immersion blender - added some coconut milk and made a thick soup.(with out the meat)  sometimes I can get 4 different dishes from 1 roast.

I also make quiches - eggs are a bit more economic - and egg bakes.

Glad you are doing well

The shredded sprouts come raw, and we fry them in ghee in a frying pan! They come already shredded in a bag from Wal-Mart! I love it. Saves so much work!

Day 9!

Started the day off with a  huge omelet! Eggs, mushrooms, green peppers, and potatoes. YUM!

Last night for dinner we had crispy pan fried cod with summer squash and baby spinach. It was good, but it certainly didn't fill me up! When I do a whole100 I have to eat a sweet potato at least once a day, and right now we don't have any! I need to pick up a bag or two! Because I was still hungry after dinner, I ate two hardboiled eggs! That seemed to do the trick.

I've only been having one piece of fruit a day. For now, I think that's pretty good, but I'd like to get away from sugar altogether for awhile now.

I need to try to stay EXTRA hydrated this week as I have a CT scan on Friday and I need my veins to cooperate for the contrast dye.

Lunch today is a fresh ground chicken patty with cauliflower crumbles (found at target) sautéed in ghee with some broccoli slaw (with olive oil).

I'm feeling so good around that I can't believe it!!! No grumpy days, no headaches, nothing. My face is breaking out, however. This happens EVERY time. I really think it has to do with my body "detoxing" from all the sugar.

Day 10!!!

Not much to say today! Getting excited for Christmas!

Last night for dinner we had shaved beef with onions and green peppers with pan fried parsnip slices in ghee! I also had to hardboiled eggs and some black olives.

We need to get more veggies, luckily tomorrow is payday!

Sounds like you are rocking and rolling! 

I never feel full enough when fish is my main course, either. If I make tuna or salmon salad with homemade or Primal Mayo, then that works, but fresh fish just doesn't "hold me." 

I'm going to have to check out that bag of shredded brussels sprouts from Wal-Mart. Sounds like a tasty, quick and easy stir-fry ingredient. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sounds like you are rocking and rolling! 

I never feel full enough when fish is my main course, either. If I make tuna or salmon salad with homemade or Primal Mayo, then that works, but fresh fish just doesn't "hold me." 

I'm going to have to check out that bag of shredded brussels sprouts from Wal-Mart. Sounds like a tasty, quick and easy stir-fry ingredient. Thanks for the recommendation!

absolutely!! we just love them. Toss them right in the frying pan with ghee or oil, and they are so good!

Day 15!

Thanks so much for you two ladies checking up on me.

After my CT scan on Friday, I had an allergic reaction to the constrast dye, and ended up having to get a steroid shot, and a shot of Benadryl to stop the reaction. Not exactly ideal to pump my body full of stuff, but obviously I had to do what I had to do! I couldn't go to work, and needed to be "supervised" to make sure the reaction stopped. Needless to say, I haven't been online!

Things are going well. Still compliant, yet worried about tomorrow's business lunch. I'm sure I can make it work though, so I'm trying not to worry too much.

Hoping to get my results from my CT soon. I'm anxious to hear if there is anything that could be causing my pain. It's not going away, and now get horrible pain in my left side, if I lay on my right. Seems so odd to me.

any way, thanks again ladies!

Day 15!

Thanks so much for you two ladies checking up on me.

After my CT scan on Friday, I had an allergic reaction to the constrast dye, and ended up having to get a steroid shot, and a shot of Benadryl to stop the reaction. Not exactly ideal to pump my body full of stuff, but obviously I had to do what I had to do! I couldn't go to work, and needed to be "supervised" to make sure the reaction stopped. Needless to say, I haven't been online!

Things are going well. Still compliant, yet worried about tomorrow's business lunch. I'm sure I can make it work though, so I'm trying not to worry too much.

Hoping to get my results from my CT soon. I'm anxious to hear if there is anything that could be causing my pain. It's not going away, and now get horrible pain in my left side, if I lay on my right. Seems so odd to me.

any way, thanks again ladies!

Oh wow - sorry to hear about this! Hope you get back to normal soon AND that you find some answers to the pain you've been experiencing. <3

Day 17.

Lunch yesterday was good. I got a big salad without dressing and stayed compliant! Hopefully that's it for lunches for now! They are catering us a lunch today, but I brought my own lunch. Last time I asked about the catered stuff, it had all kinds of soy and stuff in it, so I had to skip everything then too.

