Whole100: Part 2! Starts December 1st

WholeMama623

Day 37!

I somehow lost a day somewhere and posted that yesterday was day35. It was actually day 36! It's getting all jumbled together.

Not much to say today except that I signed up for my 10th half marathon yesterday! It's on the C&O Towpath and that's where I train for my races, so it seems to be the perfect race for me! AND I got 50% off for being one of the first 20 people to register, so I only paid $23 for this! That's by far the cheapest race I've ever done. It is a very small race though. Last year was the first race and only 78 people ran! I'm used to races with about 15,000 so it will be quite a change! It's at the end of September, so I will have all spring and summer to get out there and get back into running. I'm so excited! it was just the motivation that I needed!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 39!

Nothing too crazy going on.  Meals have been pretty good. We have been eating a lot of chicken and I'm getting a little sick of it haha.  We do bone in thighs and bake them in the oven and the skin gets all crispy and delicious!

I'd like to make some chocolate chili sometime soon, that's always been a favorite of mine!

I'm starting to get a little nervous thinking about my colonoscopy, and admittedly thought about cancelling it several times. I just get the horrible feeling they aren't going to find anything and it's going to be another expensive procedure that I do for no reason. I actually won't cancel it, because maybe they will find whatever the issue is, but I'm going to be so bummed and exhausted with trying to find my health issues if it's nothing. So it's back and forth for me.

Britt ~   I think you should go forward with the colonoscopy (yes - my opinion certainly matters ! LOL)  the reason I think that is -  at least then you have 'base lines' for this.  If you have done that much - then if you decide you are not going to pursue this further beyond the colonoscopy,  but still have issues - and you have yet another one (colonscopy) you will have to something to compare to    Am I making any sense at all - cuz I feel that I am rambling.

Any way -  I feel the same way about turkey lately-   so back to my stand by of a roast.... and egg caseroles !!  LOL

Day 37!

I somehow lost a day somewhere and posted that yesterday was day35. It was actually day 36! It's getting all jumbled together.

Not much to say today except that I signed up for my 10th half marathon yesterday! It's on the C&O Towpath and that's where I train for my races, so it seems to be the perfect race for me! AND I got 50% off for being one of the first 20 people to register, so I only paid $23 for this! That's by far the cheapest race I've ever done. It is a very small race though. Last year was the first race and only 78 people ran! I'm used to races with about 15,000 so it will be quite a change! It's at the end of September, so I will have all spring and summer to get out there and get back into running. I'm so excited! it was just the motivation that I needed!

I wish you would come to Richmond and do the Monument Avenue 10K.  It's listed as one of the most popular 10ks in America... it's so much fun!  I used to run it but could only walk it now, I'm sure.  http://www.sportsbackers.org/events/monument-ave-10k/ 

I wish you would come to Richmond and do the Monument Avenue 10K.  It's listed as one of the most popular 10ks in America... it's so much fun!  I used to run it but could only walk it now, I'm sure.  http://www.sportsbackers.org/events/monument-ave-10k/ 

Donna, are you in Richmond!? My brother lives there! We are only about 3ish hours away in Hagerstown, MD.

Day 43!

- Face is a broken out mess

- Maybe have had some "eh" foods this weekend. I did the best I could, but I had some "dry" wings that were deep fried (didn't say that on the menu) and I was starving and wasn't going to send them back, so I ate them. I'm going to keep going because I'm doing this more for accountability than I am for figuring out foods that bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still trying to follow the rules, but I also try not to stress myself out over.

-My lower left quadrant pain is back with a vengeance. Now, I'm back to looking forward to the colonoscopy and hoping that they find something. The pain is really intense, and still feels like my ovary, but my GYN says they are fine. What else could it be? if it's not my colon, them I'm going back to Gyn and making them do more tests. It's SOMETHING.

- Super bloated today and I'm not sure why. AF just ended, and I'm usually deflating afterwards (LOL) so I'm thrown off by this. I did have a good bit of sodium this weekend, and I've been SUCKING at drinking a lot of water lately.

- I've said I was going to exercise, and I haven't. Not even once. I need to get better about that.

- I think I need to give up coffee for awhile. Blah.

Britt !  I know where you live - not physically !  but I have friends who live in the area - went to MD for vacation a couple of years ago-  will be heading back that way again in the future.

I really hope that they find out what is going on with you!!!

Britt !  I know where you live - not physically !  but I have friends who live in the area - went to MD for vacation a couple of years ago-  will be heading back that way again in the future.

I really hope that they find out what is going on with you!!!

How cool Tina!! That'd be amazing! There aren't a ton of "vacation" spots around here, so I can probably narrow it down! :)

Day 46!!!