All has been well. I've started sleeping a little better ONCE I fall asleep, but my side pain usually keeps me up for awhile when I lay down. I notice that stress makes it much worse too. I had a very stressful day at work on Monday and it seemed to "flare" up yesterday and I was in a  lot of pain.

My CT came back normal, which upset me to be honest. I do not want anything to be wrong, but it is obvious that something IS wrong, so the lack of an answer doesn't make me feel that great. I will got forward with the colonoscopy and the upper endoscopy they want to do and see if that answers any questions. After that, I think I'm out of options. :(

SNE- Thank you! I do the best I can, and generally try to avoid any lunch provided to us. Of course, no one understands why I don't want a free meal, because I don't even discuss my Whole100's with anyone. No one is going to get it, so I don't even waste my time explaining it.

Day 18!!

I cannot believe it's been almost 20 days already!!!! This is the first time I've ever felt like all of this was just "normal". No pining after food I can't have, no wanting to go blow it on the weekends, nothing. I'm very very content, and it's calming! My boss gave us coffee mugs for Christmas filled with Hershey's kisses, and I haven't even looked at them. I do however, want to pass them along to someone who can eat them! That will get them off my desk!

It did occur to me, that I when I do my colonoscopy prep, that I might have to have something non-compliant. You have to go on a clear diet the day before, and that usually involves popsicles and jello. I'm going to try to just do broth and stuff, but I MAY have to go off course. I'm not going to start over. It's a medical procedure and it's only for one day, so I'm not too worried about it long term. Besides, it's not my first rodeo. I'm doing this Whole100 more for staying on track, than I am to reintroduce things, ect.  I really would like to eat this way 97% of time and just have treats very seldom. That's yet to work out for me, but maybe after my second Whole100 I can work on at least staying PALEO which really is a goal for me.

This is the first time I've ever felt like all of this was just "normal". No pining after food I can't have, no wanting to go blow it on the weekends, nothing. I'm very very content, and it's calming! My boss gave us coffee mugs for Christmas filled with Hershey's kisses, and I haven't even looked at them. I do however, want to pass them along to someone who can eat them! That will get them off my desk!

Love this!!!

Day 18!!

I cannot believe it's been almost 20 days already!!!! This is the first time I've ever felt like all of this was just "normal". No pining after food I can't have, no wanting to go blow it on the weekends, nothing. I'm very very content, and it's calming! My boss gave us coffee mugs for Christmas filled with Hershey's kisses, and I haven't even looked at them. I do however, want to pass them along to someone who can eat them! That will get them off my desk!

It did occur to me, that I when I do my colonoscopy prep, that I might have to have something non-compliant. You have to go on a clear diet the day before, and that usually involves popsicles and jello. I'm going to try to just do broth and stuff, but I MAY have to go off course. I'm not going to start over. It's a medical procedure and it's only for one day, so I'm not too worried about it long term. Besides, it's not my first rodeo. I'm doing this Whole100 more for staying on track, than I am to reintroduce things, ect.  I really would like to eat this way 97% of time and just have treats very seldom. That's yet to work out for me, but maybe after my second Whole100 I can work on at least staying PALEO which really is a goal for me.

For my colonoscopy prep I had broth, sugar free Jello and vegetable juice. (I wasn't doing a Whole30, but if I were I'd still choose the sugar free Jello if I couldn't live on broth alone. But I'd avoid the Popsicles, sugar free or not.) Sugar free isn't ideal but it's better than sugar-loaded. It's no big deal to live on liquids for a day or two.

And you won't have to do another colonoscopy for another 5 or 10 years, depending on the results.

For my colonoscopy prep I had broth, sugar free Jello and vegetable juice. (I wasn't doing a Whole30, but if I were I'd still choose the sugar free Jello if I couldn't live on broth alone. But I'd avoid the Popsicles, sugar free or not.) Sugar free isn't ideal but it's better than sugar-loaded. It's no big deal to live on liquids for a day or two.

And you won't have to do another colonoscopy for another 5 or 10 years, depending on the results.

Thank you!

I honestly think I'd be fine on broth alone, as I used to do some fasting (awhile ago)  for 24 hours, so I k now I can do it. I am going to try like hell to stay compliant through it!

Archived