My face continues to break out. I have no idea what's causing this, but it's highly irritating. I love the Whole100 because my face usually looks AWESOME during it, but this is ridiculous! all these red breakouts all over my chin. Grrrrrr. I once read online that breakouts in this zone were some how related to the GI tract and issues going on there. That would make a ton of sense, since I clearly have a GI issue.

My endo is running a bunch of lab work for me again, and i should know some results by next week. I have zero energy or motivation. I think I may need an adjustment to my medication. She's also testing my B12 and another B12 test that tests to see if my body is actually using the B12. Maybe this will give me some answers. B12 deficiency can cause stomach/intestinal problems.

We went to Whole Foods last weekend and got two bottles of Tessamae's! We got the Buffalo and Southwest Ranch. The buffalo is so so good. We've been putting it on our chicken and I'm obsessed!

Things are going well. On Monday i'll hit the halfway point already. WOW. How did that happen?

So my mom emailed me to articles today on Orthorexia. She's implying that I have an eating disorder because I'm doing a Whole100. I emailed her back and asked her "Is there some reason you would send this to me?" I mean how did these get sent to me if she didn't think they applied to me in some way? Surely not for fun reading.

She called me at work but I didn't answer.

Why are we not allowed to eat healthy ? I'm honestly so pissed right now. I do not see how eating clean, healthy foods is anywhere NEAR an eating disorder. I don't count calories, I don't weigh myself, I don't even take body measurements. I eat whatever want until I'm full. WHAT?

Day 50!!!!

HALFWAY POINT!

~~~~~~~~~~~

I won't lie when I say that this weekend was the closest I've come to quitting one of these. It wasn't even because I was in a bad spot, or frustrated. I was bored. We didn't leave the house yesterday and I was so hungry, yet I didn't want anything that I could have. I guess I'm getting a little bored with food, because honestly, we aren't getting that creative with cooking. We eat very basic meals because we don't have a huge budget for all the little things required to make a single recipe. Anyway, My daughter was eating a gluten free peanut butter sandwich and I REALLY wanted to take a bite. Luckily, I recognized it for what it was, and didn't give in. I always want to eat "bad" food when I'm bored. I have no idea why. This is why extended time off at home is not a good idea for me and why I like coming back to work after the holidays.

I know during a whole anything you are not supposed to weigh, but I did this weekend. Honestly, I'm not sure why? I've been and still am not concerned at all by the scale. So I hopped on. I've lost 7 lbs. yay! I still have 50 days to go, and I really want to start exercising 2-3 days a week, so maybe that will help that number edge down. Either way, I could care less. I'm back down in my smaller jeans, so I guessed that I was probably down again.

This Whole100 is more for maintaining staying on course, than it is figuring out what foods bother me. I know it's still a rule broken, but it's not my first time around. I plan on doing 2-3 Whole100's a year to keep myself "on course" and making this style of healthy living a LIFESTYLE change, and not just a diet. The biggest thing here is that the scale did not influence anything. I just put it back where it will sit for who knows how long.

It did make me think though. During my last Whole100, I lost exactly 7 lbs in 100 days. I didn't do any exercise, or restrict food in anyway. So I find it oddly coincidental, that that is exactly what I've lost this time so far. To me, it just seems like this is "how much my bloat weighs" and not actual weight loss. There is no way I've burned in excess of 21,000 calories seeing that I have NOT been active in the least. So, in a way, it's not really much of an accomplishment other than my pants have gotten bigger. Bloat or not, i'll take it. However, to lose anything else, I really do need to get my body moving, which I should be doing anyway.

Well, I hope I can inspire you because I started Round 3 today! Whoo hoo!

You are doing great. I think it is just as hard if not harder to remove bloat than to remove fat, because we have to be so careful about what we put in our bodies to reduce inflammation. PLUS we are not trying to burn calories - that's the Ghost of Diets Past talking. And finally, you really don't know what percentage of your weight loss is due to inflammation and what is due to burning fat. I hope you can enjoy being in the smaller size pants and (hopefully) feeling healthier. 

Maybe you can find a few basic meals that are different than the ones you are currently eating?

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!  :)  :wub:  :ph34r:  :P

So glad you are back Julie!!! I need the motivation!

and yes, no matter what, it's a nice bonus to see the scale back down. I just haven't been able to move that scale under 160 in over 18 months, but I just don't care anymore. My clothes are getting bigger, so something is changing!

You can find me here: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33537-chez-julie-whole30-round-3-log-11816/

I've also been thinking about continuing to do Whole30's from time to time. I feel like that's the only way it will start to "catch." Not that I see myself doing a Whole365, but it's going to take some counterprogramming to keep me from falling back into my old habits every time I end a Whole30.

Day 53

Everything is good. My colonoscopy is Monday, so my prep will be Sunday. I'm going to try to stick to broth only, but I did get some jello, just in case. It's going to be a LONG day without eating, so I might want some variation other than coffee, tea, and broth. My last meal will be Saturday night and I wont' be eating again Monday morning until after 12pm . SOooo a long time!

We are supposed to get 2 feet of snow this weekend, so I am thinking about calling my facility JUST to be sure they won't be closed. I certainly don't want to do the prep only to have it cancelled.

Day 58

Well, we got 3' of snow this weekend, and I had to reschedule my appointment. My GI office isn't even open today.

So, that's that.  I don't have a date for the new procedure yet.

I will say... 3 days of being inside with Cabin fever really got to me this weekend. I've talked before about how many days inside with no schedule make me want to eat non compliant things, and this weekend was no different.

For some reason, I really want a GF peanut butter sandwich. Every time I make them for my daughter, I WANT one. Luckily I did not give in, but it was REALLY REALLY hard this weekend.

Because I'm being honest: I did have ONE bite of jello this weekend. My daughter was "feeding" me and I took the bite.

So, if we're being real, I'm not really on day58, but I'm going to keep going. As I've said before, this whole100 is more a guide for me to stay on track.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do from here. Part of me wants to end it at 60 days, and then the other part of me questions "Why?" I know I can't eat that food all the time. So I think I have some "soul searching" to do.

So after more thought, I tried to type something out to my husband to articulate what I'm feeling right now. I'd love some thoughts. I feel like I'm too close to rationalize.

"

I’ve been thinking about it a lot this morning, and I’m not sure how much farther I want to take this Whole100.

It’s hard. It’s really hard. I know I cannot moderate. I know that once I eat something bad, it seems to set off an eternal downward slide, and I do the whole100 to counteract that, to keep myself on track. On the other hand though, I’m not really teaching myself how to “balance” good eating, with eating what I want every now and again, when I put myself on such strict restrictions.

I know that once I start eating grains again, the bloat comes back, my pants get tighter, and my eating goes to crap. Sometimes I just want to eat GF bread, or pancakes. I don’t know how to balance this. I can’t avoid “regular” eating forever, as whole100 is not a completely realistic way to eat most of the time.  It’s stressful, and I guess, as painful as it is to admit it, It kind of does feel like an eating disorder at times.

But then when I think about stopping the whole100, I get this feeling of anxiety that everything will go back to the way it does, because it always does. I find myself to start making “new rules” for myself like what I can have, and what I can avoid. "

I'm just so lost. I feel in a way that my Whole100 is actually avoidance in some way.

I just wanted to clarify...

I do not think Whole30 style eating is like an eating disorder and I was really pissed at my mom for sending me articles on me having an eating disorder, but sometimes it DOES feel like I obsess about food as much on a Whole100 as I did before when I was measuring and weighing all the time. FOR ME, it's not always healthy. It's like I swing from one extreme to the other (no method of healthy eating at all to extremely clean, strict Whole100), and that's what I'm trying to break away from somehow, some way.

I understand what you are saying. I did read the articles that your Mom sent you, and there is a ring of similarity between how orthorexia is described and how people talk on a Whole30. 

I don't have a good answer for you. Of course a Whole30 is only 30 days, so you've already done that and could switch to less restrictive eating. Being tormented about food isn't healthy either. 

I know the gluten-free grains stuff is what gets you eating unhealthily, much as sugar does me.

Thanks Julie.

You are right. I did 58 days of Whole30 style eating, and that's good for now. I have to realize that I don't need to do 100 days every time I want to get back on track. I talked to my husband yesterday and decided to aim more for Paleo and paleo treats and not to stress so much about everything.

When I feel like I'm getting off track, I will do Whole30's, but not 100's.

I am still so scared to step away from the Whole100 and that's what makes it feel SORT of like disordered eating. I'm relying on it way too much, almost like a crutch. I need to learn that how to eat outside of extremely strict guidelines and more importantly how to eat and NOT FEEL GUILTY about it.

So I guess maybe I should start a new "post" log?

Would anyone read my ramblings?

I have noticed that several times in the past couple days, I have woken COMPELTELY on my own in the morning. I cannot tell you how strange that is for me. Normally I wake at my alarm, or my daughter yelling for me. I never wake on my own. Whatever it means, I feel like it's a good sign!

I think that is a healthy decision for you. It's not even really supposed to be 100 days, and I think a lot of people open the pressure valve by switching to paleo so they can stick to healthier eating long term. I'd like to go Mediterranean/paleo myself. :D Maybe paleo treats will make it easier for you to enjoy what you eat without unleashing your gluten free dragon.  :)

I would follow your post-Whole30 ramblings! I enjoy them and it helps keep me motivated. 

Archived